Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a medium/large frame anyway but have always been over weight and could do to shift many pounds.
    I am 17 years old, 5ft 10" and currently weigh 185lbs. This makes me about 40lbs over my ideal weight.
    Although I am over weight I am curvy. I'm bust -42 waist -35 and hips-44 and a dress size 14.
    I'd like to lose a little weight before going back to college mid Spetember.
    I really need to do this for myself to look healthier and feel healthier.
    What would you say is an ideal weight to lose in 2 months?
    Obviously i don't expect to lose the whole 40lbs, that would be unhealthy. I was thinking about 15lbs?
    What do you guys think?
    To give you a bit of information on what i do now.
    Breakfast usually nothing
    Lunch usually tuna on white bread
    Dinner would be more carbs like pasta or noodles even.
    As you can see no fruit or veg there.
    I also tend to drink alot of flavoured water.
    Exercise wise, i have horses so I am active twice a day for at least 2 hours. I also take my dog for a 15 min walk, but thats about it.
    Any advice on recommended healthy diet plans and good fat burning exercises would be appreiciated.
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Start by eating breakfast, every morning. By eating breakfast your less likely to snack during the day. Healthy cereals such as weetabix or branflakes would be a good start.

Try to eat more frequently, but smaller portions. Try and get into a routine with eating (time specific), don't skip breakfast every other day or your metabolism will not improve.

Perhaps try to include higher intensity exercise in your daily routine, e.g take your dog for a run in the park, not just a walk.

Make sure you do start to incorporate fruit and veg into your diet, they contain important vitamins/minerals that can help you develop a healthier body overall. Potentially, start taking vitamin supplements to ensure your body has the necessarily nutritional levels.

The most important thing, have a positive mindset. Believe in yourself that you can lose weight and you will, having a half hearted attitude will achieve nothing. Also, I find that setting numerous targets will help you, not just one. For example, start by challenging yourself to losing 5lbs, then steadily increasing the amount. The sense of achievement will help you to become more motivated.

Good luck.

(Original post by 13ecca)
    I have a medium/large frame anyway but have always been over weight and could do to shift many pounds.
    I am 17 years old, 5ft 10" and currently weigh 185lbs. This makes me about 40lbs over my ideal weight.
    Although I am over weight I am curvy. I'm bust -42 waist -35 and hips-44 and a dress size 14.
    Obviously i don't expect to lose the whole 40lbs, that would be unhealthy. I was thinking about 15lbs?
    What do you guys think?
    Exercise wise, i have horses so I am active twice a day for at least 2 hours. I also take my dog for a 15 min walk, but thats about it.
    Any advice on recommended healthy diet plans and good fat burning exercises would be appreiciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Walk more. 15 minutes is nothing; last night I went out for a two-and-three-quarter hour walk on a whim. Maybe not this much for you, but definitely an hour a day or so. Walk fast so your legs burn.
    Eat more meat (and not just sliced ham, I'm talking about big lumps of chicken, pork, beef &c).
    Eat more fruit.
    Have porridge for breakfast every morning.

ReputationRep:
    2lbs a week is good, healthy weight loss. I am planning the same thing, but I'm a bit ahead of you as I started my weight loss last year and have lost 2 and a half stone. I'm aiming for another stone in the next two months (which is 2lbs a week ).
    If you're going to exercise, you need to make sure you do some muscle toning to make sure you're losing fat and not muscle, as muscle glycogen is where the body prefers to get its energy from, which is baaaad. That is light weights, lots of reps

Edit: Cutting out carbs, in my opinion, is a bad idea. You don't get glycogen stored if you're inactive, but you also don't get any energy! Carbs are very important. If you're going to cut them out, make sure you take appropriate measures to replace them.

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand how your overweight with that diet and exercise regime.
    Most people that are overweight eat apalling diets like McD's every day and what not, and dont ever exercise... never mind horse riding twice a day.
    Plus in your profile photo, you dont look overweight at all....

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, breakfast is a must so do try to eat something low GI (porridge is a great one for filling you up and giving you slow release energy).

