Turn on thread page Beta

Extended Project :( [poll] watch

• View Poll Results: Would you recommend me doing an extended project?
    Yes
    55.56%
    No
    44.44%

ReputationRep:
    hey. i've just finished my AS levels, and i am thinking of applying to psychology at uni. i really need urgent help:

Would it be wise for me to take an extended project?
    will it genuinely affect my uni application? - how much of an advantage would it actually put me at?
    what if i take it and then drop it having received offers/what if i fail it?
    Honestly - is it a lot of work? How many hours per week roughly?
    anyone regret taking it/glad they took it? have many people found it too hard?

i'm very worried about it - my main concern is not doing so well in my a2s because of it.. would it really be that beneficial (uni application wise)? we start in september and i think we finish at easter/in may or something. so before study leave. it is 6000 words.

i think i might enjoy it, but i'm not sure because i've never done such a large project.
    cheers,josh.

ReputationRep:
    You will enjoy it because you are doing it on something that interests YOU.

And (apparently) universities love it as it shows you can do independant research, essential for when you study at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayAyy)
    You will enjoy it because you are doing it on something that interests YOU.
    Yes, but is it still possible to get bogged down in such a huge amount of work?

And (apparently) universities love it as it shows you can do independant research, essential for when you study at uni.
    do you think it helps directly when being considered by a uni?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    I don't think 6000 words is enough for it. Maybe I'm insane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    I don't think 6000 words is enough for it. Maybe I'm insane.
    nah it's 6000 words i think- dissertation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _joshb_)
    Yes, but is it still possible to get bogged down in such a huge amount of work?

do you think it helps directly when being considered by a uni?
    1) The more work you can handle, the better it will be seen by universities.

2) Yes.

ReputationRep:
    I think they're very overrated. If you can demonstrate in your personal statement through other methods (outside reading, VERY relevant extra-curriculars etc.) that you're more than just a regular A-Level student, you will be fine.

To put it in perspective, about 35 people from my school got into Oxbridge and none of us did an extended project. In fact, nobody I know who got into Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Durham, Warwick, Bristol, Imperial, Nottingham etc. did one.

If you have very good academics, a convincing personal statement and reference, you stand as good a chance as anybody. Obviously the EP will look good, that's undeniable, but is it worth your time? I'm unsure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deipnosophist123)
    I think they're very overrated. If you can demonstrate in your personal statement through other methods (outside reading, VERY relevant extra-curriculars etc.) that you're more than just a regular A-Level student, you will be fine.
    Everyone has done (or claimed to have done) outside reading. Also, people who do medicine, law and accountancy again all have (or claimed to have) very relevat extra-curriculars (we are assuming they are applying to a top 10 university). Therefore, you will be seen as the 'same' as every other candidate. The EP is designed to differentiate the people who claim to have a passion for the subject to people who actually RESEARCH and provide evidence that they have a stronger passion for the subject that other candidates.

To put it in perspective, about 35 people from my school got into Oxbridge and none of us did an extended project. In fact, nobody I know who got into Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Durham, Warwick, Bristol, Imperial, Nottingham etc. did one.
    Fair enough. But remember, all schools are different. Was your school one of the top schools by any chance?

If you have very good academics, a convincing personal statement and reference, you stand as good a chance as anybody. Obviously the EP will look good, that's undeniable, but is it worth your time? I'm unsure.
    This is all true, but the EP may be the deciding factor when choosing between candidates. And it is worth your time: the skills you gain (independant research, presentational skills etc.) and the information you gain from the subject you are doing (espcially if it is related to your course) would be EXTREMELY useful when applying to university.

Not saying that your points were wrong, just my 10 pence.

ReputationRep:
    hey. i've just finished my AS levels, and i am thinking of applying to psychology at uni. i really need urgent help:

Would it be wise for me to take an extended project?
    will it genuinely affect my uni application? - how much of an advantage would it actually put me at?
    what if i take it and then drop it having received offers/what if i fail it?
    Honestly - is it a lot of work? How many hours per week roughly?
    anyone regret taking it/glad they took it? have many people found it too hard?

i'm very worried about it - my main concern is not doing so well in my a2s because of it.. would it really be that beneficial (uni application wise)? we start in september and i think we finish at easter/in may or something. so before study leave. it is 6000 words.

i think i might enjoy it, but i'm not sure because i've never done such a large project.
    cheers,josh.
    I'd recommend doing it if you choose a topic that you are genuinely interested in. It is certainly worth the time as it shows to universities that you are seriously interested in a particular subject and that you can research a topic of your own interest independently. Many people claim to have a passion for their subject but how many can actually show it? As JayAyy has said, it's easy to read a few books outside your lessons and to do some extra-curriculars related to your subject, but how many will actually take their time to do research on their chosen subject and present it as a formal project? Obviously it's hard work but that's why it's so rewarding and looked favourably looked upon.

My college told us it needs to be about 5000 words (or an artefact or a live performance + about 1000 words).

