Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a SA vet, kennel and dairy farm experience (stables is happening at the moment, gonna hopefully get a large animal and abattoir).
    I asked the farmer for a reference and he said he'd send it out but didn't. The small animal vet I stopped about mid-may as I got a part time job. I meant to go say thankyou-as many vets wouldnt allow it, I thought they deserved a card or something- but just never got around to it. I planned to request a reference when I went. I also did a kennels for a week in around April, and the kennel woman promised me a summer job, which I never got. The reference from there just totally slipped my mind- probably as I thought I'd be back in summer for more work.
    Now, by reading all of that- would it be too cheeky to suddenly phone up and ask for references from these?
    I know I really need them .

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for it personally.
    I'd feel a little cheeky chasing up the farmer as I'd be worried he'd think I was nagging. But the others you haven't asked before, and probably will be expecting it if they know you're intending to go into it.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, but Id say phone them up except the vets, they might want a letter so they remember to do it (I had to write a letter to ask for a reference). It doesnt sound too cheeky, you do kinda need them! Sometimes people dont know what kind of format to do, and that can put them off, so a pointer might be appreciated, e.g. saying when you worked, what you did etc. Most wont give a detailed reference, esp if you didnt work there long.
    Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd go for it. When I had to get a contact for the Liverpool questionnaire last year I emailed a place I went to in 2005 (this was in Australia btw!) and got a lovely email back with a reference. I think having the references is really worth it.

ReputationRep:
    just explain your situation and I'm sure they'll all be fine about it
    dont worry- I felt very very cheeky chasing people up for referancs, but it has to be done!! TBH I went to a stables I hadn't ridden/ worked at in over 2.5 years and asked if they could do me a referance and they were fine about it - so you'll be 'rite

ReputationRep:
    Just keep chasing really, for some of mine I had to send letter after letter until they finally came through, and one or two of them are literally just a few lines long after all that...although at least it was proof that I did go there and do what I said.

Did get a bit worried once though when I went to a leisure farm for a week and phoned up and asked for a reference the week after and the farm manager denied any knowledge that I'd ever been there .... that was an interesting conversation

ReputationRep:
    Wot did you do about the leisure farm reference???

ReputationRep:
    i asked for a reference from a vets i went to in year 10 in january, and they gave me a very good one. but it was the vets i take my dog to so they still remembered me quite well.
    go for it, it cant do any harm and could well prove very useful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.