Portion control - most overweight people don't necessarily eat chocolate crisps and cakes 24/7 - they usually just eat too much of the good stuff. So weigh everything. Google what portion sizes should look like and stick to it. A medium portion of muesli for example, is 50g which when weighed out, looks like a measly portion. But, that's what keeps the calories down - smaller portions.

Don't go too drastic and start eating rabbit food, it's really not necessary. However, if you're not sure how to get the healthy balance right, try a slimming club of some sort for some guidance. I've lost 3 stone in the last 12 months on Weight Watchers online. I've personally taken to it like a duck to water, but some people don't like counting points - it's swings and roundabouts.

A stone (14lbs) between now and September is do-able, but don't get dishearted if in the first few weeks you don't see major results. It took me a good 6/7 weeks to see results as I was building muscle and losing fat at the same time.
    Try and get some resistance work in, to stop you from going 'wobbly'. Free weights are personally my best friend, as are squats and lunges.
    For cardio, take the dog out for a minimum of an hour and walk briskly so that it's hard to keep up a conversation - you should be struggling to talk - that's when it most effective.
    Anything that gets you hot and sweaty for 20 minutes or more is great - walking, skipping, stair climbing etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys, I will take all into account and work on it
    Also to all of you who are losing/lost weight well done. It's nice to read that it can be done!

(Original post by Gaga!)
    I dont understand how your overweight with that diet and exercise regime.
    Most people that are overweight eat apalling diets like McD's every day and what not, and dont ever exercise... never mind horse riding twice a day.
    Plus in your profile photo, you dont look overweight at all....

I guess its down to my genetics and my metabolism at the end of the day. However I am a "pear" shape so carry most of my weight around my hips, bum and thighs. Typical horse rider eh?!

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think?
    Thanks in advance.

I think it's definitely do-able. I was 190lbs at my biggest, and now I'm a scrawny runt at 90lbs- but middle ground like you're aiming for is more than possible if you're willing to put the work in.

I can tell you all the usual stuff like eat breakfast, swap white bread for brown etc but I would be a complete hypocrite if I did! But small changes can make a massive difference, and like Ilora-Danon said- portion size is very important. I have yummy/naughty things, just not too many of them. Also is the flavoured water sugar free? I know the Volvic Touch of Fruit stuff comes in sugar-free and normal but I think they taste the same... seems silly to go for all the calories!

Good luck

PS: In your profile picture you're really really pretty!

(Original post by JemSevenV)
    2lbs a week is good, healthy weight loss. I am planning the same thing, but I'm a bit ahead of you as I started my weight loss last year and have lost 2 and a half stone. I'm aiming for another stone in the next two months (which is 2lbs a week ).
    If you're going to exercise, you need to make sure you do some muscle toning to make sure you're losing fat and not muscle, as muscle glycogen is where the body prefers to get its energy from, which is baaaad. That is light weights, lots of reps

Edit: Cutting out carbs, in my opinion, is a bad idea. You don't get glycogen stored if you're inactive, but you also don't get any energy! Carbs are very important. If you're going to cut them out, make sure you take appropriate measures to replace them.
    light weights and lots of reps

how light a weight and how many reps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    light weights and lots of reps

how light a weight and how many reps?
    You have to experiment. Whatever feels quite light to you really. You can research this for yourself

Knowledge earnt is more valuable than knowledge given.

ReputationRep:
    You have to experiment. Whatever feels quite light to you really. You can research this for yourself

Knowledge earnt is more valuable than knowledge given.
    Definitely the case here!

ReputationRep:

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.
    No.

EAT breakfast, cereal has BARELY any fat nor does it add major calories, plus you need the calcium in milk to function properly.

Lunch should be a HOMEMADE tuna pasta salad. protein, carbs and minerals.

for dinner you want again fish or white meat and some fruit or veg.

going on a horse isnt exercise LMFAO. go swimming on the weekends, and early in the morning go for a 1 hr jog everyday. trust me when i say you will SHIFT the pounds.

ReputationRep:
    I would just concentrate on getting your waist circumference down to at least 32 inches. That's far more important than overall weight or dress size.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    You need to eat breakfast, get about 20g of protein with every meal, cut out refined carbs, increase intake of healthy fats, get more fresh fruit and vegetables!

ReputationRep:
    This thread is over a year old now! Why bump it?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.