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I did one (our school made everyone) and it was the first question at my oxbridge interview and they said they were really interested in what id found out etc etc- so as a guess if your looking at a university like that they like it

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but can I just ask, does your college/sixth form just say that they let you do an extended project? Its just my sixth form hasn't mentioned it at all and its sounds interesting to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighSkies)
    Sorry, but can I just ask, does your college/sixth form just say that they let you do an extended project? Its just my sixth form hasn't mentioned it at all and its sounds interesting to do.
    Keep asking about it to your subject teachers, senior tutors, head of 6th form etc. I think that would be a good way of showing that you are really interested in doing the extended project.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighSkies)
    our teachers made us very aware of it when choosing our options for our second year, if your college did run it chances are you would be very aware of it - ask around.

(Original post by overtherainbow)
    I did one (our school made everyone)
    (Original post by rapha)
    Obviously it's hard work
    1) The more work you can handle, the better it will be seen by universities.
    cheers for the replies everyone!
    Has anyone done it and found it too hard? - have you(or has anyone you know) found it has genuinely affected a2 grades? is it likely to affect grades a lot?
    towards the end of the year coming up to exam time - does the work load become a struggle?

is it ever included in an offer? what if i take it and then drop it having received offers/what if i fail it - i mean i know if you drop a subject (even if it's not included in your offer) you must inform the uni, and they can then cancel their offer - is it actually likely they would withdraw offers if i dropped it?

genuinely sorry for asking so many questions by the way!

ReputationRep:
    our teachers made us very aware of it when choosing our options for our second year, if your college did run it chances are you would be very aware of it - ask around.

cheers for the replies everyone!
    Has anyone done it and found it too hard? - have you(or has anyone you know) found it has genuinely affected a2 grades? is it likely to affect grades a lot?
    towards the end of the year coming up to exam time - does the work load become a struggle?

is it ever included in an offer? what if i take it and then drop it having received offers/what if i fail it - i mean i know if you drop a subject (even if it's not included in your offer) you must inform the uni, and they can then cancel their offer - is it actually likely they would withdraw offers if i dropped it?

genuinely sorry for asking so many questions by the way!
    I'm sorry I can't answer most of your questions since I'm doing mine over the summer.
    The coordinator at my college (basically the person responsible for the EP at my college) said that when we get back we have to make the final amendments to the project and last year it was generally quite stressful for the students who were doing it because they were doing their A2s and finishing their EP at the same time so I imagine it must be even worse for those who are doing it throughout year 13.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rapha)
    last year it was generally quite stressful for the students who were doing it because they were doing their A2s and finishing their EP at the same time so I imagine it must be even worse for those who are doing it throughout year 13.
    so is it likely to affect my a2 results :/ it finishes in may at my college (so we have study leave free)

ReputationRep:
    so is it likely to affect my a2 results :/ it finishes in may at my college (so we have study leave free)
    If you can manage your time effectively, I don't think it will but I'm not in the position to say because I haven't started A2 yet. I'd give it a go anyway. If you find that you can't handle it wthout jeopardising your A2 results, just ask your school or college to drop it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by overtherainbow)
    I did one (our school made everyone) and it was the first question at my oxbridge interview and they said they were really interested in what id found out etc etc- so as a guess if your looking at a university like that they like it
    Did you get into Oxbridge and do you think that the Extended Project helped with your overall university application?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the extended project atm, and it is quite a lot of work. It's not so much the project itself that I'm finding challenging, but the way in which everything you do has to be documented. It gets annoying after a while! I'm planning on just writing the essay, which shouldn't take too long, then making up the boring paperwork afterwards. Another bad thing about the project is that the person marking it knows nothing about your subject, so it's the planning and organisation of the work that gets marked rather than the essay (or whatever format you decide upon).

Would it not be possible for you to do all or most of it this summer OP before you start you A2s? That's what people from my school are doing, so that it doesn't interfere with A2 work. Someone on here said it takes 130 hours, but I'm aiming for 20 max

As for what happens if you fail/ drop it, as far as I know nothing happens as no unis have mentioned it including it in their offers (although some such as Bristol have agreed to lower their offers by one grade for those taking it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    I'm doing the extended project atm, and it is quite a lot of work. It's not so much the project itself that I'm finding challenging, but the way in which everything you do has to be documented. It gets annoying after a while! I'm planning on just writing the essay, which shouldn't take too long, then making up the boring paperwork afterwards. Another bad thing about the project is that the person marking it knows nothing about your subject, so it's the planning and organisation of the work that gets marked rather than the essay (or whatever format you decide upon).

Would it not be possible for you to do all or most of it this summer OP before you start you A2s? That's what people from my school are doing, so that it doesn't interfere with A2 work. Someone on here said it takes 130 hours, but I'm aiming for 20 max

As for what happens if you fail/ drop it, as far as I know nothing happens as no unis have mentioned it including it in their offers (although some such as Bristol have agreed to lower their offers by one grade for those taking it).
    Yeah, true. But the EPQ is about independent research and learning, and showing you can do a project on your own. You get marks for how clearly you present your findings in your essay, so that the person who knows nothing about it can still understand. I agree it does get annoying after a while though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AG27)
    Did you get into Oxbridge and do you think that the Extended Project helped with your overall university application?
    Yep i got in and i think it definately helped with oxbridge though im not as sure about the rest though it cant have hurt!

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.