Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Want to increase upper body strength without going to the gym - suggestions? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to increase the strength of my upper body, but without having to pay loads for the gym. Any suggestions? Shops I could go to, websites that will tell me the best ways to do it, exercises I could do? I'm kind of clueless :confused:

ReputationRep:
    dumb bells

ReputationRep:
    Do press ups, do about 50 a day.
    buy a powerball, use it regularly.
    w/\*k.
    sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Press ups as think about it it does your arms and chest.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but where do I get dumb bells from? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    fight a bull... XD

No srly, weights and push ups and boxing (?) should do the trick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    I'd like to increase the strength of my upper body, but without having to pay loads for the gym. Any suggestions? Shops I could go to, websites that will tell me the best ways to do it, exercises I could do? I'm kind of clueless :confused:
    Are they selling upper body strength on the high street these days? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    strenth or size? pushups doesn't really build bigger muscle, only stronger. Buy some free weights, it's not that expensive and you will get a better workout

ReputationRep:
    The dumb bell superstore, duhhhh

ReputationRep:
    Lots of places sell them, id recommend argos.

ReputationRep:
    go to the gym, simplez!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saro_656)
    Do press ups, do about 50 a day.
    buy a powerball, use it regularly.
    w/\*k.
    sorted.
    how do these powerballs help create strength ?

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't bother with a powerball, just do weighted press ups, chins off a tree branch or something, handstand presess?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nessiehibs)
    i wouldnt at all. Have you seen the **** they sell?

Gumtree or ebay would be a smarter place to look. Thousands of people every year buy fitness equipment then give up and sell it on for a fraction of the price.

The only thing to watch out for is the delivery charges. Unfortunately by their very nature weights tend to weight quite alot and thus are expensive to deliver. But if you or a friend has a car thats not a problem.

Do plenty of research but- some dumbells, barbell, bench and enough plates to get started might cost you maybe <£100? (is that wildly uninformed/optimistic?)

ReputationRep:
    Pull ups, chin-ups. If you can't do them do push ups. Use dumbells for compound exercises like squats and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to pay loads for the gym. Find a small weights gym, they generally don't charge that much.
    Also, why just your upper body? Training your lower body actually stimulates muscel growth in the whole body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nessiehibs)

This. It's where I got mine a few years ago.

A simple starter set would cost £20-25ish - 2kg weights, 1.5kg weights, and a few assorted smaller ones etc - you can then update it and work your way up from there to 5kg weights, 10kg, 25kg, or even barbells if you want one. Don't forget press-ups too.

ReputationRep:
    I've gained two stone (pretty skinny before I started) in the last year using a set of dumbbells in my house. What's a zillion times more important then whether or not you attend a gym is whether or not you have drive and determination. Sure you can counter that by saying a gym environment helps foster that determination or whatever but at the end of the day, you either have it or you don't. Just use free weights, do some research, eat very well for your body type and personal circumstances and you'll see results.

P.S I mean two 'good' stones - primarily muscle.

ReputationRep:
    i'd say get a decent set of dumbells (i.e. one's that can be loaded to 30kg + each) and a bench....then ur sorted for arms and chest

nothing compares to the atmosphere of a proper gym though, also, you shouldnt just train your upper body unless your lower body is in such good shape that its making your upper body look out of proportion...however, having said that, it is hard to train lower body outside of a gym, as a squat rack will set you back a fair amount and take up a lot of space

ReputationRep:
    get a chin up bar and your sorted...this is a handy site http://www.frixo.com/sites/fitness/exercises.html

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.