Turn on thread page Beta

What music will be remembered from this decade watch

ReputationRep:
    Killers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramzwj)
    3 Songs will definitely stick around and I don't know why no one has suggested them yet.

Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
    Black and Gold - Sam Sparro
    Music Sounds Better with You - Stardust
    Stardust has 1/2 of Daft Punk in it.

But yeah, I hadn't realised Discovery was 2001 - one of the / if not THE best house album ever. In fact, just one of the best period.

A lot of people here are mentioning bands who were very active in the 80's and 90's so I don't think they count. The late 90's saw the death of good music imo - the 00's have just acted to strengthen that. I honestly think there are maybe only a dozen or so mainstream bands that will any degree of lengevity from this decade. I truly despair at what kids these days listen to (and also most my peers :facepalm:)

Outside of the mainstream, there were tons of amazing bands - however they will only be remembered by people who were fans of that genre, not the greater public.

Also many of the bands people are mentioning did not reach much international acclaim, mostly just in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Pendulum !!!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say The Libertines would.

ReputationRep:
    none this has to be one of the worst decades the killers ??? **** no, kaiser chiefs ?? i think ******* not.

Is This It by The Strokes was the first album i've ever bought when I was 9 :P, then I spent the rest of my years trying to be like Julian Casablancas :P.

ReputationRep:
    the mars volta are a band to look out for to come, i can see music taking up their sounds in years to come

ReputationRep:
    I think that "emo" (as a whole trend, not restricted to the music) will be remembered, though not necessarilly for providing any specific masterpieces of rock, but more in the way that mullets and shoulderpads will be remembered from the 80s... or maybe that is just my wishful thinking :rolleyes:

I think people are right in mentioning The Strokes and The Libertines, I see them as being remembered as the great bands that came before the horrible "indie"/"alt"-trend explosion.

Stand out RnB/pop tracks like Umbrella and Bleeding Love will remain I think, and I'm sure that Kanye West, Jay Z and other rappers of such stature will also be remembered.

"Big" band wise I think Muse, Foo Fighters, Killers and Kings of Leon (maybe?) may be remembered but other than that I'm not sure what this decade has really had to offer.. I'm not sure I'm the best person to answer such a question though, since I'm mainly immersed in the past music wise anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O Maestro)
    From Hip Hop i would say, The Roots, Dead Prez, Common, K'naan, Lupe Fiasco and i also liked Dizzee Rascal's first album.

Then you have The Libertines, Muse, The Strokes, Sigur Ros and The Rifles.
    The Rifles? But yes Lupe will deffo be remembered. A remarkable lyricist combined with great beats make him one of the best solo artists of this decade from what we've seen of him.

(Original post by robinson999)
    i agree to crazy, didn't that song make it to number 1 on downloads alone, which was a first
    Gnarlz will be remembered as a one hit wonder for sure, that was huge but is other stuff never done too good in the charts!

given in 20-30 years time we will all be still talking about the music we have grown up with, and bands that are good, and music that is good will stand the test of time, your generic rubbish has always been about in the 60's 70' 80's, just as time goes on that gets forgotten about, its had to say now who will stand the test of time

music is personal we will al enjoy different bands when looking back, as it will reminder to us of a happy or sad time
    who knows in 20 years time where we have who's the best band of yesterday, get pink flody and that all popping up,
    we may have people like 50 cent

the next decade for the first few years, it be a bit of the same, but then we may get a back to the old school sound, and a old sound, not know out side of a area becoming big, much like dubstep now

autotune no more please no more
    Yeah it's what too many of us don't realise, forget when looking at 60s, 70s, 80s etc., - mind you 80s was king for generic i think looking at some songs which were big around then and the cheese! - i mean there's going to be generic stuff around all the time but having a band like The Beatles mainstream must have been ace. I mean none of the bands of Libertines, Muse, Killers, Strokes, Coldplay, Radiohead that will most likely be remembered are on the same wavelength as the likes of them and Pink Floyd and so many other bands, but maybe time may change our opinions...? There's been many stuff similar to Floyd though, Air's Moon Safari is highly influenced from that and is a modern take on Floyd i think a lot of it is. Superb.

ReputationRep:
    the mars volta are a band to look out for to come, i can see music taking up their sounds in years to come
    True true, I believe they will become the Can or Yes of my generation even though I prefer Omar's and Cedric's previous band, At the Drive-In.

