Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

If you were training to be a pilot in the RAF for example, i heard you have to live in the RAF base place with other people but after that training is over, can you just get your own house and make your way there every morning like a normal job?

Thanks, Mike
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Couple of things for you here mike:

Yes - you can get your own place / rent etc. Many people do - especially those whose aircraft are based in a single location, so won't be moving so much

A number of people on here will point out that it isn't a normal job and shouldn't really be viewed as such. They are right, but I think I get what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Couple of things for you here mike:

Yes - you can get your own place / rent etc. Many people do - especially those whose aircraft are based in a single location, so won't be moving so much

A number of people on here will point out that it isn't a normal job and shouldn't really be viewed as such. They are right, but I think I get what you mean.
    Yeah from what i've read i think i know what your trying to say about normal :p:

Basically do you have to live on some camp place with other people for your whole career?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Read the first part of my answer again. I told you the answer.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh right sorry :P

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    If you are married you could be provided with a family quarter (a 3 bedroom semi-type affair) on a "married patch" of some variety on or around the station.

ReputationRep:
    Its simple - DURING IOT, you live in the messes, no choice. AFTER IOT, you can buy a house near where you're posted or if you're married you can be entitled to Married Quarters, or do what i do, just live in the mess. Its cheap and so is the food and i'm saving **** loads... WIN!

ReputationRep:
    Is living in the mess similar to where you would live when your at university?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yes - sort of - except with standards far higher for dress, deportment and general behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    OK thats good

I've never really considered a career in the RAF before and the one main thing thats playing on my mind is is it like on those TV shows where they take some modern day children and put them in kinda WW2 lifestyle and living and everything has to be perfect or they do 300000 press-ups.

Are you allowed like phones, laptops etc?

ReputationRep:
    Dude, it's your room. Think of it like staying in a club where you rent a room and get breakfast and dinner where all the facilities are free to use. Generally they don't care what you do in your room as long as you ask permission for something weird first (like having dogs etc) and don't piss anyone else off.

EDIT: Just for illumination: I have my laptop, PS3, flatscreen TV with massive speakers, 3 guitars, a stereo, a fridge, a microwave, a double bed and a fishtank in my mess room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    Dude, it's your room. Think of it like staying in a club where you rent a room and get breakfast and dinner where all the facilities are free to use. Generally they don't care what you do in your room as long as you ask permission for something weird first (like having dogs etc) and don't piss anyone else off.

EDIT: Just for illumination: I have my laptop, PS3, flatscreen TV with massive speakers, 3 guitars, a stereo, a fridge, a microwave, a double bed and a fishtank in my mess room.
    That sounds cool! Do you have to be in the Air cadets or anything like that to get into the RAF?

ReputationRep:
    If you read the big sticky at the top of the Armed Forces forum there should be all the information you need for joining. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    You can't do that with your room until after training, though, just in case you're getting your wires crossed.

And no, the only requirements for entry are listed on the careers website and are qualification-based [assuming medical fitness].
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It wouldn't hurt. Nor would reading the RAF careers website - that would answer a lot of your questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike2niner4)
    Hey,

If you were training to be a pilot in the RAF for example, i heard you have to live in the RAF base place with other people but after that training is over, can you just get your own house and make your way there every morning like a normal job?

Thanks, Mike
    My dad is in the RAF, and from what he has told me over the years I gather you would live in a room in the Mess (like uni halls but you have to behave and be respectful ). This is while you are single. When you are married, you will be given a married quarter, which will be a 2-5 bedroom house (depending on rank and/or amount of children). You can buy your own house though

Hope this helps
    Harry x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HEJ92)
    My dad is in the RAF, and from what he has told me over the years I gather you would live in a room in the Mess (like uni halls but you have to behave and be respectful ). This is while you are single. When you are married, you will be given a married quarter, which will be a 2-5 bedroom house (depending on rank and/or amount of children). You can buy your own house though

Hope this helps
    Harry x
    Thanks all

I know you might just refer me to the website but i have found this information on it yet. But, how easy is it to move to commercial piloting from the RAF and is it still £70,000 to £80,000 to train?

Thanks, Mike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)

You must have a big room!. My husbands room was tiny, his bed was the standard RAF issue....you try getting 2 adults sleeping in that, lol. Although he too had a fish tank and a cabinet for his tv and video player.That was about it really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    You must have a big room!. My husbands room was tiny, his bed was the standard RAF issue....you try getting 2 adults sleeping in that, lol. Although he too had a fish tank and a cabinet for his tv and video player.That was about it really.
    I started off with one of the standard beds. But as you rightly said, it's a pain in the posterior trying to sleep two adults in it so I bought a double. I wouldn't call my room "big" per se, but it's one of the bigger ones that I've had since I've been in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike2niner4)
    Thanks all

I know you might just refer me to the website but i have found this information on it yet. But, how easy is it to move to commercial piloting from the RAF and is it still £70,000 to £80,000 to train?

Thanks, Mike

I'll refer you to a website, but it's this one. About 40,063 people have asked that question recently, so you'll be able to find it if you dig around a bit.

But I'll warn you now - you won't be popular.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.