Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    What made you choose that?
    i dont know, ive wanted to join for a while now (i forget the actual reasons, just mainly dont want to go uk armed forces and dont want to go to uni) but theres two regiments of infantry which i dont fancy and couple of engineers which i dont like the look of either, and then theres cavalry which looks pretty good and theres paras, with paras theyve got a brilliant reputation and its full of brits also theres loads of comapnies you can go into, ie sniper and demolition, mountain warfare and urban warfare D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    i dont know, ive wanted to join for a while now (i forget the actual reasons, just mainly dont want to go uk armed forces and dont want to go to uni) but theres two regiments of infantry which i dont fancy and couple of engineers which i dont like the look of either, and then theres cavalry which looks pretty good and theres paras, with paras theyve got a brilliant reputation and its full of brits also theres loads of comapnies you can go into, ie sniper and demolition, mountain warfare and urban warfare D:
    How come you arn't interested in the British armed forces..some sort of French connection?

ReputationRep:
    Why do people become lumberjacks? Killing millions of innocent trees and it's an incredibly dangerous job where many people are killed themselves.

Must be the muslims.

ReputationRep:
    How come you arn't interested in the British armed forces..some sort of French connection?
    i dont know, i wanted to be a pilot but my maths is ****, and the only other uk forces id want to apply for is the marines, and well thats too tough to get through to be honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    i dont know, i wanted to be a pilot but my maths is ****, and the only other uk forces id want to apply for is the marines, and well thats too tough to get through to be honest
    I used to want to be a pilot but my eyesight is ****. Is the Marines that much harder than 2REP, they are both special/elite forces?

ReputationRep:
    I used to want to be a pilot but my eyesight is ****. Is the Marines that much harder than 2REP, they are both special/elite forces?
    i really dont know mate, ive known a few people who are tough *******s, intelligent and fit get turned down by the marines. but saying that once you past initial tests in france youre sent to whats called "the farm" and thats meant to be brutal but yeah theyre both elite forces

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    i really dont know mate, ive known a few people who are tough *******s, intelligent and fit get turned down by the marines. but saying that once you past initial tests in france youre sent to whats called "the farm" and thats meant to be brutal but yeah theyre both elite forces
    Awesome, good luck with it all then, been nice speaking to you.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, good luck with it all then, been nice speaking to you.
    cheers pal

you too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    For those claiming it's purely a career choice for the financial and excitement rewards, I can certainly think of jobs with better pay which do not involve risking your life day after day and leaving your family behind, even if you (personally) don't have the best of career prospects.
    I'd disagree with this statement. I've just graduated from a top university, and the only thing stopping me from jumping straight into the armed forces is that I don't want to be apart from my girlfriend. Note that I would apply to be an officer.

Pros: Better pay than most city jobs, with heavily subsidised pay and accommodation. Lots of physical activity. More honourable than any city job. Give you leadership skills like no other job will. Good pension and benefits, with more holiday than any city job. Gain qualifications during career. Plenty of opportunity to travel.

Cons: Could get shot, but for an officer this is unlikely and is comparable to any other everyday risk; you'll be working at the base, not on the frontline. Also being away from home.

It's certainly not for everyone, but I honestly don't believe that any other job incorporates so many positive things into one job.

ReputationRep:
    To turn me on?

ReputationRep:
    zing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gazumped)
    I'd disagree with this statement. I've just graduated from a top university, and the only thing stopping me from jumping straight into the armed forces is that I don't want to be apart from my girlfriend. Note that I would apply to be an officer.

Pros: Better pay than most city jobs, with heavily subsidised pay and accommodation. Lots of physical activity. More honourable than any city job. Give you leadership skills like no other job will. Good pension and benefits, with more holiday than any city job. Gain qualifications during career. Plenty of opportunity to travel.

Cons: Could get shot, but for an officer this is unlikely and is comparable to any other everyday risk; you'll be working at the base, not on the frontline. Also being away from home.

It's certainly not for everyone, but I honestly don't believe that any other job incorporates so many positive things into one job.
    Depends on your sector. Engineering (which I am) is reasonable (with good bonuses), but is anything from top-end.

Officers are very much on the frontline, in all different kinds of roles.

ReputationRep:
    Cos it's an interesting life. When I was younger I went through a phase when I was hellbent on joining the army. I'm Muslim and a girl too so my parent weren't really happy about all that. Tried to make me see sense, now I tell them I want to be a doctor to get them off my case. They think I'm completely over that whole Army stage now but I've not told them(not intending to either) that I will end up joining TA one day anyway.

Most people think Muslims are against the British Army but thats only a minority. I personally know that my parents would allow me if life was different. Not many people would accept a Muslim joining up and it would be hard fitting in when most people consider you the enemy and also when fellow Muslims might consider you a traitor.

I feel for every soldier who dies in Afganistan. This past week has been so bad for our troops.They deserve some respect for what they're doing out there.

Tis my longest post ever lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consilio Et Animis)
    Cos it's an interesting life. When I was younger I went through a phase when I was hellbent on joining the army. I'm Muslim and a girl too so my parent weren't really happy about all that. Tried to make me see sense, now I tell them I want to be a doctor to get them off my case. They think I'm completely over that whole Army stage now but I've not told them(not intending to either) that I will end up joining TA one day anyway.

Most people think Muslims are against the British Army but thats only a minority. I personally know that my parents would allow me if life was different. Not many people would accept a Muslim joining up and it would be hard fitting in when most people consider you the enemy and also when fellow Muslims might consider you a traitor.

I feel for every soldier who dies in Afganistan. This past week has been so bad for our troops.They deserve some respect for what they're doing out there.

Tis my longest post ever lol
    Not atall. There's more people in the forces who are accepting than there are walking in the streets. And if someone dare say anything racially against anyone I'd guarantee that most of the other whiteys would kick them in for it. Racism has no place in the forces, and it never will. Good mate of mine (Navy) is muslim, and has no issues from anyone.

ReputationRep:
    I'm joining for these reasons
    1. money
    2. security in a worryingly bleak looking future
    3. to indirectly protect the country thats raised me and,
    4. because i want a title in front of my name!

ReputationRep:
    Headshots are soooo much better in person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claphamski)
    4. because i want a title in front of my name!
    :rofl:

I can assure you, through basic training at least, it won't generally be complimentary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djmarkmclachlan)
    Not atall. There's more people in the forces who are accepting than there are walking in the streets. And if someone dare say anything racially against anyone I'd guarantee that most of the other whiteys would kick them in for it. Racism has no place in the forces, and it never will. Good mate of mine (Navy) is muslim, and has no issues from anyone.
    Yeah I understand that servicemen/women most likely wont have a problem. I mean like generally in society and with civilians. People just wouldn't understand a British Muslim would wantto join up.

Say if the UK went to war with Pakistan then society would never accept you. The Muslims/Pakistanis would think of you as an outsider and ordinary Britishers wouldn't trust you. If you get me. It's confusing. That's why i don't think too much about me joining the army nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    So what happens when we go to war with Nepal? Are the Gurkhas just gonna kick their heels whilst they decide who's side they're on?

FFS people, the British armed forces are training people (on the UK mainland) who several months ago wouldn't have thought twice about killing us. The military is a political instrument and the changing tide of politics is reflected in the way the forces operate. Racism and personal beliefs have nothing to do with it. You sign up to do your job, if you can't do it then GTFO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djmarkmclachlan)
    Hardly, the wages are crap. I would be on a lot more in civilian street in my selected profession. Generally it's a lot more to do with pride than selfishness.

:top:
    What sort of pay is it for a soldier?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.