The Student Room Group

Manual Dexterity- How important is it during the early stages of Medical School?

Just concerned about my hand and motor skills. Having never really done anything that requires delicate hand movments I dont know how good my hands are at using tools.

On the bright side, I am a long time guitar player, hardcore gamer and very fast typer.

Lets just assume they are poor would that severely reduce the chances of my getting through Medical school.

How can I improve them?

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I remember talking to you several months ago!

How'd the whole application go?
Mr Halpert
How can I improve them?
Mr Halpert
Just concerned about my hand and motor skills. Having never really done anything that requires delicate hand movments I dont know how good my hands are at using tools.

On the bright side, I am a long time guitar player, hardcore gamer and very fast typer.

Lets just assume they are poor would that severely reduce the chances of my getting through Medical school.

How can I improve them?

Dude, you're rock 'n rollin'.

You've jsut described exactly what they want - you'll be fine pal.
Reply 4
It won't affect you at all!
Reply 5
Not a problem at all, if you can use a fountain pen you can take blood and anything more advanced than that is optional. It might come up later in a surgical career, but that's for then.
Reply 6
DrDomDom
Just get a girlfriend.

:rofl:

I agree with all the above comments OP.

You will be fine for now, later when you go more clincal you will have plenty of practice before you are let out in the real world dealing with real patients.

Good luck with everything...:smile:
Reply 7
If you get stuck in dissection - use the rule - 'If I can rip it apart using "gentle" force from my hands - it wasn't probably the same layer.'
Does playing video games for like all your life count towards an increase in manual dexterity :smile:
FinalFlash
Does playing video games for like all your life count towards an increase in manual dexterity :smile:

After the CQC in MGS3, I'd like to think my manual dexterity is pretty damn good.
Hippysnake
After the CQC in MGS3, I'd like to think my manual dexterity is pretty damn good.

Ohhh MGS 2 and 4 were my personal favourites :p:

I've been playing street fighter 4 online non stop for like the last 4-5 months (since when ever it came out) surely my manual dexterity is better.
Reply 11
That operation game has such a bad hidden message, isn't the winner the richest surgeon?
xSkyFire
That operation game has such a bad hidden message, isn't the winner the richest surgeon?

Why not try the Jewish alternative? Circumcision.
Reply 13
Hippysnake
Why not try the Jewish alternative? Circumcision.

:rofl:
I think i'll go with the classic loop around the twisty metal wire and buzzy thing they have at funfairs xD
Reply 14
FinalFlash

It probably has a greater effect on your hand-eye co-ordination! So choose a surgical specialty with microsurgical techniques :p:
Alex D
It probably has a greater effect on your hand-eye co-ordination! So choose a surgical specialty with microsurgical techniques :p:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Surgery/GeneralSurgery/5089 :rolleyes:

Ohh yehh Baby :p:

but i've always wanted to be an A and E Doc :confused:
Reply 17

So it does increase your hand-eye co-ordination and dexterity.
Reply 18
FinalFlash
Ohh yehh Baby :p:

but i've always wanted to be an A and E Doc :confused:

It'll probably help with your suturing skills? :dontknow:
Alex D
It'll probably help with your suturing skills? :dontknow:

Ohhh yehh and i use to play Trauma centre (Surgery game) on the touch screen Nintendo Ds in the late nights :facepalm:

Latest

Trending

Trending