Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I found out the other day that I'm pregnant.
    I've talked it over with my boyfriend, and we've both decided to keep the baby.
    I'm only 18 and it means not going to University if we are to keep it, which I'm willing to do.
    I've applied for a few jobs this morning, and and I think I'm in with a chance, they're pretty decent jobs with financial companies etc... But my question is would I be entitled to maternity leave or something if I've only been there for about 7 months (since I'm only about 1 month pregnant right now).
    I can't tell the employer I'm pregnant as obviously they won't hire me if they know I'm going to be absent for a while in 6 or 7 months...
    I guess I'm just looking for some advice.
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    You legally have to tell your employee are pregnant by week 25 of your pregnancy. For health and safety reasons you should tell them sooner so they can make any necessary adjustments for you.

Every company is different, the standard for maternity pay is 6 weeks at 90% of your wage or £123.90 if 90% is lower then 33 weeks at £123.90. You are entitled to a year off with your baby but 3 months will be unpaid.

You can claim Statutory maternity pay if this doesn't apply to you, I think you have to have worked for 26 weeks in the last 66 weeks before you are due. I think you get the forms from your local job centre, I do not have more info on this side because it doesn't apply to me.

You are entitled to a health in pregnancy grant of £190 once you reach week 25 in your pregnancy. If your total income is less that £15,795 (i cant be too exact sorry) you can claim other benefits for example a sure start grant of £500.

Everyone is entitled to child tax credits of £20 per week for the first baby. Try www.directgov.co.uk for further information hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    They'll ask if you're pregnant before they hire you. You have to be an employee to get one, ie, not a worker or self employed.
    Go see your CAB =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    They'll ask if you're pregnant before they hire you. You have to be an employee to get one, ie, not a worker or self employed.
    Go see your CAB =)
    It's illegal to ask that question at interview stage and discriminate on that basis. Also if you already have children an interviewer is not allowed to ask if your children will interfere with your job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.