Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not wanting a relationship, are girls OK with this? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In my eyes, when a girl says they are "not ready" for a relationship, it is a cliche way of saying they are not interested in the person.

My situation is that I like girls (before some people question sexuality) and love getting with them for a night at a club or whatever, but am simply not interested at all in a relationship boyfriend/girlfriend thing. I think you could say it is because I am not confident in my 'relationsip ability', but I see it as more of me not wanting a commitment, can't be bothered, content with being single etc

Do girls find this strange? Would it bother you if you were getting with someone, perhaps a "mates-mate", and it seemed like they were interested in you one night, yet the next day they simply didnt care and wanted only to remain friends at best? Would you hold anything against them?

The only person who I have asked in my life is my sister, who just laughed and said I was too "casual" and "relaxed" about girls when I talked to her about girls I met, like often I cba to ask for phone numbers when most other people would (after spending a significent length of time with someone else all my friends seem to ask for names and numbers).

Curious as to whether girls would see me as being a **** or jerk or something negative

Would prefer serious answers :p:

*edit*- I'm 16 by the way, had a couple of girlfriends before, when I was younger, didn't last too long. Maybe I'm just subconsciously waiting for the right girl?

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly the same. So I'm also interested in some serious answers please.

ReputationRep:
    I don't find it strange, unless the person doesn't tell me what they want beforehand. Might not do wonders for your reputation, but as long as you said before that you didn't want a relationship, commitment etc, then I wouldn't be too bothered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MayhemAM)
    Would it bother you if you were getting with someone, perhaps a "mates-mate", and it seemed like they were interested in you one night, yet the next day they simply didnt care and wanted only to remain friends at best? Would you hold anything against them?
    If you tried to "string me along" like that, then yes, I'd be mighty hacked off, and I can imagine many people feeling the same. If you explicitly said it didn't mean anything at least they know where they stand and can decide whether they feel like a one night stand or just leaving it alone.

ReputationRep:
    No, if you were honest, I wouldn't have a problem with that at all! Actually, I would prefer that..

You feel that way now, but one day when you meet the special one, and you're aching just by the thought that she might ever be with someone else than you, - that's a girlfriend for ya. Until you feel that way, have fun & be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramanda)

You feel that way now, but one day when you meet the special one, .
    that's what I think maybe

and I take the points about telling people beforehand, but, honestly, if you tell someone beforehand, doesn't that seem cocky and arrogant, like "I know I'm going to get with you" kind of thing? Especially if there is not much conversation going on to subtly slip it into, like if you were at a club

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have no problems with that whatsoever. As long as you don't string the girl along, and make it clear that you don't want commitment.

Everyone wants a bit of no-strings-attached fun haha. Well, not everyone...

ReputationRep:
    You're sixteen.
    As to the question, just make it obvious to the girl before anything gets too OTT, it's easier to reject them then than later.
    Also, read 'He's Just Not That Into You' for tips of things to say to a girl

ReputationRep:
    As above, if you gave it all the talk about wanting to be with them and what not then I think a girl would have a right to be annoyed and think you were a **** for lying to/misleading them.

On the other hand, if a girls hooks up with a random guy one night and subsequently expects a relationship from it, they would have had it coming really.

As long as youre honest if they ask, or dont try to give the impression that you are wanting something more then there shouldnt be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I wish more guys were lsike you. I'm exactly the same and find guys are the ones who want commitemnt. Just be aware though, if you see the same person a few times (I'm thinking drunk pulling quite often) they start to think something will happen, or want it to. And like, "unofficallly seeing" people can get messsy, and annoying, if they want more. I wouldn't hold it against you though. People don't, they just get to know that;s what you're like Just make sure you make it claer, and refrain from hurting people. It's awesome to be young free and single, and having fun, but not hurtying people, especially friends.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you're honest about not wanting a relationship from the start, i don't see how it would be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    why u r not bothered? is it because u were hurt by someone u went out with before?

I think it's alright unless you were leading them along into thinking you were looking for a relationship and dropped them at the last minute Otherwise - have fun!

ReputationRep:
    You'll change your mind when you find someone who undoes you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cxjcjj)
    why u r not bothered? is it because u were hurt by someone u went out with before?
    Honestly... no idea.

Waiting for the right person?
    Content with life?
    Happy getting with any random fit girls?
    or maybe,
    subconsciously insecure?
    afraid?

I think it is one of the top 3, as I'm happy with life, but I truly don't know. Have never really been hurt by past relationships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edenr)
    You'll change your mind when you find someone who undoes you.
    Not sure what that means.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too bothered by it, probs because I'm not too good at the whole relationship thing

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what that means.
    You'll change your mind when you fall for someone.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like a great guy. :rolleyes:
    Watch out you don't catch anything.

ReputationRep:
    In my eyes, when a girl says they are "not ready" for a relationship, it is a cliche way of saying they are not interested in the person.
    Or maybe they really just aren't ready for a relationship?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.