Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a SA vet, kennel and dairy farm experience (stables is happening at the moment, gonna hopefully get a large animal and abattoir).
    I asked the farmer for a reference and he said he'd send it out but didn't. The small animal vet I stopped about mid-may as I got a part time job. I meant to go say thankyou-as many vets wouldnt allow it, I thought they deserved a card or something- but just never got around to it. I planned to request a reference when I went. I also did a kennels for a week in around April, and the kennel woman promised me a summer job, which I never got. The reference from there just totally slipped my mind- probably as I thought I'd be back in summer for more work.
    Now, by reading all of that- would it be too cheeky to suddenly phone up and ask for references from these?
    I know I really need them .

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for it personally.
    I'd feel a little cheeky chasing up the farmer as I'd be worried he'd think I was nagging. But the others you haven't asked before, and probably will be expecting it if they know you're intending to go into it.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, but Id say phone them up except the vets, they might want a letter so they remember to do it (I had to write a letter to ask for a reference). It doesnt sound too cheeky, you do kinda need them! Sometimes people dont know what kind of format to do, and that can put them off, so a pointer might be appreciated, e.g. saying when you worked, what you did etc. Most wont give a detailed reference, esp if you didnt work there long.
    Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd go for it. When I had to get a contact for the Liverpool questionnaire last year I emailed a place I went to in 2005 (this was in Australia btw!) and got a lovely email back with a reference. I think having the references is really worth it.

ReputationRep:
    just explain your situation and I'm sure they'll all be fine about it
    dont worry- I felt very very cheeky chasing people up for referancs, but it has to be done!! TBH I went to a stables I hadn't ridden/ worked at in over 2.5 years and asked if they could do me a referance and they were fine about it - so you'll be 'rite

ReputationRep:
    Just keep chasing really, for some of mine I had to send letter after letter until they finally came through, and one or two of them are literally just a few lines long after all that...although at least it was proof that I did go there and do what I said.

Did get a bit worried once though when I went to a leisure farm for a week and phoned up and asked for a reference the week after and the farm manager denied any knowledge that I'd ever been there .... that was an interesting conversation

ReputationRep:
    Wot did you do about the leisure farm reference???

ReputationRep:
    i asked for a reference from a vets i went to in year 10 in january, and they gave me a very good one. but it was the vets i take my dog to so they still remembered me quite well.
    go for it, it cant do any harm and could well prove very useful

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.