Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I find it extremely unfair that IB students get results much earlier. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LottanPottan)
    and if you're still going to complain, remember you guys have three subjects to study, and we have six subjects plus a 4000 word extended essay and a 1500 word TOK essay.
    You have more subjects to study but its the bredth of IB that makes it hard- you have to be good across lots of subjects but we study the 3/4 subjects we do to a higher level as we have more time to learn within each subject- standard level IB is equivalent to a cross between GCSE and AS level and a higher level is equivalent to a cross between AS and A level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    :ditto:

Also - I guess there's just a ******** less papers to mark, although I dunno how many more students take A-levels compared to the IB.

Maybe the IBO is just a lot more efficient and demanding with marking deadlines, though. I mean, students have to get six subjects marked, on top of a philosophy essay and an extended essay, so being able to mark that by early July compared to August is pretty impressive IMO...
    Actually they mark the EE and TOK essays before the exams. I think our TOK deadline was in December and the EE was in September (2008). I believe they were actually sent away around january? not sure, but definitely before we sat the exams so they've had plenty of time to assess them. It's the same for IAs.

However, on topic, the OP is being ridiculous! Come on, its a different qualification organized by a completely different organization. I don't know how many examiners there are for a-levels but for the IB there are about 5000 and around 78 000 students (may 08 at least, don't know about this year). How many students sit A-levels annually? I guess a lot more than for IB, but then again IB exams are sent across the world to be marked..

(Original post by RedRevolver)
    If anyone is interested, I've emailed QCA and asked them if it would be possible to send me a brief overview of that marking process for A-Levels.

If it's like GCSEs, though, my English teacher (for GCSE) told me that GCSEs have to go through several tiers. Like, the examination of papers will be done. And then a selection of marked papers from each examiner has to go to an examination examiner who will check the quality of marking. And then a selection will go to the chief examiner. Or something. Which sounds ridiculous, but when you think about it, it makes sense. I'd rather wait ages and be more confident than mistakes don't happen (not to say it's foolproof, but yeah) than to think that getting a C was absolutely not my fault (even though it probably was :P).
    It's the same for IB, though. Examiners send a sample of their marking to a senior examiner for checking.

ReputationRep:
    I think there is a million other things in the world to be annoyed and worried over than this. Its a set time and date and there will be a valid reason for it, so whats the point of getting all worked up over it? Its the summer holidays for crying out loud- just relax! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i find it extremely unfair that A level students only have to do 3 subjects. Which are much easier. Touche.

ReputationRep:
    The EB is the European Baccalaureate ... and tbh I don't think there are that many more people doing A-Levels than the IB. The IBO sets a deadline of max 2weeks that each examiner gets to mark the essays.. and they each get about 150 essays to mark so I think its really impressive that the IBO gets our results in time! But yeah this is a rather pointless thread, its not unfair, we only find out if we got in to our unis earlier, there's no priority at all when it comes to courses. Those who miss their offer slightly will find out after A-Levels come out whether they get in or not...
    and if you're still going to complain, remember you guys have three subjects to study, and we have six subjects plus a 4000 word extended essay and a 1500 word TOK essay.
    PLUS 150 hours of CAS, Math Portfolio, other subjects commentaries/portfolios, lab reports, and many many essays in the language subjects!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by satisfactionatlast)
    PLUS CAS, Math Portfolio, other subjects commentaries/portfolios, lab reports, and many many essays in the language subjects!!!!!!!!!
    :puke:

thank god IB is finally over. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    All AS level students finished by 2nd June, most that I know by 28th. Last proper A levels were like the 17th/18/19thish. That means the AS students finished a week after you and then have to wait 2 months and 20 days, and A2 students have to wait 2 months. That's still longer than you.

I mean, I don't really care that you get yours earlier, because it's international and so doesn't really come under the same umbrella, and it's definitely not "unfair", but I don't think "we finished earlier" is a valid rebuttal of the OPs post.
    I had my AS Maths D1 module exam on 17th June. How do you explain that?

OCR states (on their Key Dates PDF) that the main exam period is from: "11 May–24 June 2009"

So all of the marking wont be started until after 24th. There are a lot of papers and a lot of candidates. There's a lot of admin work, and they need enough time for every single paper to be marked, so that all the results are given out at exactly the same time.

