Turn on thread page Beta

What music will be remembered from this decade watch

ReputationRep:
    Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory was my first album ever :rock:

Initially I was going to post that a lot of music this decade has been generic and entirely unoriginal - which, to an extent, it has. But when I think back, that's a bit unfair - a lot of quality material has been recorded, a lot of quality artists have surfaced (and faded just as quickly). Looking forward to 2010< (and hopefully the death of autotune :woo: )

ReputationRep:
    Christina Aguilera

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PauloG.)
    Besides those already mentioned The White Stripes and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs surely!
    WHITE STRIPES! YEAH

Tenacious D! Tribute... the greatest song in the world... haha according to they lyrics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmers1990)
    Christina Aguilera
    Where has she gone??

ReputationRep:
    your indie emo music taking off, a few people still in pop, pop is really a 90's thing

Daft Punk maybe, shame they no longer tour

hip hop making it to the masses

and most forms of dance music becoming very mainstream

ReputationRep:
    3 Songs will definitely stick around and I don't know why no one has suggested them yet.

Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
    Black and Gold - Sam Sparro
    Music Sounds Better with You - Stardust

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicalxoverdose)
    WHITE STRIPES! YEAH

Tenacious D! Tribute... the greatest song in the world... haha according to they lyrics.
    I see one of your favourite bands are the Smashing Pumpkins! Good to know I'm not alone here :yes:

Let me add Gorillaz...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    <CR and FOB? Not in the UK. Music for 14 year olds doesnt stick.

The other bands all spot on. Daft Punk will be for Discovery and Human After All. As well as Britney Spears, Beyonce, Kanye West and Rihanna.
    Well I'm going by the fact that those 14 year olds will be the ones in control of the media in but a short few decades. Nostalgia can be a powerful thing.

ReputationRep:
    Mainstream manufactured bands trying to copy gangsta rap...

Da blazin' squod.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel Brusnahan)

The only good albums were from the bands that had been around before such as The Strokes.
    Whose 1st release came in 2001.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seanisonfire)
    Well I'm going by the fact that those 14 year olds will be the ones in control of the media in but a short few decades. Nostalgia can be a powerful thing.
    Theyre more likely to remember the bands they saw live from the ages of 17-22. Interesting point has come up though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramzwj)
    3 Songs will definitely stick around and I don't know why no one has suggested them yet.

Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
    Whats the middle one?

I mentioned Daft Punk. One more time and Harder Better Faster Stronger. BAM
    Complete pioneers in House Music.

ReputationRep:
    In a perfect world, Animal Collective. But there's no chance of that happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    your indie emo music taking off, a few people still in pop, pop is really a 90's thing

Daft Punk maybe, shame they no longer tour

hip hop making it to the masses

and most forms of dance music becoming very mainstream
    Yeah that's likely thinking about it. :yes:

What i wonder is, people say the 90s and 00s will be remembered as crap, but is it that we remember too much crap and just forget the good stuff? I mean, there is so much good music out there, albeit too much generic rubbish, but loads of great music with many genres combining. I mean the 90s and 00s music hasn't stood the test of time yet really, i guess only time will test a lot of artists and bands. I don't know what the majority of people thought of 70s, 80s when they were brought up then.

I was talking to my music teacher earlier who was brought up in the 70s and said it was his least favourite period surprisingly - as i see late 60s and 70s as the best in terms of quality, and he listed a couple of artists who i hadn't heard of for grounds. But ultimately this music is what you will remember later in life and bring back the memories so it's not all that bad :p:

I am intrigued at what the next decade will bring. I'm also gunning for the death of autotune - because i have rarely ever heard it done with talent - it just is something that doesn't work i think!

I'm pretty sure Gorrilaz will be remembered just like Blur are. I mean what they did was pretty different and Clint Eastwood is awesomeness. Another band could be the Phonics? But they were 90s too... Feeder deserve recognition as do SFA but SFA i think of as more 90s i dunno?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramzwj)

Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
    i agree to crazy, didn't that song make it to number 1 on downloads alone, which was a first

ReputationRep:
    From Hip Hop i would say, The Roots, Dead Prez, Common, K'naan, Lupe Fiasco and i also liked Dizzee Rascal's first album.

Then you have The Libertines, Muse, The Strokes, Sigur Ros and The Rifles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Whose 1st release came in 2001.
    Gimme a break, I was nine at the time. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Lady Gaga. Just because she was different ?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    Yeah that's likely thinking about it. :yes:

What i wonder is, people say the 90s and 00s will be remembered as crap, but is it that we remember too much crap and just forget the good stuff? I mean, there is so much good music out there, albeit too much generic rubbish, but loads of great music with many genres combining. I mean the 90s and 00s music hasn't stood the test of time yet really, i guess only time will test a lot of artists and bands. I don't know what the majority of people thought of 70s, 80s when they were brought up then.

I was talking to my music teacher earlier who was brought up in the 70s and said it was his least favourite period surprisingly - as i see late 60s and 70s as the best in terms of quality, and he listed a couple of artists who i hadn't heard of for grounds. But ultimately this music is what you will remember later in life and bring back the memories so it's not all that bad :p:

I am intrigued at what the next decade will bring. I'm also gunning for the death of autotune - because i have rarely ever heard it done with talent - it just is something that doesn't work i think!
    given in 20-30 years time we will all be still talking about the music we have grown up with, and bands that are good, and music that is good will stand the test of time, your generic rubbish has always been about in the 60's 70' 80's, just as time goes on that gets forgotten about, its had to say now who will stand the test of time

music is personal we will al enjoy different bands when looking back, as it will reminder to us of a happy or sad time
    who knows in 20 years time where we have who's the best band of yesterday, get pink flody and that all popping up,
    we may have people like 50 cent

the next decade for the first few years, it be a bit of the same, but then we may get a back to the old school sound, and a old sound, not know out side of a area becoming big, much like dubstep now

autotune no more please no more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PauloG.)
    I see one of your favourite bands are the Smashing Pumpkins! Good to know I'm not alone here :yes:

Let me add Gorillaz...
    What did you think of the album SP brought out this decade on their comeback? I liked a few songs on there but I think it was generally a forgettable album, kinda disappointed.

I have so many favourite old SP songs, but my absolute favourite is Ava Adore I think.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.