Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been interested in business/finance/econ since I was about 8, now I am 15. Unlike many students my age I like to "plan" and think ahead ALOT.

I've chosen 6 schools I'd like to apply to do Economics at, however I'm a bit concerned about employability at a top tier IB based on school.

These are the schools I hope to apply for:

1. LSE
    2. Oxbridge
    3. Warwick
    4. UCL
    5. Bristol
    6. Durham?

Obviously Oxbridge and LSE are much harder to get in to for economics then any of the rest, however I think I have a pretty fair shot being in the top 6/200 students in my year with an ability to work hard and predicted GCSE grades as:

7A*'s, 5A's and 1B (4 of the 7 A*'s being in related subjects; Mathematics and Business Studies).

Can I go to Warwick or Bristol and still get into a top tier IB?

ReputationRep:
    I've been interested in business/finance/econ since I was about 8
    wow, i have never heard that before!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pow!)
    wow, i have never heard that before!!
    I have also.

ReputationRep:
    How dare you rank Warwick above UCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    I have also.
    amen. in fact, i think its so original, you should use it as your opening line for your personal statement :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by `Yousef)
    being in the top 6/200 students in my year
    "top 6".... so sixth then. otherwise would have put top 5 lol

ReputationRep:
    Out of Warwick and Bristol i would say Warwick has the better chance. However both could get you into an IB whether or not it could get you into the top ones like Goldman sachs i think it would be harder.

ReputationRep:
    erm yes - any uni in the top 10 will give you a good shot.

I've been interested in business/finance/econ since I was about 8, now I am 15. Unlike many students my age I like to "plan" and think ahead ALOT.
    you're 15, you will change your mind during a levels, if not then you seriosly should research what economics is about

if you want to go into banking and finance then take finance, accounting, business, mathematics, actuarial science

economics is a separate subject

if you really must take economics, then LSE UCL warwick cambridge are the top 4 and probably most employable

but i've heard birmingham is also quite employable aswell

there are many business, actuarial and finance degrees which are less oversubscribed than economics

actuarial science at city university you would guarantee yourself a job aswell

so no need to constrain yourself to economics at warwick or bristol

there are finance related degrees with very good employability

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    you're 15, you will change your mind during a levels, if not then you seriosly should research what economics is about
    Quite possibly. When I was your age, I was toying with English Literature, History, Law and Economics. I didn't make my final decision until August 2008, and sent my form off in September.

if you want to go into banking and finance then take finance, accounting, business, mathematics, actuarial science
    Apart from Mathematics, this is very dubious advice. Firstly, very few top universities offer respectably finance-based courses (LSE, UCL, Warwick). And, in terms of banking, Accounting, Business and Actuarial Science are far less useful than Economics from a top university.

if you really must take economics, then LSE UCL warwick cambridge are the top 4 and probably most employable
    And Oxford of course!

but i've heard birmingham is also quite employable aswell
    I'd say it's quite a leap from Oxbridge, UCL, LSE and Warwick to Birmingham. Places like Durham, Bristol and Nottingham are far more employable.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I've been interested in business/finance/econ since I was about 8
    That's like year 3 or 4 right? I feel sorry for you. :lolwut:

But seriously concentrate on your GCSE's and then A-levels first. It's unclear what the investment banking industry will be like by the time you'll graduate.

ReputationRep:
    If you're applying to study economics to get into a bank, p*ss off and let someone who's interested in it have your place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ObaMartins9)
    If you're applying to study economics to get into a bank, p*ss off and let someone who's interested in it have your place.
    I agree with this :yes:

In fact, I'm finding more and more I'm agreeing with your "real life advice".
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    In fact, I'm finding more and more I'm agreeing with your "real life advice".
    An interesting turn of events. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, you are too young to be thinking about things in this much detail. A number of factors come into play if you want to be employed by a top tier IB- intelligence, work experience/internships, interest and knowledge about IB, contacts- I would be looking to build these up before you start worrying about whether to go to LSE or UCL etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ObaMartins9)
    Most people do Economics because they think it'll get them a good job. I'm not really a fan of it either, but I'm not sure what the OP said to deserve that.

ReputationRep:
    The only reason why you should study a specific subject is because you like it, not because you think it will be something benefital. If you don't like the subject either way you will fail miserably.

ReputationRep:
    how can you actually think of doing economics/finance courses at the age of 8?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomasK)
    The only reason why you should study a specific subject is because you like it, not because you think it will be something benefital. If you don't like the subject either way you will fail miserably.
    Wrong. I, and many others I suspect, don't particularly enjoy it but manage to do well. We're not exceptions to the rule because there is no such rule.

ReputationRep:

I've chosen 6 schools I'd like to apply to do Economics at, however I'm a bit concerned about employability at a top tier IB based on school.

These are the schools I hope to apply for:

1. LSE
    2. Oxbridge
    3. Warwick
    4. UCL
    5. Bristol
    6. Durham?

Obviously Oxbridge and LSE are much harder to get in to for economics then any of the rest, however I think I have a pretty fair shot being in the top 6/200 students in my year with an ability to work hard and predicted GCSE grades as:

7A*'s, 5A's and 1B (4 of the 7 A*'s being in related subjects; Mathematics and Business Studies).

Can I go to Warwick or Bristol and still get into a top tier IB?
    Read my sticky econ theads. But:
    i) You can only choose 5 courses for UCAS.
    ii) 7 GCSE A*s is good by normal standards but only moderate by the crazily competitve standards of econ applications. So you should include an AAB.2.1 safety. (see TAELT 2010 for which unis are currently in that category.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.