Stop being such a douche and wait (OP). Everyone else is managing!

ReputationRep:
    Forgive me for being naive, but what is IB? I've seen it mentioned around here quite a bit but have no clue what it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heir-Head)
    Forgive me for being naive, but what is IB? I've seen it mentioned around here quite a bit but have no clue what it is.
    IB = International Baccalaureate ... its a diploma programme that International School students do during the last 2 years of high school

look on page 2 to get an explanation of what it is

ReputationRep:
    IB = International Baccalaureate ... its a diploma programme that International School students do during the last 2 years of high school

look on page 2 to get an explanation of what it is
    Ah right, thanks =)

ReputationRep:
    I know, only the first part of my post was your answer haha sorry!

First of all, EB is taken by students who go to the European schools (most of their parents work for the EU), while the IB is mostly taken by students who go to International School.
    The IB is marked out of a max grade of 45, while the EB is marked as a percentage of 100. For the IB, each subject is marked out of a grade 1-7, and then you can get up to 3 extra points for the combined grades of your TOK Essay and Extended Essay.
    75-80% of an IB:ers final science/humanities/math/arts grade is from the exam taken in May, and 20-25% is from an Internal assesment (project) while for languages the exam taken in May is worth 50% and the orals and written internal assessments are worth 50%. For EB:ers, their grading works like this:
    15% coursework from 7th year (last year of EB)
    25% exams in January
    24% Oral exams in June
    36% Written exams in June

For the IB you take 6 subjects, plus write a 4000 word Extended Essay and a 1500 word TOK (its like philosophy) essay. For the EB you take 11 subjects.

Both the EB and the IB comprise of many compulsory subjects.
    The EB comprises of the following compulsory subjects: a foreign language, a science, mathematics, philosophy, gym, history and geography (these are taught in the students' first foreign language, i.e. English, German or French).
    The IB comprises of the following compulsory subjects: at least 1 foreign language, English, at least 1 science, at least 1 humanities subject (geography, history, ITGS, B&M, Economics, Philosophy or Phsycology), and math. Optional subjects include art, theatre and music. In total you need to have 6 subjects.

For the IB we have to take at least 3 subjects at Higher Level (HL) and 3 subjects at Standard Level (SL). The higher level subjects are usually graded harder have more exams because if you study a subject at a higher level you are expected to have further knowledge of the subject than if you were at standard level. There are therefore more teaching hours for a HL subject than a SL subject.

ok a long post sorry but hope you have further understanding of what the difference between the two are now
    Thanks for that. The EB sounds so complicated, more so than the IB!

ReputationRep:
    I heard for IB there are many centres around the world that marks the papers - ie.europe, asia, africa...whereas for A-levels all our papers have to be sent to England first then marked there so I guess that's why it takes ages to mark?

nevertheless the wait is still annoying! grrr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamrock92)
    Oh boo-*******-hoo. A-level guys lave LONGER to learn and revise, so it's LONGER before the results come out.

Stop winging. You lot have every advantage - you can do retakes; you only have to do a couple of subjects; your qualification is a doss. Live with the one upshot of A-levels.
    Last time I checked A levels were still the gold standard. A levels prepare you better for university as we go into far more detail with our subjects. So i wouldn't call it a doss you ****

ReputationRep:
    Extremely unfair?? Stop whining about it and enjoy the summer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Last time I checked A levels were still the gold standard. A levels prepare you better for university as we go into far more detail with our subjects. So i wouldn't call it a doss you ****
    Actually last time I checked, the IB was ranked higher by the unis than A-Levels. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Actually last time I checked, the IB was ranked higher by the unis than A-Levels. :yep:
    then why dont they act like they value it..
    URGH.

ReputationRep:
    How would you know you don't even live here.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I love these threads..

IB ftw! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    How would you know you don't even live here.
    You can use the internet in other countries as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    To be honest if you want something to be pissed about, why not get pissed that students doing Highers and IB will have access to clearing places before A-Level students ?
    Actually we need to wait for your results.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.