Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how accurate is this? :s Watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Well, without telling it your weight and the difficulty of your walk i cant see how its result can be perfect. Its probably close enough though, is the average for a person not 10,000 steps a day?

ReputationRep:
    them things arent very accurate, if your sitting down and move slightly, it says you've took a step, am i right?

ReputationRep:
    You are used to burning that many calories though, so don't think it knocks 400 off what you are eating, your body is accustomed to it, you'll have to up your walking and take off the extra for it to have an effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayyleyy)
    I'm trying to drop a few pounds and have bought a pedometer to measure how many steps I'm taking and how many miles I walk each day. I've done 18,000 steps today and it says I've burnt 400 calories, which seems a lot for just walking at normal pace :|

Would you say this was close to how many calories I've burnt or way off? Thankyouuu
    I've found the majority/all of the pedometers I've used are far to sensitive and completely useless, adding on about 10steps when I sit down or kneel down or something. So now, in my opinion you've probably done less, I couldn't say if it was alot less or it was quite accurate... but less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayyleyy)
    I'm trying to drop a few pounds and have bought a pedometer to measure how many steps I'm taking and how many miles I walk each day. I've done 18,000 steps today and it says I've burnt 400 calories, which seems a lot for just walking at normal pace :|

Would you say this was close to how many calories I've burnt or way off? Thankyouuu
    they arent very good unless they are gps (expensive)

why not just find 15 mins to go for a really hard fast paced run/cross train/swim ...that will burn fat like no tomorrow
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Dnator)
    they arent very good unless they are gps (expensive)

why not just find 15 mins to go for a really hard fast paced run/cross train/swim ...that will burn fat like no tomorrow

I might try the swimming idea... what do you class as hard paced tho?

becuase I try to run... and I can do a tread of maybe 10-15mins at a pace of say 6mph ish... but other than that I fail at running (and not just because I'm unfit!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    I might try the swimming idea... what do you class as hard paced tho?

becuase I try to run... and I can do a tread of maybe 10-15mins at a pace of say 6mph ish... but other than that I fail at running (and not just because I'm unfit!)

try this..when you are swimming (assuming this is a standard pool) do 4 lengths 100% effort (say... fast front crawl) then 2 lengths steady breast stroke..and repeat until 15 mins, the rest period means you can work at 100% when you do and i find this really effective..I do it on the cross trainer (low impact as my legs dont need any more damage after playing rugby so much) 2 mins 100% 1 min 50% for 15 mins

You can always work you way up to 30 mins if your goal is weight loss.. doing that a few times a week will really knock some weight off
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    try this..when you are swimming (assuming this is a standard pool) do 4 lengths 100% effort (say... fast front crawl) then 2 lengths steady breast stroke..and repeat until 15 mins, the rest period means you can work at 100% when you do and i find this really effective..I do it on the cross trainer (low impact as my legs dont need any more damage after playing rugby so much) 2 mins 100% 1 min 50% for 15 mins
    Sounds good, and 4 lenghts max effort would probs take me less than two mins... *sigh* the days are gone when I could do I think 20/25m in 15s!!

Thanks for that! I'll give it a try sometime! Yeh my knees are shot, I don't like the cross trainer!!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good, and 4 lenghts max effort would probs take me less than two mins... *sigh* the days are gone when I could do I think 20/25m in 15s!!

Thanks for that! I'll give it a try sometime! Yeh my knees are shot, I don't like the cross trainer!!
    No probs i used to get a good 25 m time..hmm you have intruiged me I am going to test it out when i next go swimming :P
    I also have reeaally bad shin splints - 2 times rugby a week every pace makes me wince..i might take up water rugby :P

ReputationRep:
    You burn calories just by living.. otherwise we'd all be MASSIVELY overweight.. yes, 400kcals would be about right for 18,000 steps, possibly even lower than expected - it's probably set to underestimate in case you sue when you don't lose weight or something? i'd say as a general rule, -300kcals per 10,000 steps, plus the extra calories burnt in every day.. living!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    No probs i used to get a good 25 m time..hmm you have intruiged me I am going to test it out when i next go swimming :P
    I also have reeaally bad shin splints - 2 times rugby a week every pace makes me wince..i might take up water rugby :P
    I swam competitively back in the day... never won anything tho.. lol...
    I sympathise with the shin splints! i swear they're bloody painful! Swimmings just the best. Except.. Have you tried biking? none of that excercise bike crap (I hate excercise bikes too :P) last summer i spent a week doing an hour on my bike each day.. that did some serious good to my waistline! (Which I notice now in envy as the jeans I bought last summer are far from fitting!

ReputationRep:
    I swam competitively back in the day... never won anything tho.. lol...
    I sympathise with the shin splints! i swear they're bloody painful! Swimmings just the best. Except.. Have you tried biking? none of that excercise bike crap (I hate excercise bikes too :P) last summer i spent a week doing an hour on my bike each day.. that did some serious good to my waistline! (Which I notice now in envy as the jeans I bought last summer are far from fitting!
    I did that one summer as well and after about 2 weeks I was starting to have a 6 pack..dont have one now mind :P ..I might go dig out my bike :P
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I did that one summer as well and after about 2 weeks I was starting to have a 6 pack..dont have one now mind :P ..I might go dig out my bike :P
    Awesome.. If you find it motivational at all.. I love guys with six packs

Might try that myself, theres just no where goood to cycle round here! last summer I had to cycle to my job. (well house to station, train, then station to job and abck again) ah well i'll work something out/.. i reckon cycle to to the pool and back and do that pool training... I'd be amazed if I ended up with a 6pack! LOL

ReputationRep:
    Awesome.. If you find it motivational at all.. I love guys with six packs

Might try that myself, theres just no where goood to cycle round here! last summer I had to cycle to my job. (well house to station, train, then station to job and abck again) ah well i'll work something out/.. i reckon cycle to to the pool and back and do that pool training... I'd be amazed if I ended up with a 6pack! LOL
    :P well we should report back if we end up with a six packs :P i am having a bit of 'summer of fitness' b4 uni hoping to play rugby there so hopefully :P
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    :P well we should report back if we end up with a six packs :P i am having a bit of 'summer of fitness' b4 uni hoping to play rugby there so hopefully :P
    Sounds like a plan!

ReputationRep:
    Water rugby?! Never heard of it before, but that sounds so cool!! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Yup water rugby is a really awesome sport....

Check this out: http://www.forum.studygrandmaster.co...=5854#post5854
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    hey, just thought I'd drop u a line and ask how the six pack was going? mine was going ok. but atm is failing :P

ReputationRep:
    hey, just thought I'd drop u a line and ask how the six pack was going? mine was going ok. but atm is failing :P
    erm ive stopped going to rugby so I can bulk up a bit in the gym..but ive started going for bike rides every other evening and swimming in between gym, too soon to tell atm but who knows :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.