Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teshla^^)
    I'm not even Muslim but if the British Armed forces suddenly invaded India I would hate them with a passion....
    That's because you're Indian, not British.

Any anyway, if they suddenly invaded anywhere it wouldn't be because they wanted to. Can you not make the distinction between the political and the tool of that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FiveFiveSix)
    :rolleyes:

We're in one of those countries at the behest of their government. You'd rather we let India destroy itself rather than step in?
    I'd rather the Indian people had a chance to solve the problem themselves before external intervention was required.....if that ever happened.

I dunno maybe i view this differently...No-one is questioning the commitment and professionalism of the British troops....that has never been in doubt...its the cause they are fighting for which is under scrutiny.

Even though this example is far-fetched:

If you were an English person living in Iraq / Afghanistan and their armed forces invaded England...can you honestly say you would support them 100% ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cornford4)
    No grow up, what reason would the United Kingdom have to invade India?
    It was a far-fetched hypothetical example....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Generally you don't expect to go to war as a soldier for a western country. Even the US, before 9/11, tried to keep away (after vietnam).
    Really? Both British and US forces have been on operations almost continuously since the end of the second world war (there might be a single year, in the sixties I think, where British troops weren't deployed on ops - outside of NI and Germany of course).

(Original post by Renal)
    Really? Both British and US forces have been on operations almost continuously since the end of the second world war (there might be a single year, in the sixties I think, where British troops weren't deployed on ops - outside of NI and Germany of course).
    In a full fludged conflict? I mean a proper war, not a peacekeeping operation or pacification mission like NI or various UN missions.

ReputationRep:
    The army is a natural choice for many people with poor qualifications. You get a lot of your food and accomodation paid for, you get to travel the world, you get to do outdoors stuff and you get to do a lot of sporty stuff (kayaking, SCUBA diving, skiing etc.). Many people also feel proud.

Invading two Muslim countries resulting in huge losses of innocent life.

I'm not even Muslim but if the British Armed forces suddenly invaded India I would hate them with a passion....
    Even if there was a good reason?

There is a difference between liking your country, and Hitler-style blind nationalism.

ReputationRep:
    No-one is questioning the commitment and professionalism of the British troops....that has never been in doubt...its the cause they are fighting for which is under scrutiny.
    For which you want to blame the soldiers themselves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Even if there was a good reason?

There is a difference between liking your country, and Hitler-style blind nationalism.
    The biggest losers in any war are the inhabitants...feeling compassion for my fellow folk is not hard to relate to?

ReputationRep:
    In a full fludged conflict? I mean a proper war, not a peacekeeping operation or pacification mission like NI or various UN missions.
    A full-fledged conflict? Not like Iraq '91 or Grenada then?

ReputationRep:
    3 words: French Foreign legion - seriously when Legionaires get back from deployment they recieve more respect from the french public than british soldiers do from their own country.

But seriously I think most people (including me!) are very greatfull for our troops

ReputationRep:
    2 reasons:

1) Fantastic employee benefits package
    2) They always look good on Top Gear

(Original post by Renal)
    A full-fledged conflict? Not like Iraq '91 or Grenada then?
    Those didn't exactly last long. Operation Urgent Fury was less than two months and Desert Storm (1) was 7 months long.

Operation Enduring Freedom was launched on October 7 2001. Compare to Vietnam, a two decade long + conflict (depends if you count the French efforts) or Korea (not as long as Afghanistan but still a long term thing).

ReputationRep:
    im thinking of joining up because i am so bored.
    im dreading the fact im probably going to end up in a boring 9-5 job get pissed on a friday and saturday and repeat.

ReputationRep:
    People need to grow up, get out of their bedroom and experience some life and then come back with an opinion.
    Some people also need to a) research what they're saying, b) learn a few things.

ReputationRep:
    Those didn't exactly last long. Operation Urgent Fury was less than two months and Desert Storm (1) was 7 months long.

Operation Enduring Freedom was launched on October 7 2001. Compare to Vietnam, a two decade long + conflict (depends if you count the French efforts) or Korea (not as long as Afghanistan but still a long term thing).
    So your point is that nobody joined the military thinking they were going to fight because (apart from the last seven years) we haven't had a 'proper' war in a bit? :curious:

Soldiers may not be famed for their education but many would have been hard pressed to miss events in NI or FI, including the soldiers who didn't return.

ReputationRep:
    my brother is adament of joinng the Royal Navy as a warfare officer and i know he will do it!
    he wants the life at sea, to get the experiences the Navy brings
    he's not bothered about the pay (meh not much to spend it on when you're offshore!!)

(Original post by Renal)
    So your point is that nobody joined the military thinking they were going to fight because (apart from the last seven years) we haven't had a 'proper' war in a bit? :curious:

Soldiers may not be famed for their education but many would have been hard pressed to miss events in NI or FI, including the soldiers who didn't return.
    Well the thing about the short term conflicts is that the reservists and the "national guard" / "territorial army" types are rarely called into it because it generally goes smoothly and well and there's no need. And even the front line types get out of it quickly with almost no casualties.

I probably shouldn't have called it a "proper war". What i meant was a "prolonged war", the type that results in most casualties (like Vietnam, Korea, WW2).

ReputationRep:
    Well the thing about the short term conflicts is that the reservists and the "national guard" / "territorial army" types are rarely called into it because it generally goes smoothly and well and there's no need. And even the front line types get out of it quickly with almost no casualties.

I probably shouldn't have called it a "proper war". What i meant was a "prolonged war", the type that results in most casualties (like Vietnam, Korea, WW2).
    Fair enough, but that still only applies to Terriers, and even then only to those with more than seven years in.

(Original post by Renal)
    Fair enough, but that still only applies to Terriers, and even then only to those with more than seven years in.
    Hmm, i guess i was wrong about the UK.

I stick to my statement about other Western countries though

I guess it doesn't apply to the US anymore. I know a firefighter who was in the NG and was called up for various tours of duty to Iraq

ReputationRep:
    Nothing better to do? Most people I know who joined the army did it because they couldn't think of much else to do, and nearly all of them wish they hadn't.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.