Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How do you know what love is, if you've never experienced it before. I used to think when I was younger 14/15 that the guys I were seeing I was in love with, but now 3/4 years later I realise that It was never love just lust...because how can you love someone you don't know. This makes me wonder how people can fall in love with someone at first sight? I don't think I've ever been in love and it makes me wonder how will I know...cos I don't feel I've ever been loved by anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I'd quote myself from a previous thread but I don't know where it is.

Basically, love doesn't exist and it's pointless contemplating.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder the same thing, im in the camp that i dont think love at first sight exsists, however i think love isnt a measurable thing at times, it is different for person to person, and i dont think its easily concievable to think about how someone else can love someone else.

I think the best thing i can say is that im sure you will know when you are in love, as cliched as it may sound it think it will be obvious.

ReputationRep:
    It's no problem, always remember....."What's love but a second hand emotion"

i'm kidding, you'll find love sooner or later

ReputationRep:
    It's a funny thing.
    I guess the best way to describe it is when you meet someone that becomes a part of your life so much that you don't know what you did before they came along.

I think the 'love at first sight' thing is applied retrospectively. You don't love someone when you first meet them, but you can certainly fancy them and it develops from there.

ReputationRep:
    Well, as, you say, at the time, you might not feel you know for sure whether you're in love. But when you look back not long after you do things for this other person that you never thought you would do (ie, sometimes, the efforts and sacrifices you go through for another person), then that may help show that you love them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)
    It's no problem, always remember....."What's love but a second hand emotion"

i'm kidding, you'll find love sooner or later

lol thanks...I have no problem pulling guys. I know this is going to sound awfully arrogant and big headed but I can basically get any guy I want. What I'm wondering is how can you tell what love is? would you say when your constantly thinking about someone and wondering if their thinking of you or not..and you wouldn't wanna date anyone else... is that love or just lust?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILoveOrangeJuice)
    lol thanks...I have no problem pulling guys. I know this is going to sound awfully arrogant and big headed but I can basically get any guy I want. What I'm wondering is how can you tell what love is? would you say when your constantly thinking about someone and wondering if their thinking of you or not..and you wouldn't wanna date anyone else... is that love or just lust?
    That could be Infactuation. I think you'll know the feeling of love when you really find it

ReputationRep:
    You can just feel it.

It's different from lust, and god knows many people will experience that. This is a question that will be answered differently by so many people.

ReputationRep:
    That could be Infactuation. I think you'll know the feeling of love when you really find it

OH MY GOD I think it is infatuation. I'm hopeless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ctarling)
    It's a funny thing.
    I guess the best way to describe it is when you meet someone that becomes a part of your life so much that you don't know what you did before they came along.
    :yes: I agree with this.

ReputationRep:
    OH MY GOD I think it is infatuation. I'm hopeless
    Ohhhh Damm Noo...I didn't mean you're infactuated, i mean't from what you're saying it could be infactuation

But still if you find love, you'll know it's Love i guess.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know what love is, if you've never experienced it before. I used to think when I was younger 14/15 that the guys I were seeing I was in love with, but now 3/4 years later I realise that It was never love just lust...because how can you love someone you don't know. This makes me wonder how people can fall in love with someone at first sight? I don't think I've ever been in love and it makes me wonder how will I know...cos I don't feel I've ever been loved by anyone?
    You're in love when all you want in the world is to be with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ctarling)
    It's a funny thing.
    I would say that is how you know you love someone, but not how to tell if you are IN love with someone. Best friends, the people you trust with everything, you can love them in the sense that you don't know how you ever coped without them, but that's not to say you ever have or will be in love with them in a romantic sense...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misswilliams)
    :yes: I agree with this.
    I felt that before, but when i snapped out i realised i was infactuated. So is it independent from person to person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forsaken_earth)
    You're in love when all you want in the world is to be with them.
    THAT'S IT!! RIGHT THERE.

Thats the ultimate description i guess and you would give up your life for them??

ReputationRep:
    :eek: How? Share your tips then...

ReputationRep:
    THAT'S IT!! RIGHT THERE.

Thats the ultimate discription i guess and you would give up your life for them??
    Haha im glad you agree. It's what I said when my mum first asked me what I thought love was. I was about four.

ReputationRep:
    Love doesnt exist

ReputationRep:
    THAT'S IT!! RIGHT THERE.

Thats the ultimate description i guess and you would give up your life for them??

wouldn't you say that's more obsession than love itself?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.