Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got an interview in a couple of days...(Boots)

They said to dress smart...

However I have put on some weight and the trousers I would normally wear doesn't fit me and I don't have any skirts either, could I get away with wearing black jeans?

I plan to wear a smart white shirt which I plan to wear with a black strap top underneath..with hopefully the black jeans

You think this would be a problem?

Hmmm

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as someone who was a manager for several years and did the hiring and firing, yes.

I don't think anyone should turn up for an interview for a job that involves face-to-face contact with the public in jeans.

ReputationRep:
    Not really.

My advice would be to pop down to your 24-hour Asda and get a £6 pair of George trousers (the ones without the zips on the pockets).

The black jeans would look smart with a smart shirt, but not for an interview; it's just not the same.

ReputationRep:
    as long as not too tight, and not faded or anything, and the gold/silver/metal bits are not too obvious its ok.

perhaps go out and but a pair as u have a couple of days?

ReputationRep:
    kinda, jeans are sorta inappropriate for an interview.

ReputationRep:
    i personally wouldn't think its professional enough for an interview, even with a smart shirt
    can't you get anywhere to buy a cheap pair of black trousers?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Do NOT wear jeans to an interview. It looks completely unprofessional.

ReputationRep:
    No to the jeans, especially as they told you to dress smart.

ReputationRep:
    No to jeans.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, i have the same problem...!

But mine is that the only black smart trousers i have are 3/4 length, dont really think this would be acceptable would it?!

Might have to go to George at asda, if they have some for £6! LOL, saw some lovely ones in Newlook today, but they were grey, dont think Grey's good for an interview either!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I work for Boots, and a woman got a job at our store wearing a big woolly cardy thing, lol. My boss is really nice though, unfortunately not all Boots managers are, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Can i come for for your boots?! haha... i'm going to hope everyone else turns up looking less smart, is that mean? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    I got an interview in a couple of days...(Boots)

They said to dress smart...

However I have put on some weight and the trousers I would normally wear doesn't fit me and I don't have any skirts either, could I get away with wearing black jeans?

I plan to wear a smart white shirt which I plan to wear with a black strap top underneath..with hopefully the black jeans

You think this would be a problem?

Hmmm
    I wore black jeans, black heeled boots & smart top to my Sainsburys interview, for similar reasons to yours, & got the job. I guess it varies to whos interviewing you. Mine werent faded & were bootleg, so wasn't any of these drainpipe/skinnys lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tick.tock)
    Ahhh, i have the same problem...!

But mine is that the only black smart trousers i have are 3/4 length, dont really think this would be acceptable would it?!

Might have to go to George at asda, if they have some for £6! LOL, saw some lovely ones in Newlook today, but they were grey, dont think Grey's good for an interview either!? :confused:
    I'd think smart grey trousers are perfectly fine

If at all possible I would avoid jeans.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone, i found some black trousers

ReputationRep:
    I wore jeans to an interview. I got the job :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    I wore jeans and a hoody to my interview, and I got the job! Lucky or what?! Well, it was about 8:30pm and I only just got the answerphone message!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Monkey)
    I'd think smart grey trousers are perfectly fine

If at all possible I would avoid jeans.
    Thanks I went and ordered them along with a nice bright blue shirt/Blouse.

Now i've just got to wait, errr, just under two weeks! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    I wore jeans to an interview. I got the job :indiff:
    Yeh it can happen but I think it's best to avoid wearing jeans if possible, just in case!

On the advert for a job I recently had an interview for, it stated that staff in the college are expected to wear suits. I didn't have a suit and couldn't afford to pay a bean for one so I went wearing black trousers, a cream top (not blouse because I recently grew out of mine ) and a black cardy. The other two candidates turned up in suits. Oh and one came late wearing black trousers and a shirt. I got the job (I'm really proud so some congrats here would be massively appreciated ) But in fairness I was still smart and formal I think jeans are far too casual.

ReputationRep:
    i wore white jeans to an interview and got a job only wore them as they were the only trousers that fit me at the time and wasnt going to pay £40 for a pair of black trousers that would fit! (topshop petite is the only range where trousers fit me as im only 4'11)

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.