Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all
    I'm getting my BSc in Electrical Engineering/Telecommunications in Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Iran. I'll be graduated this autumn and I am considering coming to UK to get my MSc.
    I got a lot of questions and I'm not even sure if this is the right place to ask but I hope you guys help me out.

So, first of all, what are the best places to study Telecoms in UK?
    More importantly, I wanna know what my chances are in getting into these top universities. The problem is I don't know how to convert the entry requirements to match what we have here in Iran.
    GPA here is measured out of 20. My overall GPA until now is 14.7/20 (hopefully 15/20 by the time I graduate) and we should get at least 10/20 to pass a course. Does anyone know how I can convert my GPA to these 2:1 and 2:2 stuff? And what are my chances with this GPA? Can I get into places like Imperial? Do I need to have publications in my resume to get into good universities? Do I need to contact professors before I apply as in US? :woo:

Finally, I know there's usually no deadline but when is the best time to apply?

P.S: Sorry for my poor English

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I dont know where is the best place to study telecommunications, but you can start off by looking at what their courses are, and are there any available telecommunicatinos-related research group in the uni. If you are not sure where to start, you could start searching postgraduate subjects in those find a masters website. or take one of the league tables as your starting point, look at the tables for electrical engineering subject, and start doing a research on their departments from the number 1.

however, in telecoms, the areas are quite broad, the subject that you want to study could help to determine which uni you are going to choose.

as for the other things, you can actually find these infos in various website...some unis posted their conversion for gpa for other countries.

you might also see as you continue browsing in this forum, that getting into uni requires combination of many factors, that are unique. some things may work for some people, some may not...keep getting as much infos as you can -TSR is a great place to start- whilst choosing which one that may work for you/matches your ability...

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milad)
    Hey all
    I'm getting my BSc in Electrical Engineering/Telecommunications in Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Iran. I'll be graduated this autumn and I am considering coming to UK to get my MSc.
    I got a lot of questions and I'm not even sure if this is the right place to ask but I hope you guys help me out.

So, first of all, what are the best places to study Telecoms in UK?
    More importantly, I wanna know what my chances are in getting into these top universities. The problem is I don't know how to convert the entry requirements to match what we have here in Iran.
    GPA here is measured out of 20. My overall GPA until now is 14.7/20 (hopefully 15/20 by the time I graduate) and we should get at least 10/20 to pass a course. Does anyone know how I can convert my GPA to these 2:1 and 2:2 stuff? And what are my chances with this GPA? Can I get into places like Imperial? Do I need to have publications in my resume to get into good universities? Do I need to contact professors before I apply as in US? :woo:

Finally, I know there's usually no deadline but when is the best time to apply?

P.S: Sorry for my poor English
    You're English is fine.:-)

1. I'm not sure what the best places to study telecoms are, but a quick google search shows that UCL, QMUL, City and Aston (All decent universities) offer a masters in telecommunications, see below:

http://www.ee.ucl.ac.uk/masters/msc-tcoms
    http://www1.aston.ac.uk/eas/postgrad...technology-cp/
    http://www.city.ac.uk/study/courses/...works-msc.html
    http://www.elec.qmul.ac.uk/study/msc/msctel.html

2. With regards to Iranian entry requirements, it would probably be best to email the university departments directly to see what grades they would expect from an Iranian student.

3. I wouldn't imagine that you'd need publications on your resume.

4. It is always best to apply as early as possible. Start preparing your applications now, and send them off in October/November.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.