Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I have just finished my A levels at a Sixth form college. Last year I applied for medicine 2009 entry and received 4 rejections. The plan has been to apply again this cycle for 2010 entry but I am still in 2 minds for a number of reasons.

I have thought for a long time that I'd like a career in banking. It has never been something I have followed up or researched in great detail because I caught the "medicine bug" when I started sixth form and have focused all my energy on that so far. I have no work experience related to banking or finance. I have heard about gap year programmes run by banks but I assume I am too late for this now. Any information or advice would be appreciated. (My A Levels are Maths, Biology, Chemistry, I also have an AS in Further Maths at Grade A. I'm predicted AAA)

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Bump.
    Any advice at all? Is there any way I could gain work experience at short notice?

ReputationRep:
    Why are you applying for medicine when you're interested in finance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benh842)
    Why are you applying for medicine when you're interested in finance?
    Because having doctor status means you're above everyone else including investment bankers...

ReputationRep:
    She applIED, past tense. Check out the Introduction to investment banking thread on these forums, theres a lot of quality information on there.

ReputationRep:
    And "the plan has been to apply again".

Yes, this is directed at you, the ******* who neg rep'd me.

ReputationRep:
    A hedge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.