Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Im hoping to do Medicine in University in 2010.
    Ive heard some stuff about you not being able to even apply if you havnt done a UKCAT test.
    I can honestly say i have never even heard about a UKCAT test, none of my lecturers in college have told me about it. So i am totally confused.
    Can anyone tell me whether this is true?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It is true that most medical schools want you to sit an entrance exam, for most this is the UKCAT but for some London schools & Oxbridge this is BMAT.

It is not too late to book for this test.

www.ukcat.ac.uk

ReputationRep:
    Not sitting the UKCAT would preclude you from applying to all of the medical schools except the following:

Birmingham
    Liverpool
    Bristol
    Cambridge
    Oxford
    UCL
    Imperial College

ReputationRep:
    that's true unless you plan to apply to the BMAT unis (oxbridge, ucl, imperial) or the non-ukcat unis

you can register for the UKCAT which goes on until shortly before the ucas deadline in october but you need to register for the exam latest mid september so you still have time.

go research about it on the internet and on here. there's a big read thread for the UKCAT

good luck

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys
    Ill book it asap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James91)
    Cheers guys
    Ill book it asap
    Make sure you prepare before you walk into that room.

ReputationRep:
    UKCAT isn't a massive big deal but despite what people say about 'not being able to revise for it', for the sake of a tenner it might be worth getting one of the books about it. You WILL do better having prepared. It's hard to tell how much of a bearing your UKCAT has on your medicine application and if you blaze it then you're more likely to get in than if you do rubbish.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.
    Good luck brother.

ReputationRep:
    How do you actually prepare for it? Weren't many of those books about in my day and got me a 673

Can't understand how they'd help to be honest, except in the shape bit and that got cut from ours anyway woohoooo

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.