Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pregnant? University? Crap! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I might be pregnant... I don't know for sure and my immature mind is far too scared to go get a pregnancy test. I think it might be too early to anyway. I know bloated-ness is normal in many cases. But my boobs are popping out of my bra (one of which I bought a week ago), I've got those bumps on my nipples, I'm exhausted, I'm feeling sick and I'm constantly bloated... and my auntie even asked me if I was pregnant.

I know the OBVIOUS thing to do is go get a pregnancy test. But if I go drive to ASDA now, get a test and it comes back positive... what would you do? I'm planning on going to university in September? Would you have an abortion? Defer your placement for a year? Maybe hold of education a few years?

I'm scared.

Right. Car keys in hand. I'd really like some support/advice.

Thank you.
    • Section Leader
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I realise that this must be terrifying for you. However I think that it is important to take one step at a time.

First things first go and get the test and take it. It might be worth having someone with you so that if it is positive someone can support you. If it is negative then you don't need to worry.

Once you know one way or the other you can think about what you want to do. There are options and there will be people who you can talk though your options. It is your decision at the end of the day and no one can tell you what the right thing to do is. But make sure you take time to think over what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Halophyte91)
    I might be pregnant... I don't know for sure and my immature mind is far too scared to go get a pregnancy test. I think it might be too early to anyway. I know bloated-ness is normal in many cases. But my boobs are popping out of my bra (one of which I bought a week ago), I've got those bumps on my nipples, I'm exhausted, I'm feeling sick and I'm constantly bloated... and my auntie even asked me if I was pregnant.

I know the OBVIOUS thing to do is go get a pregnancy test. But if I go drive to ASDA now, get a test and it comes back positive... what would you do? I'm planning on going to university in September? Would you have an abortion? Defer your placement for a year? Maybe hold of education a few years?

I'm scared.

Right. Car keys in hand. I'd really like some support/advice.

Thank you.
    It's ok think about it you can't go to uni with a baby so no point in deffering your placement, If you don't want a baby get an abortion, it's tough emotionally and you need some support, I hope you can build up the courage to tell one of your parents, or get someone you can trust.

ReputationRep:
    If it does turn out you're pregnant, there are better options for mothers at University than ever before. Although you'd probably want to take a year or two out before going. Having a baby does not have to mean the end of your education! In the meantime, try to see the positive side. Having a baby is a wonderful thing, if ill-timed and if understandably very scary.

ReputationRep:
    Take a test. You might not even be pregnant - if you're convincing yourself that you are, then it's likely that you're "seeing" things as being signs of pregnancy. Try not to panic until you know for certain whether you are pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    If it does turn out you're pregnant, there are better options for mothers at University than ever before. Although you'd probably want to take a year or two out before going. Having a baby does not have to mean the end of your education! In the meantime, try to see the positive side. Having a baby is a wonderful thing, if ill-timed and if understandably very scary.
    Haha nice unintentional joke :rofl:

On a more serious note, this is good advice

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thanks! I'm only a few days late so I'm going to wait a few days, calm down - not pressume the worst and just hope my period comes. If not, hey - there's worst things could happen.

And in my blaze of panic earlier - I forgot to post as anonymous. Woops.

I'll keep you all tuned in.

ReputationRep:
    I was in exactly the same situation but I was in my first year at the time.
    I was convinced I was, did about 4 tests (all negative) to believe I wasn't! I had all the same symptoms along with that general "knowing" feeling. Though I obviously didn't know anything at all. :p:
    I was worrying and pondering and considering for about 2 weeks. What would I do, how would I cope, what would I tell people, would I stay in Uni etc etc etc.
    So it's something I've thought a lot about in terms of what I'd do.
    A friend of mine got pregnant just before she went to Uni - obviously it wasn't ideal, but she kept the baby and went to Uni as she'd wanted, because she wanted to provide the best for her baby. Her daughter is now 1 year and 3 months and she's doing fantastically well at Uni. She's really inspiring.
    That made me realise that there are plenty of options if you are pregnant. If you are, you know you have two choices. Either do something about it and abort, or leave it and go ahead with the pregnancy. You know they are your choices and you have to make one sooner than later.
    In my situation, my boyfriend was really annoyed at the idea of keeping it - he thought it'd ruin our lives, our university careers etc. That made me think, as the baby would be resented on his part and not have a particularly good life if that was the case. But I also thought that I would do my best to love and care for that child as best I could, and carry on with Uni to provide as best as possible for it.
    It really is totally your decision, and depends on your individual circumstances.
    First of all, take the test. :p: then tell your partner either way.
    And keep us updated! But don't panic, because in my case it was completely unnecessary and I drained myself emotionally for absolutely no reason.

