Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    no one joins the army to try and get respect from some pasty faced anti-armed forces kid on tsr

i imagine the reason why people do join the armed forces is for camadre, physically better yourself and have a job that has a real thrill & excitement to it

anyway thats why i will be joinin the para reserves when i graduate

ReputationRep:
    the wages are good and you get free housing
    also a good pension and and they look after your health bills when you retire etc.
    in some case they give you education grants and have a wide range of jobs available as you see on the adverts for recruitment.
    also because people want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    For those claiming it's purely a career choice for the financial and excitement rewards, I can certainly think of jobs with better pay which do not involve risking your life day after day and leaving your family behind, even if you (personally) don't have the best of career prospects.
    Well, you dont spent much of the money you earn in the army if your at war, so the money is quite good seeing as were at constant war lately..

The excitement IS risking your life, obviously each to their own, but I imagine people get a massive adrenaline rush out of that.

Many of the people in the army, are young, 16-25, may not necessarily be that close to their family, or they are, but it's not the same as having a wife and kids to leave at home, of which a majority wont.

Its a lifestyle choice, not a career, people say the same thing about medicine for different reasons, and It's not hard to see why some people would really enjoy being in the force.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consilio Et Animis)
    Yeah I understand that servicemen/women most likely wont have a problem. I mean like generally in society and with civilians. People just wouldn't understand a British Muslim would wantto join up.

Say if the UK went to war with Pakistan then society would never accept you. The Muslims/Pakistanis would think of you as an outsider and ordinary Britishers wouldn't trust you. If you get me. It's confusing. That's why i don't think too much about me joining the army nowadays.
    You said:

Not many people would accept a Muslim joining up and it would be hard fitting in when most people consider you the enemy and also when fellow Muslims might consider you a traitor.
    I said:

Not atall. There's more people in the forces who are accepting than there are walking in the streets. And if someone dare say anything racially against anyone I'd guarantee that most of the other whiteys would kick them in for it. Racism has no place in the forces, and it never will. Good mate of mine (Navy) is muslim, and has no issues from anyone.
    Servicemen/women are not in a position to judge (well they are, but they daren't). The difference is the mentality of those serving: if you're willing to do your job for the British forces, then why the hell should we care if you're white brown yellow or blue? Look at what happened recently when the Ghurkas got mistreated. As I mentioned, I have a mate who is Muslim, and I'd trust him as much, or more, than some of my white christian peers. Fitting in isn't an issue, as there're plenty more servicemen/women with the same opinions as me; racism/ bullying do occur, but the majority of the forces are so against it I can promise that those individuals' lifes wouldn't be too nice after an instance arised.

Civilians, it's fair to say might not understand. That's their problem. Afterall, you're fighting for your country, not your religion. Otherwise I'd be over fighting King Billy's army, up to my knees. I'm (as are most service personel) not in the slightest bit interested in the public; after all the hate we've had, can you blame us? Being in the forces is about self-pride, what anyone else thinks of me for serving is entirely up to them, and if they think ill then I couldn't give a ****.

:top:

(Original post by Fusion)
    What sort of pay is it for a soldier?
    http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/.../L4_pay_08.pdf

I'm in engineering, aeronautical, which in civvy street you could add between ~5-20kpa, depending on what I did/ where I did it. Though that's RN, the forces payscale was revised in 2005 (if memory serves), and it's pretty standard across the three services (though there are exceptions).

ReputationRep:
    so they can shoot a gun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djmarkmclachlan)
    Servicemen/women are not in a position to judge (well they are, but they daren't). The difference is the mentality of those serving: if you're willing to do your job for the British forces, then why the hell should we care if you're white brown yellow or blue? Look at what happened recently when the Ghurkas got mistreated. As I mentioned, I have a mate who is Muslim, and I'd trust him as much, or more, than some of my white christian peers. Fitting in isn't an issue, as there're plenty more servicemen/women with the same opinions as me; racism/ bullying do occur, but the majority of the forces are so against it I can promise that those individuals' lifes wouldn't be too nice after an instance arised.

Civilians, it's fair to say might not understand. That's their problem. Afterall, you're fighting for your country, not your religion. Otherwise I'd be over fighting King Billy's army, up to my knees. I'm (as are most service personel) not in the slightest bit interested in the public; after all the hate we've had, can you blame us? Being in the forces is about self-pride, what anyone else thinks of me for serving is entirely up to them, and if they think ill then I couldn't give a ****.

Yeah I get what you mean mate. If I had any decent rep I'd have given it you lol

ReputationRep:
    fer the lulz?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    What a load of tosh.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consilio Et Animis)
    Yeah I get what you mean mate. If I had any decent rep I'd have given it you lol
    Nah, don't care much for rep, I have plenty of that on the other account. Gratitude towards what we're willing to do would suffice. Good on you for atleast wishing to help out, whether it works out or not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.