Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    does st andrews normally enter a team?
    how do the tryouts work etc

We always enter a team, try outs involve a long written paper.

ReputationRep:
    St. Andrews have a team in this year's competition, but not all institutions get in every year. Only the best 28 teams or so make it to the TV show. Each institution can enter as many teams as it likes but only one can make the show.

ReputationRep:
    I think there was an e-mail sent around a few months ago, telling us about tryouts.
    My general knowledge [and, in fact, most of my knowledge] is too limited for me to have entertained anything beyond skimming the email :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDub)
    St. Andrews have a team in this year's competition, but not all institutions get in every year. Only the best 28 teams or so make it to the TV show. Each institution can enter as many teams as it likes but only one can make the show.
    I thought each university could only enter one team? (apart from Oxbridge who can enter up to 5 each).

I mean if there were two StAs teams within the top 28 strongest teams, do you think both would get on to the TV? I don't - I think each university can only enter one team.

edit: on topic - Ekpyrotic has answered both your questions. There is a written paper, this year I think it was taken in March/April ish, if I remember correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    I thought each university could only enter one team? (apart from Oxbridge who can enter up to 5 each).

I mean if there were two StAs teams within the top 28 strongest teams, do you think both would get on to the TV? I don't - I think each university can only enter one team.

"There is nothing to stop an institution entering two independent teams, and some universities routinely do it, but I have to say that I wouldn't recommend it, as it might not look too organised to Granada; with hundreds of applicants they'll be looking for any excuse to bin a team. Having said that, there have been times when one of the teams has got on (obviously there's no way both would ever get on at the same time)."

Source: http://www.blanchflower.org/uc/faq_applying.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    I think there was an e-mail sent around a few months ago, telling us about tryouts.
    My general knowledge [and, in fact, most of my knowledge] is too limited for me to have entertained anything beyond skimming the email :cool:
    your sig reduced me too tears
    I hope you know that

ReputationRep:
    University Challenge is hilarious to watch! It's always full of the biggest geeks i've ever seen, you have to admit some of them are pretty weird.
    This has nothing to do with anything, but I had dinner next to Jeremy Paxman last year at an airport. He's a miserable git, but it was still amazing :ahee: . He was having a cheeseburger. He gave me evils because me and my brother were staring at him in awe. I think he noticed us videoing him on my brother's phone too. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayleyboop(:)
    University Challenge is hilarious to watch! It's always full of the biggest geeks i've ever seen, you have to admit some of them are pretty weird.
    This has nothing to do with anything, but I had dinner next to Jeremy Paxman last year at an airport. He's a miserable git, but it was still amazing . He was having a cheeseburger. He gave me evils because me and my brother were staring at him in awe. I think he noticed us videoing him on my brother's phone too.
    :nothing: You can't seriously be suggesting Gail Trimble is a....geek?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerrama)
    :nothing: You can't seriously be suggesting Gail Trimble is a....geek?!
    Oh no, no, no. She is my style icon. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    It's always full of the biggest geeks i've ever seen.
    See profile pic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    your sig reduced me too tears
    I hope you know that
    Sorry. You're making me re-think the plan to expand it and accommodate more links...

ReputationRep:
    See profile pic

:gasp: Is that actually you?
    I swear i actually watched that episode and saw you on it!
    Lol, aw sorry, didn't mean you in particular . But most of the people who go on it are, you must admit .
    Then again, congrats on getting on there in the first place, my mate auditioned for it and got really close but didn't quite make it, he's gutted. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    :gasp: Is that actually you?
    I swear i actually watched that episode and saw you on it!
    Lol, aw sorry, didn't mean you in particular . But most of the people who go on it are, you must admit .
    Then again, congrats on getting on there in the first place, my mate auditioned for it and got really close but didn't quite make it, he's gutted. :rolleyes:

Yup it is me, how did you think i looked? I understand your scepticism though, i could have just pluced the photo from anywhere. I do agree that it is a very geeky program, but i am a geek at heart so i suppose i have to embrace it. Thanks, your friend should persevere with getting on the show, it has been a really enjoyable experience so far.

ReputationRep:
    Yup it is me, how did you think i looked? I understand your scepticism though, i could have just pluced the photo from anywhere. I do agree that it is a very geeky program, but i am a geek at heart so i suppose i have to embrace it. Thanks, your friend should persevere with getting on the show, it has been a really enjoyable experience so far.
    Ya look pretty smart to me :cool:

ReputationRep:
    One of the guys I worked with this summer is going to be on it (Edinburgh- Matheson) ... quite excited about seeing someone I know on TV haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_c)
    One of the guys I worked with this summer is going to be on it (Edinburgh- Matheson) ... quite excited about seeing someone I know on TV haha!
    I have met the Edinburgh team but i can't remember which one he was.

ReputationRep:
    I have met the Edinburgh team but i can't remember which one he was.
    I'm pretty sure he said something about being one of the ones sitting in the middle, but he wasn't the captain... Andrew...

ReputationRep:
    My Astronomy tutor last year (I can't remember his name LOL) was the captain of the StAs university challenge team.
    Short black hair and glasses, liked to wear shirts under a jumper.

It was Alex Holmes I think, actually

he was a cool guy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.