ReputationRep:
    Although I probably would not keep a pregnancy during/before uni, if you ARE pregnant and you do decide to keep it, don't let it mess up your plans for the future. My Latin teacher got married VERY young and had two babies during her degree, and still got a First from UCL, which just shows that it's possible to juggle babies and education.

ReputationRep:
    So did your period come yet?! Any more thought as to what you'll do if you are pregnant?

ReputationRep:
    I still haven't come on yet... My partner knows. We've been together 2 years and he was the one who actually asked me. Like any boy, he notices changes in my boob area.. Even his Auntie asked him whether I was pregnant.

I'm gonna wait until Friday. If I haven't come on Friday I'm off to go get a pregnancy test.. and just take it from there.

I think I'd keep it. As you've all said, there are so many options for university. Even if I don't go to a 'proper' university, there are Open University courses, part-time courses... Yes, it may take me longer to get my qualification but I'd still get it at the end. I have a strong support system and I know my parents would be supportive... I just don't want to worry them until I know if I am.

ReputationRep:
    That all sounds very sensible. Worrying about it will only make it later if you're not pregnant, and it's cool your partner knows so you'll have his support whatever the outcome.
    What course are you planning on srating in Sept? And are you planning on going to a uni near where your rents live? Would be easier for you if they're nearby if you do end up with a baby.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually planning on staying at home and travelling to uni as it is, sans pregnancy... Which is why I said, that I have a huge support system. My mum works evenings and I know she would help out whilst I was at uni. My partners parents live in the village next to ours and they would dote on him/her too.

I'm planning on going to Hull Uni to study Geography and History, then carrying on to do my PGCE.

ReputationRep:
    Hope you get the result you want.

ReputationRep:
    I've just been on the OU website, just looking at options if I was... and I'm actually really keen to apply... even if I'm not pregnant. There open degree appeals to me... and I work so much better by myself.

I don't know why I didn't think of applying before.

ReputationRep:
    why is it that girls that go to catholic school turn out so promiscuous and loose. Ah well say goodbye to a PROPER University, geography/history.. silly girl all this wasted for a few pointless minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    why is it that girls that go to catholic school turn out so promiscuous and loose. Ah well say goodbye to a PROPER University, geography/history.. silly girl all this wasted for a few pointless minutes.
    Promiscuous and loose? Don't pre-judge me. I have had one serious boyfriend. I have had one sexual partner. Before this little 'scare', we've been talking about engagements, weddings... I am the opposite of loose and promiscuous. I'm not even bloody Catholic. What ever pre-judgements you have of me. KNOCK THEM DOWN NOW. I am sensible. If I'm not on the pill... which I'm not right now because the most recent one I tried caused me to go blind with migraines 3 times a week... I am using condoms. We don't use the 'withdrawal' method. We're safe. Condoms are not 100%. Even the safest person in the world can get pregnant. It's the risk you take when you're in love and sexually active. I am anything but a silly girl.

So **** you. I have a good head on my shoulders and I can deal with this. But if you so much as think I'm wasting me whole life for a few minutes of promiscuous fun.. you can think again. A baby isn't gonna stop me living up to my potential.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna wait until Friday. If I haven't come on Friday I'm off to go get a pregnancy test.. and just take it from there.
    Why are you gonna waste your time worrying til then? :rolleyes:

If you're pregnant you're pregnant. If you're not you're not. Nothing is going to be different on Friday.

ReputationRep:
    It's totally possible that you may have acquired a slight paranoia, after your aunt asked you about it. When I once felt just as you are, and after I heard a comment similar that someone pointed out (and I'm a size eight so it made me really paranoid), it made me wonder if I was, even though it was practically impossible!

ReputationRep:
    Promiscuous and loose? Don't pre-judge me. I have had one serious boyfriend. I have had one sexual partner. Before this little 'scare', we've been talking about engagements, weddings... I am the opposite of loose and promiscuous. I'm not even bloody Catholic. What ever pre-judgements you have of me. KNOCK THEM DOWN NOW. I am sensible. If I'm not on the pill... which I'm not right now because the most recent one I tried caused me to go blind with migraines 3 times a week... I am using condoms. We don't use the 'withdrawal' method. We're safe. Condoms are not 100%. Even the safest person in the world can get pregnant. It's the risk you take when you're in love and sexually active. I am anything but a silly girl.

So **** you. I have a good head on my shoulders and I can deal with this. But if you so much as think I'm wasting me whole life for a few minutes of promiscuous fun.. you can think again. A baby isn't gonna stop me living up to my potential.
    Pure rep to you my dear.
    And all the best with your situation <3

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.