Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just concerned about my hand and motor skills. Having never really done anything that requires delicate hand movments I dont know how good my hands are at using tools.

On the bright side, I am a long time guitar player, hardcore gamer and very fast typer.

Lets just assume they are poor would that severely reduce the chances of my getting through Medical school.

How can I improve them?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I remember talking to you several months ago!

How'd the whole application go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Halpert)
    How can I improve them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Halpert)
    Just concerned about my hand and motor skills. Having never really done anything that requires delicate hand movments I dont know how good my hands are at using tools.

On the bright side, I am a long time guitar player, hardcore gamer and very fast typer.

Lets just assume they are poor would that severely reduce the chances of my getting through Medical school.

How can I improve them?
    Dude, you're rock 'n rollin'.

You've jsut described exactly what they want - you'll be fine pal.

ReputationRep:
    It won't affect you at all!

ReputationRep:
    Not a problem at all, if you can use a fountain pen you can take blood and anything more advanced than that is optional. It might come up later in a surgical career, but that's for then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrDomDom)
    Just get a girlfriend.
    :rofl:

I agree with all the above comments OP.

You will be fine for now, later when you go more clincal you will have plenty of practice before you are let out in the real world dealing with real patients.

Good luck with everything...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you get stuck in dissection - use the rule - 'If I can rip it apart using "gentle" force from my hands - it wasn't probably the same layer.'

ReputationRep:
    Does playing video games for like all your life count towards an increase in manual dexterity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)
    Does playing video games for like all your life count towards an increase in manual dexterity
    After the CQC in MGS3, I'd like to think my manual dexterity is pretty damn good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    After the CQC in MGS3, I'd like to think my manual dexterity is pretty damn good.
    Ohhh MGS 2 and 4 were my personal favourites :p:

I've been playing street fighter 4 online non stop for like the last 4-5 months (since when ever it came out) surely my manual dexterity is better.

ReputationRep:
    That operation game has such a bad hidden message, isn't the winner the richest surgeon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    That operation game has such a bad hidden message, isn't the winner the richest surgeon?
    Why not try the Jewish alternative? Circumcision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    Why not try the Jewish alternative? Circumcision.
    :rofl:
    I think i'll go with the classic loop around the twisty metal wire and buzzy thing they have at funfairs xD

ReputationRep:
    It probably has a greater effect on your hand-eye co-ordination! So choose a surgical specialty with microsurgical techniques :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    It probably has a greater effect on your hand-eye co-ordination! So choose a surgical specialty with microsurgical techniques :p:
    http://www.medpagetoday.com/Surgery/GeneralSurgery/5089 :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ohh yehh Baby :p:

but i've always wanted to be an A and E Doc :confused:

ReputationRep:
    So it does increase your hand-eye co-ordination and dexterity.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh yehh Baby :p:

but i've always wanted to be an A and E Doc :confused:
    It'll probably help with your suturing skills? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    It'll probably help with your suturing skills? :dontknow:
    Ohhh yehh and i use to play Trauma centre (Surgery game) on the touch screen Nintendo Ds in the late nights :facepalm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.