Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sooo, been on a weeee bit of a bender sinsce Thursday. And I wear contacts, lthe monthly disposable ones. Supposed to take them out at night. Took them out Thursdya night and put them back n Friday morning but since then I've had the same set in. Just getting a few horus sleep in them. In the morningn I would kinda sllide them to the side of my eye a bit to amke sure they weren't like sticking. I do that usually at parteis or whatever, but only for one night. TOok them out now and got a new set in (theyw ere kinda overdue for changing). Eyes feel fine. It all be okay? I was like, "ahhh, I've shad the same pair of contacts in for four days, I think my eyes iwll fall out!" ont he bus and found it hilariousss. Tbh I don't care if they do caus eit was wellll worth it. Hahaha. But yeah, should I worry? I dont' think there is anything to worry about anwyay THANKS!

ReputationRep:
    Edited for personal information.

ReputationRep:
    the day after your bender, take them out and wear your glasses for a couple of days - just to give your eyes a break. i wouldn't do this thing regularly...but you should be fine, and if they start feeling uncomfortable take them out asap.

ReputationRep:
    Wearing contacts for extended periods of time caused me some damage without my noticing, but yeah, it'll depend on the contact lenses, and on you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MySweetheartTheDrunk)
    Sooo, been on a weeee bit of a bender sinsce Thursday. And I wear contacts, lthe monthly disposable ones. Supposed to take them out at night. Took them out Thursdya night and put them back n Friday morning but since then I've had the same set in. Just getting a few horus sleep in them. In the morningn I would kinda sllide them to the side of my eye a bit to amke sure they weren't like sticking. I do that usually at parteis or whatever, but only for one night. TOok them out now and got a new set in (theyw ere kinda overdue for changing). Eyes feel fine. It all be okay? I was like, "ahhh, I've shad the same pair of contacts in for four days, I think my eyes iwll fall out!" ont he bus and found it hilariousss. Tbh I don't care if they do caus eit was wellll worth it. Hahaha. But yeah, should I worry? I dont' think there is anything to worry about anwyay THANKS!
    Couple of nights partying or my eyesight...I wonder which I'd choose.

There's a reason you're meant to take them out at night; it can damage your eyes if you leave them in.

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy your conjunctivitis.

ReputationRep:
    As a one off, this shouldn't cause you too much bother. But, the your cornea (coloured part of eye) needs oxygen like any other part of your body. Putting a contact lens on top of your cornea restricts the oxygen flow. If you wear contact lenses too often, your eye compensates by "growing" new blood vessels in order to get oxygen to your cornea. These blood vessels can, at their worst, grow over your pupil rendering you blind. As I said, you should be fine, but don't do this very often!

ReputationRep:
    I know people who have left them in and gone to sleep and had fairly serious pain as a result - though the dailies are softer so maybe they don't give that problem. Still, I wouldn't risk it.

ReputationRep:
    It's not dailies its monthyls. Yeah they feel fine jsut now, took them out and now gonna sleep, sleeping all day tomorrow too. Hopefully be fine. IF n ot, I doubt it'll be worse than conjunctivitus, I can welll handle that I've handled worse! THAnks for help guysys!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's not dailies its monthyls. Yeah they feel fine jsut now, took them out and now gonna sleep, sleeping all day tomorrow too. Hopefully be fine. IF n ot, I doubt it'll be worse than conjunctivitus, I can welll handle that I've handled worse! THAnks for help guysys!
    I wore my singles in for a whole week, inc. sleep. You'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Ughhh I wear contact lenses and I just don't understand how you couldn't take them out and replace them every day!!

ReputationRep:
    Lol the other consideration I've always found is that I don't always have the coordination to get the buggers out when drunk :rolleyes: Surely as well as the lack of oxygen to your eyes, contacts need cleaning after a day? Imagine the bacteria ... *shudder*

Meh I forget to take them out all the time they tell you to take them out every day but to be honest I have never had a problem keeping them in but i suppose it is taking a risk even if it is quite small.

ReputationRep:
    For everyone's information, technology has advanced a bit lately.

A new generation of "super-permeable" contact lenses can transmit unprecedented amounts of oxygen to your cornea and, in some cases, enable 30 consecutive days of wear without removal.
    http://www.allaboutvision.com/contac...e-hydrogel.htm

Particularly useful for some people.

ReputationRep:
    How can you even do that? My eyes hurt after wearing them for a day, and if I accidentally fall asleep in them (only a nap of 1 hour at the most) they feel extra dry and need to be out for a while.

It is meant to be extremely bad for your eyes if you sleep in them. I guess that's because your eyes move around a lot and the lens will irritate your eye, plus the fact that the lens stops enough oxygen getting through. I would never do it, but then I'm completely paranoid about using contacts properly and not ruining my eyes.

ReputationRep:
    Something to consider: If your eyes roll around a lot during sleep, the contacts can get stuck behind/to the side of your eye. Getting those suckers out is NOT fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hithereimdave)
    Something to consider: If your eyes roll around a lot during sleep, the contacts can get stuck behind/to the side of your eye. Getting those suckers out is NOT fun.
    Ah I can imagine! Luckily that didn't happen! Anyways it all seems fine, I'll let yous know if I develop conjunctivus! I would have taken them out for a few hours if I could but I was at a festival, it was VERY non-stop, I hadn't been sober since the thursday morning and it was a case of get up, drink, and wander about! Anyways, I wasn't even in my own tent at all (smashed a shot glass in it on the first night) and it was FAR too much effort to make my way there to get lens holder/solution etc. So yeah, probably wasn't the best idea to keep them in for that long but apparently I'm too lazy! Won't be doing it again in a hurry anyway. To any about to festival it, I would recommend dailies - it should be pretty okay to take them out and just chuck them away. Although tbh I think I coped without any adverse effects!

ReputationRep:
    From the looks of it, your eyesight's been pretty badly damaged, what with you not being able to hit the right keys very often :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BibblyBobbly)
    From the looks of it, your eyesight's been pretty badly damaged, what with you not being able to hit the right keys very often :p:
    Haha you could be right! Ever tried typing drunk though? I'm ridiculously bad at it, and when I got home yesterday I just turned my laptop on to watch highlights and listen to music despite the fact I'd been drinking all morning plus on the bus home plus when I actually got home. So, the lesson is, don't go online drunk boys and girls.

ReputationRep:
    Haha you could be right! Ever tried typing drunk though? I'm ridiculously bad at it, and when I got home yesterday I just turned my laptop on to watch highlights and listen to music despite the fact I'd been drinking all morning plus on the bus home plus when I actually got home. So, the lesson is, don't go online drunk boys and girls.
    Lol, sounds like you had a weekend to remember, even though you've probably forgotten a lot of it! My computer takes too long to load up, so I normally either fall asleep somewhere or get distracted by something else, no chance to type.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.