The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Private Halls - Wilmslow Park?!

Hey,
Im in the same situation as alot of you guys, I already live in 25 miles of Manc so i've gott go into private halls. I called today and tried to blag my parents were moving to Scotland but they said it didnt make a difference.
I'm studying marketing management at aytoun campus but I think im gonna go with wilmslow park because ive been told you want to be near fallowfield. Things im worried about is the price and the social aspect of being in a private hall.
Is anyone else thinking of going into wilmslow park? or heard anything good or bad about the place? or does anyone have any other recommendations
Add me on facebook aswell if your into techno/dubstep, im big into music and also add me if your studying marketing

any info would help
take it easy
Reply 1
Im studying advertising and brand management at aytoun, a bit different tho :frown:
Im going student village I think, despite the bad things I've heard, being right on oxford road is a pretty big bonus, and it's 10 mins walk from aytoun. Its pretty cheap, medium room 72 quid/week for 43 weeks (Im going for 51 which carries a discount) +£250 for your bills and that's it.
Wilmslow is expensive and leaves me with like £20 a week because I'm using grant and loan and my 'rents aren't helping... cant understand how other people afford it. Plus you have to get the bus really from there which costs obv.
You'd be happy in manchester theres loads of music nights if you didn't know. Plenty of dubstep, all my mates are into it, me not so much. I like a bit of techno tho :smile:
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
I applied to wilmslow park accommadation as my first choice but I haven't heard back yet, The main drawback from what I gather of wilmslow park is that it's quite expensive. though on the good side it's on oxford road, it's not too far from the centre or the uni. A short bus ride or walk away, theres a few shops below and the rooms look quite nice from what I gather/good facilities. im hoping to go to alot of dubstep/electronic type nights once im there.
Reply 3
Wilmslow park is nice, it's my 3rd and 4th choice (4th being deluxe room) its my 3rd and 4th because its the furthest away from all saints campus where i'll be studying but i have stayed there with a friend who was staying there last year and it was really nice, the people there seem really nice and up for a party, theyre not all boring snobs
Reply 4
Cooljack
im hoping to go to alot of dubstep/electronic type nights once im there.

Wilmslow park is right near saki bar and they have a dubstep night on fridays which is pretty good... its like across the road
Reply 5
I'll be in Victoria Point, another private hall that's about 5 minutes up Hathersage Road. I'm a massive dubstep fan too so I'll probably bump into some of you on nights out :smile:
Reply 6
fidget
Wilmslow park is right near saki bar and they have a dubstep night on fridays which is pretty good... its like across the road

yeah thats another good one, they have alot of small good nights on from what i've seen and been to
Reply 7
Wilmslow park is a uni hall as well as private so it's not much different from just being in uni halls.
Reply 8
Lived there in my first year. Very clean, well kept place, expensive, and residents are treated like children imo.

Not very social. A lot of the residents are Indian and Chinese if your not staying in the block designated to MMU students which you wont be if you dont book through the university.
Reply 9
Im really confused now, was speaking to friends last night and they said block A in wilmslow park is always a good laugh, but im in block E lol
but then someone said that i should think about beechwood gardens as its in fallowfield and right near owns park.
could be a risk though, think its meant for mature and post grad students
any ideas anyone?
Reply 10
Never heard of Beechwood gardens. To be quite honest I would take quiet halls over party halls any day. you can always meet people and go to their parties, but there is nothing more annoying than when you have an exam the next day and people are raving out in the kid next doors room and 4am smashing everything around them.
Reply 11
Wilmslow Park is really nice, my friend lived there last year. Perfect location end of curry mile, bus stop just outside, Tesco/Subway/Varsity etc below, and only few minutes into uni. Most who live there are students.
i also looked into the student village but wasnt really into appling to somewhere without any pictures of the rooms! so i have ended up just appling to wilmslow! bit gutted that its meant to be quiet as not really quiet myself! it doesnt seem that expensive compared to the others that i have lookd at and as my rents are paying they said i could even apply for a delux!:smile:
Reply 13
Ive just been offered a place in wilmslow park! Im not sure wether i want to take the offer cus this all sounds bad. I love to party and just hope im not with loads of foreign students :s-smilie:
Reply 14
zeyo
Ive just been offered a place in wilmslow park! Im not sure wether i want to take the offer cus this all sounds bad. I love to party and just hope im not with loads of foreign students :s-smilie:

Im in the same situation as you mate! i got offered this and wondering whether to take it dont fancy being in a place full of people that are in bed by 11pm!
QUOTE=leewilz]Im in the same situation as you mate! i got offered this and wondering whether to take it dont fancy being in a place full of people that are in bed by 11pm!

I just applied to wilmslow park and got an offer, im not posh and i deffinately wont be in bed by 11. I hope it isn't full of people who arent out for geting recked as ile be gutted. Heavy drinking and partyin is what its all about, so accept your offer if your up for that! I dont wanna be stuck with f***ing pricks.
Reply 16
i got in there too so ive moved to student village that looks like a prison but sounds real fun haha!

Latest

Trending

Trending