Oh and musicalxoverdose, PM sent :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    Is This It by The Strokes was the first album i've ever bought when I was 9 :P, then I spent the rest of my years trying to be like Julian Casablancas :P.
    I wish that was my first album. Mine was Miss Dynamite :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)

Yeah it's what too many of us don't realise, forget when looking at 60s, 70s, 80s etc., - mind you 80s was king for generic i think looking at some songs which were big around then and the cheese! - i mean there's going to be generic stuff around all the time but having a band like The Beatles mainstream must have been ace. I mean none of the bands of Libertines, Muse, Killers, Strokes, Coldplay, Radiohead that will most likely be remembered are on the same wavelength as the likes of them and Pink Floyd and so many other bands, but maybe time may change our opinions...? There's been many stuff similar to Floyd though, Air's Moon Safari is highly influenced from that and is a modern take on Floyd i think a lot of it is. Superb.
    i would of said Radiohead, but they have been about since 1985, so didn't know if that classed, but they are still good :p:
    80's 90's was just cheese pop and brit pop

The Beatles where just something else

Muse will be talked about, if their next album is a massive hit as well that will set a pace

the mars volta are a band to look out for, and their sound

ReputationRep:
    Well the ones I really like which i consider will be remebered are:

Muse and Coldplay (probably end up like the Who, touring forever cos theyre that good)
    The Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Sigur Ros, Snow Patrol, (Keane?)

The ones I can listen to:

Gnarls Barkley, Gorillaz, some Rnb or hip hop which i cant be bothered to list etc.

And unfortunately:

Emo (My chemical romance, just why?) and some rap which just becomes offensive when the overriding theme is women and guns.

ReputationRep:
    The big Indie and Alternative rock band will be remembered.

Coldplay, Killers, Libertines, Muse, Arctic Monkeys.

Eminem, Kanye West and 50 Cent will definitely be remembered.

The Prodigy have continued superbly from the early 90s so must be remembered.

Dance music like DJ Tiesto will be significant as well as a little rebirth of drum and bass raving, with Pendulum etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PauloG.)
    True true, I believe they will become the Can or Yes of my generation even though I prefer Omar's and Cedric's previous band, At the Drive-In.

Oh and musicalxoverdose, PM sent :rolleyes:
    they where good, still are only got into them cos thats all me mate whould play at uni, them and RHCP's, and the music grow on me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james_dow)
    none this has to be one of the worst decades the killers ??? **** no, kaiser chiefs ?? i think ******* not.
    I was waiting for someone to knock The Killers. I listen to mainly older music but still find Killers one of my favourite bands and a rare piece of class from this decade. Kaiser Chiefs, yes, rubbish generally, they won't be remembered, because their music hasn't progressed form album to album at all and they've stuck with the same old indie band... Killers anyway, Mr Brightside is still huge 5 years on, probably the biggest Student song? Definitely one of the biggest tracks of the decade, i would be hard pressed to find a more popular one personally.

Anyway Hot Fuss, Sam's Town and their B Sides in Sawdust are all brilliant albums and some of the best of the decade, Day & Age was a minor blip but if all their tracks took the take of A Dustland Fairytale and Tidal Wave that album would have been simply magnificent as those tracks are amongst or even higher than The Killers have got too. Killers ultimately are unique, i find no other band that sounds like them, many people don't listen to them much and place them in the same old indie crap but they're not. I'm confident they will stand the test of time and hope the next decade is kind to them too because if they can bring out their moments of class in certain tracks and place that around in each album then it would be amazing.

In other news i'm not getting these Snow Patrol votes. One hit wonder in Run, generic apart from that.

i would of said Radiohead, but they have been about since 1985, so didn't know if that classed, but they are still good :p:
    80's 90's was just cheese pop and brit pop

The Beatles where just something else

Muse will be talked about, if their next album is a massive hit as well that will set a pace

the mars volta are a band to look out for, and their sound
    Yes Muse's next album is crucial for their long term success.

Mars Volta intrigue me, haven't listened to much of them, but their sound is very much something else! Must listen to more of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicalxoverdose)
    Where has she gone??
    To the moon.
    Well my friend stalks her, so I'm forced to listen to her all time.

ReputationRep:
    they where good, still are only got into them cos thats all me mate whould play at uni, them and RHCP's, and the music grow on me
    John Frusciante and Flea from the RHCP's play on the studio records of the Mars Volta, did you knew that?

You migh want to give a listen to Sparta, another band which formed after At the drive-in disbanded.

ReputationRep:
    It has to be the people who have a few number ones:

Rihanna
    Kings of Leon
    Robbie Williams
    Take That
    Lady Gaga
    Beyonce
    Kanye West

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PauloG.)
    John Frusciante and Flea from the RHCP's play on the studio records of the Mars Volta, did you knew that?

You migh want to give a listen to Sparta, another band which formed after At the drive-in disbanded.
    to be fair i never really went listening out side of that area on RHCP, so i never knew, cool i will give them a listen

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.