Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is probably going to sound really dumb and sorry if its been asked before, but how exactly do you exfoliate?

Thanks Xxx

ReputationRep:
    Here

ReputationRep:
    Get some exfoliator.. I use Simple Exfoliator.. And a flannel or some exfoliating gloves (Mine are purple £2 Boots) ..

Then in the bath put some exfoliator on the flannel or glove and rub it on your skin in circular motions.

It worked a treat for getting fake tan off

ReputationRep:
    Well you can get an exfoliator which you just rub into your skin when you have a shower or whatever, then rinse it off (much like shower gel)
    http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=10551
    Or you can get an exfoliating glove/mitten which you scrub your skin with in the shower, either whilst using shower gel or an exfoliator.
    http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=11051

ReputationRep:
    There are two types of exfoliating - physical and chemical. A physical exfoliant uses an abrasive material to remove dead skin cells. This includes exfoliating gloves (which are made from a scratchy material - I really recommend The Body Shop ones as they're very good). It also includes creams, gels or lotions containing granular material, which again are abrasive and remove dead skin (such as St Ives Apricot Facial Scrub, or Boots Sugar Scrub for the body, as examples).

Chemical exfoliants contain an acid which removes the dead skin cells. Personally I find these to be more effective for the face, but to each their own. A common ingredient for this type of exfoliant is glycolic acid (which you will see in many face creams, body lotions, foot creams, etc - it may also be labelled as Alpha Hydroxy Acid). This is the same acid that may be used in chemical peels, only at a much lower concentration. This type of exfoliant can also help with fading pigmentation and acne control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_violet)
    There are two types of exfoliating - physical and chemical. A physical exfoliant uses an abrasive material to remove dead skin cells. This includes exfoliating gloves (which are made from a scratchy material - I really recommend The Body Shop ones as they're very good). It also includes creams, gels or lotions containing granular material, which again are abrasive and remove dead skin (such as St Ives Apricot Facial Scrub, or Boots Sugar Scrub for the body, as examples).

Chemical exfoliants contain an acid which removes the dead skin cells. Personally I find these to be more effective for the face, but to each their own. A common ingredient for this type of exfoliant is glycolic acid (which you will see in many face creams, body lotions, foot creams, etc - it may also be labelled as Alpha Hydroxy Acid). This is the same acid that may be used in chemical peels, only at a much lower concentration. This type of exfoliant can also help with fading pigmentation and acne control.
    Whilst very educational, it didn't actually answer the OP's question... 'how to exfoliate' rather than 'what is an exfoliant' lol.

To exfoliate, you either use an exfoliating glove/mit with shower gel, or a body/face scrub, and rub, in circular motions over the skin whilst in the shower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Whilst very educational, it didn't actually answer the OP's question... 'how to exfoliate' rather than 'what is an exfoliant' lol.

To exfoliate, you either use an exfoliating glove/mit with shower gel, or a body/face scrub, and rub, in circular motions over the skin whilst in the shower.
    Given that her question wasn't particularly specific, and that all the previous answers had only addressed the use of physical exfoliants, I merely wanted to highlight that there are a number of options when it comes to exfoliating. Rubbing over the skin in the shower doesn't apply to chemical exfoliants. I also thought the previous posters had addressed the use of physical exfoliants well enough already.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer to use an exfoliating glove before I go in the shower on dry skin using circular motions. I use it on dry skin because it works better but don't rub too hard or it hurts when you get in the shower

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.