Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm currently in the Officer application process with the RAF, more specifically preparing for my filter interview.

My question is, does anyone know the difference between;

'Air Traffic Control Officer'
    and
    'SNCO Air Traffic Controller'?

Probably a stupid question, but hey thats whats forums are for.

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I think the first one is a fully commisioned officer, whereas the SNCO air traffic controller is just a senior Non-Commissioned Officer (ie sergeant or above).

Correct me if I'm wrong, this is a complete guess.

The first one is a commissioned officer and the second is a non commissioned officer (i.e. someone who has risen through the ranks)

ReputationRep:
    The ATC Officer is commissioned and is in charge of the operation. The SNCO ATCllr is like a supervisor.

Wikipedia Sergeant and Commissioned Officer for more.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I thought the same, but as you can see here

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/s...ers&subbut4=Go

the only difference seems to be the title and the pay after training.

????

ReputationRep:
    cheers people,

wasn't quick enough in my reply lol

ReputationRep:
    So when you see SNCO AIr traffic controller on the website is anyone able to apply for that or do you have to have progressed up throught the ranks?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone can apply if you meet the minimum requirements, I'm applying for it along with ATCO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    The ATC Officer is commissioned and is in charge of the operation. The SNCO ATCllr is like a supervisor.

Wikipedia Sergeant and Commissioned Officer for more.
    Not quite.

An officer will always take charge in a situation, and can reach endorsements such as ATCO I/C and Supervisor very quickly. We can also gain the posting of DSATCO or SATCO. There's also many more, such as LEO's etc.

Steve - ATCO

ReputationRep:
    If I remember rightly only commissioned officers and warrant officers can be supervisors (the person standing at the back making sure all is going well) - unless that's changed? Not correctly you Dagowly, just asking for clarification of what I remember.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Let's not confuse Supervisor, which is a specific ATC role with 'holding a supervisory position' which is what all SNCOs often do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Let's not confuse Supervisor, which is a specific ATC role with 'holding a supervisory position' which is what all SNCOs often do
    That's my thoughts exactly, talking to the Supervisor is not the same as having a supervisory role as an SNCO: which is what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Spot on

Though its really now ATCO IC in most towers. Which i quote from the bible - RAF ATC Orders - 200.130.7

"a. At airfields where a supervisor is not established, or outside established supervisor hours, the SATCO is normally to roster an officer or WO as ATCO IC watch.

b. Exceptionally, the SATCO may roster an SNCO holding all endorsements applicable to the period of the Watch, as ATCO IC provided that no more than 3 controllers will be on Watch, non of whom are commissioned officers or WOs"

We've only ever had one time that a Sgt held the book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dagowly)
    Spot on

Though its really now ATCO IC in most towers. Which i quote from the bible - RAF ATC Orders - 200.130.7

"a. At airfields where a supervisor is not established, or outside established supervisor hours, the SATCO is normally to roster an officer or WO as ATCO IC watch.

b. Exceptionally, the SATCO may roster an SNCO holding all endorsements applicable to the period of the Watch, as ATCO IC provided that no more than 3 controllers will be on Watch, non of whom are commissioned officers or WOs"

We've only ever had one time that a Sgt held the book.
    This is why this sites a goldmine

Can anyone translate the acronims for us hopefulls?

ReputationRep:
    ATCO = Air Traffic Control Officer (Plt Off, Fg Off, Flt Lt)
    ATC = Air Traffic Control
    IC = In Command
    SATCO = Senior ATCO (Sqn Ldr)
    SNCO = Senior Non-Commissioned Officer (Sgt and above)
    WO = Warrant Officer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorey)
    This is why this sites a goldmine

Can anyone translate the acronims for us hopefulls?
    Is it really worth knowing all this stuff though? Too much is confusing.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.