Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has any university set a boundary so that if you reach it, it'll give you a pretty good chance of getting an interview for medicine?

ReputationRep:
    I found the TSR's thing on the UKCAT really helpful heres a link

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT

ReputationRep:
    UCL: Candidates from UK/EU applying for 2010 entry who achieve BMAT scores of 5.0, 5.0, 9.0 in Sections 1, 2, 3 respectively and meet the minimum entry requirements and admissions policies will be guaranteed an interview.

ReputationRep:
    it seems to me that most of the uni's dont put all thatuch weight on it, some of them only use it for borderline applicants

ReputationRep:
    Oxford: % of GCSEs that were A* VS BMAT score. The better you do at GCSE, the more leeway you have to mess up the BMAT and vice versa.

Cambridge:
    Really have no bloody idea, but obviously a great score wouldn't do any damage to your application.

Imperial: Rumours that they rank you are true, and trends show that they put heavier weighting on the essay section. Two years ago, all candidates were ranked based on their total score and if you had atleast 4.7 on both sections 1 and 2 and atleast a 6 on section 3, you may have just scraped an interview (although not everyone that got this got an interview). Last year, they ranked all applicants again based on their total scores and the general consensus was that in addition to having atleast 4.7 on both sections 1 and 2, you had to get atleast 7.5 on section 3 to be shortlisted for interview. They rank everyone based on their BMAT score so a good score (with an above average essay) will increase your likelihood of getting an interview.

UCL: see Hygeia's post. But bare in mind that last year, people with scores as high as 20 (but without the 5,5,9 criteria) were still rejected without interview. I personally know of 3 people in this situation.

As much as people hate to admit it, the BMAT really does make or break you.

And I know some of my points are very bold, but quite frankly, no one told me all this before I did my BMAT and I sometimes wished they had.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I can vouch for 4.7, 4.7, 7.5 being the Imperial threshold for the academic year just passed (quoted off an NMM funboy who himself quoted an admissions tutor). Though it does vary every year, if only slightly. Basically beast the BMAT and, for Imperial anyway, at interview you're essentially talking yourself out of a place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    As for the UKCAT regardless of what Clad in armour says, MOST medical schools who use it use it substantially.

Its practically their first point of call before PS.
    I'm really started to get annoyed with you making rash assumptions based on your hunch on how the Medical school are lying to us all, and all your generalisations.

It's not helpful to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Either that or they give the UKCAT as a reason for your rejection because... quite frankly, they can't be asked to give you a proper explanation.

At Imperial, some people with a borderline BMAT score got interviews whereas the rest were rejected - and those rejected got emails stating it was their BMAT score which let them down. Hardly, if it was sufficient to get others interviews.

ReputationRep:
    I know a few people who were given interviews from UCL before the BMAT scores came out.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    I know a few people who were given interviews from UCL before the BMAT scores came out.
    Straight A* and A students with amazing PS's get interviews before BMAT results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    Straight A* and A students with amazing PS's get interviews before BMAT results.
    Is that guaranteed? That's quite a lot of people.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Is that guaranteed? That's quite a lot of people.
    Its about 100-150 applicants.

As which PS are the best is judged buy the admissions tutors not us.

Its not guaranteed but it occurred last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrDomDom)
    It's really not.

My PS must have sucked :awesome:

(I know it did)
    lol, at least you got an offer from King's <3

(Original post by Originally Posted by vas876)
    Its about 100-150 applicants.

As which PS are the best is judged buy the admissions tutors not us.

Its not guaranteed but it occurred last year.
    is that what UCL said?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    is that what UCL said?
    Nope, but I got my information from an interviewer, at UCL.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, that BMAT score GUARANTEES you an interview, but you can get an interview without those BMAT scores if the rest of your application is good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.