Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a very creative person, and not that great academically and I was wondering if 3 the following subjects would be accepted as A-Levels for a degree?

• Art
    • Photography
    • Film Studies
    • Graphic Design (possibly unavailable)

Note: I already have a C for Media Studies AS. I was thinking about English Lit, however I do not read that much.

For the uni course I wish to join, I need no specific A-level subjects, just ABB grades.

Please tell me what you think or if you have any advice, I am most interested and need guidance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonlight_caster)
    I am a very creative person, and not that great academically and I was wondering if 3 the following subjects would be accepted as A-Levels for a degree?

• Art
    • Photography
    • Film Studies
    • Graphic Design (possibly unavailable)

Note: I already have a C for Media Studies AS. I was thinking about English Lit, however I do not read that much.

For the uni course I wish to join, I need no specific A-level subjects, just ABB grades.

Please tell me what you think or if you have any advice, I am most interested!
    There are four, lol.

I wouldn't advise those subjects, you definitely need a bit more 'rigor' in your choices. Eng Lit, language, etc.?

Edit: I didn't know Graphic Design was an A level, I heard of Product Design which I thought was an umbrella term for it all?

ReputationRep:
    Yup you should take something more academic like English Literature -- you don't really need to read more than what is set on the course. I'd get rid of the film studies for English Lit and then either Art or Photography (and I would chose photography) for something like Law/Psychology/Sociology -- they are considered "softer" than say something like History but defintley more academic. I think with the subjects you suggested your Uni application would be very weak :o:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    OP- what do you want to do at university?

I suggest you add on English lit, or perhaps Psychology or Sociology. One academic subject will always look good on paper.

ReputationRep:
    It depends upon the subject and university you intend to study. The most competitive unis/courses usually prefer more academic A Level subjects, particularly institutions such as Cambridge and LSE who have black-listed all of your subjects. An art subject at a lower league university, however, would find your combination perfectly acceptable.

Do what you're good at what you enjoy, so long as it prepares you for what you want to achieve later

ReputationRep:
    You need atleast one academic subject, I'd suggest taking out film studies and putting in English lit.

ReputationRep:
    Having 3 creative subjects, you will definitely expect to have lots of work to do. Perhaps you could substitute one of the subjects to at least an academic subject, such as English Literature

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.