Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    OP you're making out as if people join the armed forces to become hereos. You should join the armed forces to serve your country then it wont matter to you if your efforts go unappreciated because youre doing what you want to do. I myself will be off to join the RAF once i finish my aero degree and i wont care if brits are ungrateful; as long as i know i'm serving my country that will make me happy. Also, your title is misleading because all you seemed to do is moan about foriegners and muslims, which has got nothing to do with the topic.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I disagree with the recent wars, however I have a lot of respect for those that are willing to die for their cause; mainly because I would never do it. I actually have this mate who wants to do engineering and finds the only way to do this is to join the Armed Forces. I was very confused.

ReputationRep:
    Don't blame Muslims for not being supportive......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teshla^^)
    Don't blame Muslims for not being supportive......
    Why? They're British people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemagic)
    I myself will be off to join the RAF once i finish my aero degree and i wont care if brits are ungrateful; as long as i know i'm serving my country that will make me happy.
    What is your 'country'? You're going to be fighting for a piece of land? Clearly, you're fighting for the people of the United Kingdom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    Why? They're British people.
    Invading two Muslim countries resulting in huge losses of innocent life.

I'm not even Muslim but if the British Armed forces suddenly invaded India I would hate them with a passion....

ReputationRep:
    For me personally, when I applied it was for the package; having to keep fit; being part of an odd, slightly aggressive family; being able to move away; having a decent post-training salary; having some form of prospect. And, sure you have to goto war but that is part of the reason people join up anyway even if they don't admit it.

Instead I'm now going off to study chemistry but tbh, given the opportunity I would still sign up but maybe that's just me being a bit "bat-****".

ReputationRep:
    Job security, it gives you a lot of transferable skills for later on in life (e.g. leadership, self-discipline), as well as the possibility of qualifications such as NVQ, a driving licence and such, it lets you travel the world, it gives people who haven't got a lot of (or any) qualifications get going career-wise, etc etc etc.

EDIT: And most of the guys I've met in the Army don't give a flying **** about criticism. At least they have a job and aren't on the dole.

ReputationRep:

I'm not even Muslim but if the British Armed forces suddenly invaded India I would hate them with a passion....
    Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FiveFiveSix)
    Grow up.
    Yes,i shall sit here with a smile on my face whilst my motherland is being destroyed.

ReputationRep:
    Pro graphics, physics and AI.

ReputationRep:

So, you advocate the fact that Muslims consider themselves a Muslim before a Briton?

If they feel so passionately about this 'invasion', why do they continue to stay in Britain?

ReputationRep:
    What is your 'country'? You're going to be fighting for a piece of land? Clearly, you're fighting for the people of the United Kingdom.
    Quite right, I am aiming to join the RAF too but the under lying reason is not that I want to fight for my country although that is an element to it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes,i shall sit here with a smile on my face whilst my motherland is being destroyed.
    :rolleyes:

We're in one of those countries at the behest of their government. You'd rather we let India destroy itself rather than step in?

ReputationRep:
    No grow up, what reason would the United Kingdom have to invade India?

(Original post by cornford4)
    Quite right, I am aiming to join the RAF too but the under lying reason is not that I want to fight for my country although that is an element to it.
    Generally you don't expect to go to war as a soldier for a western country. Even the US, before 9/11, tried to keep away (after vietnam).

I wouldn't be able to kill another human for an idea so loose as a nation, if i were to be honest, no matter how much i loved my "country" (and i do, believe me), unless i was forced into it or it was a war of defence.

ReputationRep:
    I think people do it to serve queen and country... the honour and thrill of warfare

ReputationRep:
    So you advocate the fact that Muslims consider themselves a Muslim before a Briton?

If they feel so passionately about this 'invasion', why do they continue to stay in Britain?
    Yes, every muslim i know considers themselves such. But let me stress that this is only in my own experience....obviously the muslims I know don't represent a whole group of people.

Because they want to?

ReputationRep:
    For those claiming it's purely a career choice for the financial and excitement rewards, I can certainly think of jobs with better pay which do not involve risking your life day after day and leaving your family behind, even if you (personally) don't have the best of career prospects.
    The people who join the army as privates will most likely come from rough areas where there are very few job prospects. £21k a year is a very good wage and you also get included in this food and accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    And which regiment are you in?
    I answered why people join the army, this doesn't apply to me. That is why I used the word "I".

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.