Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, so I'm graduating next week and am looking for a bit of advice from people who've already had their graduation or have got their ceremony coming up and got their outfits planned etc.

My dilemma is that we've been 'strongly advised' to wear something with buttons on, i.e. a shirt or blouse teamed with a skirt or trousers yet I have a really nice black tulip dress that I'd already planned to wear from ages ago ! Apparantly its something to do with the hood being heavy or something :confused:. The problem is, if I follow their advice, I'll have to buy a whole new outfit which my funds aren't really permitting at the mo. Anyone know if I'll be able to get away with a load of safety pins to pin it all up or is it going to be impractical? Should I give in and buy a new outfit? If so, another issue is that I don't really do skirts....is it common for many girls to wear trousers at graduation?

Someone please help!

ReputationRep:
    Based on all the graduation pictures ive seen from friends over the last week or so, there were loads wearing normal dresses. I imagine you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Wear the dress :>
    I wore an apple-green dress at my graduation ... no w8 that was the first part

on the second we had robes which covered everything - but I had black short trousers and shiny top.

As a whole dark trousers and a white chemise/ blouse would be also ok

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation, I know we've been advised to wear something with buttons but I hate wearing shirts and would much rather wear something else, I'm just worried about not having anything to attach the hood to. :-/

ReputationRep:
    Wear the dress you've got and see if safety pins will balance out the weight of the robe or just put up with it during the ceremony. I've seen lots of girls graduating in pretty dresses instead of collared shirts.

ReputationRep:
    I just graduted and wore a blouse because I was told buttons were necessary-they really aren't, wear your dress Wish I hadn't listened!

ReputationRep:
    Do they have safety pins there or should we bring some? I don't have any.

At graduation this week people are wearing anything and everything, girls in dresses, skirts and tops, shirts, leggings, pumps, heels. Anything goes and a couple of safety pins should sort you out.

ReputationRep:
    Pfft, I dont know what to wear to mine now, in all the photos Ive seen on facebook all the girls are wearing blouses and skirts. I dont like wearing blouses because they always end up gaping and looking stupid/showing a bit of my bra, but I also dont want to look stupid or be inappropriate, grr.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.