Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've decided i'm going to start going swimming regularly over the next couple of months before going to uni. I don't really need to loose any weight, I just want to increase my fitness levels and perhaps tone up a bit. However i'm not really sure how to start structuring my regime. For a start how often should I go? And how long should a session be or me to get a decent benefit from it? I'm also a bit concerned as i've never done lane swimming before; this might sound stupid but there really is nothing more to it that swimming in a line right? Any other general tips about getting the most gain from swimming? I realise the answers will vary but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your own abilities, but ill give your questions a go.

3 times a week
    40-60 minutes
    If there is more than one person in your lane you'll have to go up one side and down the other. Getting out of the pool(and crossing lanes) make sure not to get in the way of others. There might be a sort of social conduct where slow swimmers go in a certain lane and fast in another etc.

As for getting the most gain, you should try to vary your strokes as you go.

Hope this helps,

ReputationRep:
    dont just plod along for an hour, use structured sets

http://ruthkazez.com/50swimworkouts.html

ReputationRep:
    No advice for you but I just wanted to say I've just started to learn to swim had my first "go" last Thursday and managed half a length!

Not sure how I've gone so long without learning but it's kinda fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greghouse)
    No advice for you but I just wanted to say I've just started to learn to swim had my first "go" last Thursday and managed half a length!

Not sure how I've gone so long without learning but it's kinda fun!
    Congratulations, its a good skill to learn.

Can i ask what happened in the middle of the pool when you stopped? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i went swimming for the first time today after 8 years....epic fail

ReputationRep:
    Here's some advice: if you lose your goggles. Tough crap. Don't go looking for them.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cm...?articleid=755

This is a great site with tips on how to increase endurance and get the most out of your swimming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nessiehibs)
    Congratulations, its a good skill to learn.

Can i ask what happened in the middle of the pool when you stopped? :confused:
    haha ... I lost my rhythm, took a breath when I should have been holding it and started to drown

Also near the shallower end I kept hitting my feet on the ground ... :no:

ReputationRep:
    I used to swim 6 times a week when I was 10 for Hampshire. I didn't understand fitness etc. back then and I didn't really value it.
    You should treat it like weight training, structure it. Assuming that your local pool is 25 metres...

4x25 breastroke (warm up)
    4x25 front crawl
    4x25 back stroke
    4x25 breastroke (cool down)

Repeat that for a very basic, yet very effective workout. Try to keep a constant speed and incorporate tumble-turns to keep it all smooth. There should be a big clock so you can time yourself.

If you've never used the foam equipment before, you should learn how to. There is a funny hour-glass shaped thing that goes between your thighs to stop you from kicking. This allows you to focus on training your pulling technique, which is what swimming quickly is all about.

Butterfly is a VERY good stroke, particularly for fitness however I don't suggest you do it as your arms tend to cover the whole of the lane and you risk hitting people in the face and getting a bloody hand...

This is purely swimming advice here Make sure your hand 'cuts' the water like a knife when doing frontcrawl, reach out than pull the water back into your body, but I'm sure thats teaching Granny to suck eggs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Wigan)
    Here's some advice: if you lose your goggles. Tough crap. Don't go looking for them.
    Ha!! Oh god. I feel guilty for laughing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.