Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What music will be remembered from this decade Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with most the names mentioned at all. Think about the sort of bands/ songs that are widely known from the 60s/70s/80s. Do you really think that in 2040 many people are going to be bopping around to Rhianna, 50 cent or the Killers? Sure they're plenty popular now, but I can't help but feel it's going to fizzle out into "the embarrasing crap music my mum/ dad/ aunt used to listen to"

ReputationRep:
    i love music and its fair to say i've grown up in the ******** decade possible. Killers? Coldplay? i mean what the **** has music come to?

Probably gna b arctic monkeys who are remembered the most tho and EMINEM

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it will be remebered for individual bands necessarily (we have to wait for history to decide that), but rather by events within the music industry.

Post-punk revival (Franz Ferdinand, Interpol, Killers, Editors, etc)
    Synthpop Revival (M83, The Knife, Crystal Castles, MGMT, etc)

The increased ability of artists to reach new audiences through the internet as well as the rise of online radio (Last.fm, Pandora), and falling startup costs for musicians due to the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    This decade will be remembered for producing sub-standard regurgitations of previous decades' masterpieces.
    THAT is very true.

I think this decade will be remembered as the time where Disney really did take over - High School Musical, Hannah Montana, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelephant)
    I don't agree with most the names mentioned at all. Think about the sort of bands/ songs that are widely known from the 60s/70s/80s. Do you really think that in 2040 many people are going to be bopping around to Rhianna, 50 cent or the Killers? Sure they're plenty popular now, but I can't help but feel it's going to fizzle out into "the embarrasing crap music my mum/ dad/ aunt used to listen to"
    Why do so many people see fit to put Killers alongside crap like fiddy and Rihanna, i don't geddit. It is something that anoys me when talent is thrown aside and opinions that they are as talented as 2 of the worst in the music industry!! Of course Rihanna and 50 Cent won't be listened to in the future though, there's no substance in the music, it's popular music now as it goes with the trends but does nothing special at all. It's mainstream music for you, and it's stuff like that that will fizzle out to nothing in about 10 or so years time.

Ultimately you might be remembered for this decade, but unless you're talented your music won't live on in the future because ultimately talent is the difference between long and short lasting music. So Rihanna, 50 Cent and many Pop icons will fizzle out to nothingness when trends move on and they cannot keep up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    Why do so many people see fit to put Killers alongside crap like fiddy and Rihanna, i don't geddit. It is something that anoys me when talent is thrown aside and opinions that they are as talented as 2 of the worst in the music industry!! Of course Rihanna and 50 Cent won't be listened to in the future though, there's no substance in the music, it's popular music now as it goes with the trends but does nothing special at all. It's mainstream music for you, and it's stuff like that that will fizzle out to nothing in about 10 or so years time.

Ultimately you might be remembered for this decade, but unless you're talented your music won't live on in the future because ultimately talent is the difference between long and short lasting music. So Rihanna, 50 Cent and many Pop icons will fizzle out to nothingness when trends move on and they cannot keep up.
    The big acid test is whether well be able to go to one of their shows in 10-20 years time, like with the Who or Elton John or Tom jones etc
    Ive got no doubt that ill be able to rock up to see Muse/Coldplay/Killers, but Rihanna?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banburyhammer)
    The big acid test is whether well be able to go to one of their shows in 10-20 years time, like with the Who or Elton John or Tom jones etc
    Ive got no doubt that ill be able to rock up to see Muse/Coldplay/Killers, but Rihanna?
    Rihanna has little talent, she only sings, none of her lyrics she sings she writes. So she will fade out to nothing soon i'm pretty sure like all like that. All good bands/artists have to be good songwriters - unless you're part of the dance movement which means you get away with it! :p:

Time is an interesting thing and if i could go in time by 20 years for 1 day what an interesting day that would be! To see what music has progressed to would be so very interesting and of course back onto this topic on who is remembered from this decade!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    Why do so many people see fit to put Killers alongside crap like fiddy and Rihanna, i don't geddit.
    Because the Killers fall into the same crowd- pleasing, easy to sell music the masses fall for. Seriously, ever since "Somebody told me" and "Mr Brightside" christ knows how long ago, they've either disappeared or I've had a bout of memory loss. If people hadn't already mentioned them on this thread I'd never have thought about them at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cowboy Dan)
    In a perfect world, Animal Collective. But there's no chance of that happening.
    I came here just to write that too :yes:

They'll be remembered lovingly, just perhaps not in the same way or by the same people as bands like Coldplay and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Dance music was at it's best in the early 00's in my opinion now it's full of ****** akon and then some indie bands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slightly)
    I came here just to write that too :yes:

They'll be remembered lovingly, just perhaps not in the same way or by the same people as bands like Coldplay and stuff.
    Yeah, they've got a very dedicated cult sort of following, so I guess they will be remembered by some.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by imomo16)
    Crazy Frog :sigh:
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Surely:

ReputationRep:
    Kings of leon maybe and the Mars Volta, which is a great great band as well, but, apart from that, the 00s have been extremely weak musically , the stripes can be another one..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PGtips92)
    Surely:
    Good call.
    When Rolling Stone did their top 1000 songs I think there was only 3 songs from the 2000s. One was Hey Ya and the other two were by Eminem. It was in 2005 though.

Hopefully there'll be more to remember musically from this decade than manufactured pop.

ReputationRep:
    Complicated - Avril Lavigne

Fact.

ReputationRep:
    Girls Aloud!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Green Day
    Muse
    Slipknot
    Rammstein
    System of a Down
    Children of Bodom

etc.

Basically any band that really made it big, all those bands have become (or carried on) being huge throughout this decade, some becoming only more recently "known".

ReputationRep:
    Green Day, Nickelback, Muse, Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon, Eminem

Im hoping that this mainstream clone crap wont be remembered like Metro Station, Lady Gaga, Rihanna et al.... i HATE it..... i REALLY REALLY hate it!! (I dont like Hip hop and rap either.... but i like Eminem)

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think bands like Coldplay and The Killers will be remembered. Also the terrible last 5-6 years of R&B dominance *shudders* among popular mainstream music. I hope the trend is over soon, it can't come soon enough. (Sounds miserable I know.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.