Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    I started off with one of the standard beds. But as you rightly said, it's a pain in the posterior trying to sleep two adults in it so I bought a double. I wouldn't call my room "big" per se, but it's one of the bigger ones that I've had since I've been in!
    Do you live in the barrack block?. I know that the Corporals rooms were much bigger than the standard ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    You must have a big room!. My husbands room was tiny, his bed was the standard RAF issue....you try getting 2 adults sleeping in that, lol. Although he too had a fish tank and a cabinet for his tv and video player.That was about it really.

I'd guess it depends a lot on where you are. I've been in some messes with huge rooms and some with miniscule ones.

And, these were the crappy rooms they gave to UAS cdts, so the 'proper' ones must've been bigger.

Cott was best for size:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Do you live in the barrack block?. I know that the Corporals rooms were much bigger than the standard ones.
    Ah, I be Officer

I've never been inside a Junior Ranks Mess or SLAM but I doubt they'd be that much different to an Officers' Mess room.... I hope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I'll refer you to a website, but it's this one. About 40,063 people have asked that question recently, so you'll be able to find it if you dig around a bit.

But I'll warn you now - you won't be popular.
    Why will i be unpopular? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    Ah, I be Officer

I've never been inside a Junior Ranks Mess or SLAM but I doubt they'd be that much different to an Officers' Mess room.... I hope
    I dont know about officers mess....I never went in there. My husband was an SAC. I met my husband when he was stationed out in Germany.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike2niner4)
    Why will i be unpopular? :p:

Because there are a lot of people here who's sole ambition is to be a military pilot with the RAF/FAA and they don't take kindly to the notion that someone might join up seemingly with the intention to get some free training and then bugger off to the airlines. There are others, however, who will say that that doesn't matter, and that as long as you join the RAF/FAA for the right reasons you'll be ok.

Join the RAF if you want to fly with the RAF, what you do after is your own buisness, but if you join the RAF when you really want to be an airline pilot, you'll hate it.

ReputationRep:
    Confirmed :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Because there are a lot of people here who's sole ambition is to be a military pilot with the RAF/FAA and they don't take kindly to the notion that someone might join up seemingly with the intention to get some free training and then bugger off to the airlines. There are others, however, who will say that that doesn't matter, and that as long as you join the RAF/FAA for the right reasons you'll be ok.

Join the RAF if you want to fly with the RAF, what you do after is your own buisness, but if you join the RAF when you really want to be an airline pilot, you'll hate it.
    I have to admit i'd rather become an airline pilot atm. I mean the thought of flying some of the aircraft you COULD get to fly in the RAF is amazing and the thought of that being your everyday job is amazing too but i'm not sure i'm the military person. Does anybody know how many people make it to be a commercial pilot compared to how many people aim to be?

ReputationRep:
    There are literally thousands of people in line for hundreds of airline jobs. There are literally thousands of people waiting in line for one RAF pilot job.

ReputationRep:
    Neither job's easy or more people would do it.

Current RAF stats are something like ~1 in 10,000 make it to operational flying, I'd imagine that civil is roughly similar, maybe slightly more in your favour.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.