Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Theres this guy who I recently started to like a lot, but we are in the 'friends zone' so we've become quite good friends. I want to tell him that I like him (I live in London, he lives in another town so I don't see him often), but I'm scared that it will ruin our friendship if he doesn't like me in the same way. He's quite popular with the girls, but he's never really wanted to be in a relationship. I know him quite well and I know that he's a very sweet guy, but I don't know what to do? should I tell him that I like him or not? I'm seeing him next week at a get-together at my mates house here in london, what should I do?
    Lately he seems really keen starting most of the convo's, text and msn, and we share all the same interests etc(music, sport)
    what should I do?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation, so let me tell you this from the male perspective- if he has feelings for you, he's thinking this exact same thing and whoever just goes for it will do the other a big favour. Either way, he will be immeasurably flattered. There is no way he'll be offended, hurt, bemused or any of the other stuff people sometimes imagine folk will be. Just come clean and see how it goes!

ReputationRep:
    If he's as nice as you seem to make out, he wont give a ****.

ReputationRep:
    Try and arrange a meet up away from your friends and see how you feel about it after that, drop it in casually and keep it casual, see how that goes and then approach the idea of telling him then, by then he shall at least have some idea i would have thought.

Go for it, you only live once

ReputationRep:
    hmm I tried before, but he couldn't that day. He did say that I should stay over sometime and that we should do something together, but when I tried to arange something he couldn't make it, twice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michellestar)
    hmm I tried before, but he couldn't that day. He did say that I should stay over sometime and that we should do something together, but when I tried to arange something he couldn't make it, twice.
    It could be genuine, for now try not to think bad and keep positive, try once more and ask him when he is free, so then he dosent have the excuse that he is busy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom_tom_tom)
    It could be genuine, for now try not to think bad and keep positive, try once more and ask him when he is free, so then he dosent have the excuse that he is busy.
    thank you for your comments

any more opinions?

ReputationRep:
    If he's not a shy guy and he liked you he would've done something about it by now I'm afraid.

I've been in the same situation for months, it's so frustrating! I'm pretty shy so don't say anything, he's said a few months back that he fancied me and we should meet up etc.. but that kinda never happened, I guess due to us being in separate cities because of university. And we've never brought it up again, we've met up loads, with both people asking to meet. And we talk 'til really late/early in the morning for hours. But I think we're just friends. Sucks as I really quite like him.. any help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forsaken_earth)
    If he's not a shy guy and he liked you he would've done something about it by now I'm afraid.
    he's shy and not really forward when it comes to relationships and stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiko 1001)
    I'm in a similar situation, so let me tell you this from the male perspective- if he has feelings for you, he's thinking this exact same thing and whoever just goes for it will do the other a big favour. Either way, he will be immeasurably flattered. There is no way he'll be offended, hurt, bemused or any of the other stuff people sometimes imagine folk will be. Just come clean and see how it goes!
    This is really wonderful advice - if I'd been able to word it well, I would said this.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him that you like him and if he doesn't like u back just ask if u can stay friends

ReputationRep:
    I just talked to him on msn, this is the convo:

Jake says: michelleeeee

Jake says: What have you been up to?

M. says: Heyy Im alright, how about you?

Jake says: Yeah I’m great thanks.

Jake says: You still going to andys next weds?

M. says: Yeah I am, are you?

Jake says: Not sure man, I cant stay over nymore at chris’s cause hes going on holiday, so don’t know if its worth me traveling all the way there and back on the same day, if you know what I mean.

M. says: Oh bummer! Hmm, sure you cant stay anywhere else?

Jake says: Dunno really, cant be arsed to ask people

Jake says: Would have been nice to see you though, was really the only reason I was coming, really missed you, been too long.

M. says: Why don’t you stay at mine? I don’t mind.

Jake says: You sure? Yeah that will be cool.

M. says: yeah ofcourse! would be such a shame if you didnt come, havent seen you for too long.

Jake says: I know.

Jake says: If youre bored sometime over summer, you can always come down here and stay with me.

Jake says: I mean, it would be nice for everyone to see you, my sister adores you lol

aaaaaaaaaah hes on msn now, I never really know what to say :|

ReputationRep:
    hes still online, aaaah I really dont know what to say really.

ReputationRep:
    I just talked to him on msn, this is the convo:

Jake says: michelleeeee

Jake says: What have you been up to?

M. says: Heyy Im alright, how about you?

Jake says: Yeah I’m great thanks.

Jake says: You still going to andys next weds?

M. says: Yeah I am, are you?

Jake says: Not sure man, I cant stay over nymore at chris’s cause hes going on holiday, so don’t know if its worth me traveling all the way there and back on the same day, if you know what I mean.

M. says: Oh bummer! Hmm, sure you cant stay anywhere else?

Jake says: Dunno really, cant be arsed to ask people

Jake says: Would have been nice to see you though, was really the only reason I was coming, really missed you, been too long.

M. says: Why don’t you stay at mine? I don’t mind.

Jake says: You sure? Yeah that will be cool.

M. says: yeah ofcourse! would be such a shame if you didnt come, havent seen you for too long.

Jake says: I know.

Jake says: If youre bored sometime over summer, you can always come down here and stay with me.

Jake says: I mean, it would be nice for everyone to see you, my sister adores you lol

aaaaaaaaaah hes on msn now, I never really know what to say :|
    With a conversation like that, as a guy, I wouldn't be saying things like that if I wasn't interested in the girl. And the whole staying at yours thing.....I say go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grantrough)
    With a conversation like that, as a guy, I wouldn't be saying things like that if I wasn't interested in the girl. And the whole staying at yours thing.....I say go for it
    I thought it would have been weird if i asked him, but it seemed ok and apropiate.
    though he is still online and not replying back for ages now?

ReputationRep:
    I thought it would have been weird if i asked him, but it seemed ok and apropiate.
    though he is still online and not replying back for ages now?
    what did you say to him?

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, this is the story of my life. At least currently :sad: :p:

ReputationRep:
    basicly this, still no reply :|

M. says: Aaah shes adorable, I love your little sister lol

Jake says: so are you sure about me coming over next week? how long you want me to stay for?

M. says: Yeah ofcourse!

M. says: however long you want really, finished a levels anyway so not doing much anyway.

Jake says: I really cant wait I think we should just ditch the party and go out or something :P

M. says: Haah.. we can't really do that though, its his bday party...but if you stay for a few nights then we could do stuff together?

STILL NO REPLY aaah I think I said something to put him off or something

im so paranoid haha

ReputationRep:
    "Jake says: I really cant wait I think we should just ditch the party and go out or something :P"

No, he said it first. And if he is saying he can't wait to see you, kind of weird thing to say to just a friend. Persevere

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.