Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...e-media-habits

Anyone else read his note?

It obviously wasn't edited very well and the whole "by Matthew Robson (aged 15 and 7 months)" makes him come across more as a child than a trend-defining teen. He does, however make the very good (albeit very obvious) point about twitter. I'm not particularly convinced that his sample of friends is fully representative of all, or even majority of teens though. The more interesting point, however, is the reaction the note has caused. Apparently it's caused up to 6x the usual response (?) - are Morgan Stanley's clients (HF managers, senior management, etc.) really that out of touch?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand what's so special about the note (link to the actual note http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ses/article.do on the page).
    #1) The kid is not representative of all kids
    #2) Even if he was, it wouldn't make a difference because even if kids don't Twitter doesn't mean they won't start etc.
    #3) I'm not sure whether he understands marketing well enough to say that billboards are useless. He might just not notice their effect on him in terms of brand awareness etc. - This sort of crops up elsewhere. He should focus on what teenagers do, not how they think things are working on them.

Nevertheless I think it makes a lot of good points.

Interesting that a comprehensive school kid scored such a prestigious internship at 15... the rest of the story is less interesting (to me).

ReputationRep:
    Taking a step back, you have to admire two aspects:

a) the fact that the MS team backed him and gave him a chance to shine, as opposed to photocopying and fetching coffee (no prizes for guessing this fall's HR pitch)

b) the fact that he made the most of the opportunity and wrote a piece that (if not edited) is remarkable for somebody his age - most people who write off his comments as obvious would not have found it so obvious at that age.

ReputationRep:
    How the **** did a 15 year old get an internship at MS?

ReputationRep:
    Imo Twitter isn't even aimed at 15 year olds ... schoolkids have **** all to write about anyway, they can't do anything, same goes for using Facebook - which Zuckerburg set up for Uni students. These network sites are really aimed at 6th formers and even more so at University students. Myspace is for 15 year olds.

I'm guessing old grannies don't Twitter, because they aren't the intended market either. So Network sites aren't good for Market Development, big deal, they are still doing very well with their intended market.

And, "15-year old expert"?! How is he an 'expert'? He's just an average kid. Clearly one that doesn't use Twitter either; ergo, is not an expert on it. He'll find the need for such network sites after he leaves school, starts college, leaves college and moves away to Uni. That constant reshuffling of friends makes such sites necessary for getting to know your new friends and keeping in touch with the old ones, what would he and his friends know about that? They're all much too young, and still in the happy world of seeing every friend you've ever had the next day at school. Without needing to catch up with old friends, or having anything interesting to talk about (eg, "just got back from school, doing English homework " or "having dinner then going to bed!" ...) what would he need it for anyway? That's why they don't use it, they have no need for it. He may be able to talk for school kids, but he certainly can't speak for all teens, like the older ones, which he claims to be able to.

However, I agree on the point of online advertising. Marketing departments clearly have no idea at all on how useless it is, all of it is money wasted. I'm not sure if others agree with me on this, but I can honestly say that I have never noticed - even less, been influenced by a single internet ad that I have ever seen. Generally they all piss me off, especially pop-ups, the use of which makes me lose respect for a company. It's almost a sign of desperation for customers to me, and showing complete disregard for the fact that they are getting 'in my way'.

ReputationRep:
    The burning jealousy in this thread is quite hilarious...

Most notes generate nearly no interest at all.

The content is useless. The way he thinks, if generally representative, is more useful.

Plenty of places chuck a freebie 'bit of work' pass to kids from nearish schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Most notes generate nearly no interest at all.
    What are you trying to say?

Most generate no interest - this one did...

(Original post by Shayke)
    What are you trying to say?

Most generate no interest - this one did...
    That it hit 6 times more than average just means it wasn't the usual regular trash update that everyone bins immediately.

I'm going to hope you don't really know what the research world is like because you're some A level kid, or else, you've damned yourself with the spot and blight of monumental ignorance and stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    That it hit 6 times more than average just means it wasn't the usual regular trash update that everyone bins immediately.

I'm going to hope you don't really know what the research world is like because you're some A level kid, or else, you've damned yourself with the spot and blight of monumental ignorance and stupidity.
    Yeah, I am 'some A level kid' and I don't know the research world. I never claimed to. I simply couldn't make sense of your post, and whether or not you were criticising the whole thing or not.

No need to be such an ******* to be over a simple innocent question.

(Original post by Shayke)
    Yeah, I am 'some A level kid' and I don't know the research world. I never claimed to. I simply couldn't make sense of your post, and whether or not you were criticising the whole thing or not.

No need to be such an ******* to be over a simple innocent question.
    If you don't understand, say 'I don't understand'.

If you want to pretend you know more than you do, prepare for a beatdown.

Welcome to our very honest, no nonsense world where miscommunication or a lack of clarity costs time and money.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't understand, say 'I don't understand'.

If you want to pretend you know more than you do, prepare for a beatdown.

Welcome to our very honest, no nonsense world where miscommunication or a lack of clarity costs time and money.
    I didn't understand your post. Was just seeking clarity.

Do you think the note was a good thing or bad?

You seemed to think it was good, then criticise it, then like the idea again.

And I'm not trying to pretend more than I know. Jesus.

I've written what I think. It is that easy. You are being that slow on the uptake. Go look at the bean counting forum or something. Seems to suit you more.

ReputationRep:
    I've written what I think. It is that easy. You are being that slow on the uptake. Go look at the bean counting forum or something. Seems to suit you more.
    lol, whats so hard about being a nice guy?

Just asked a question. Maybe you didn't hear it with your head being so far up your own ass.

Nice chat.

Long long long ago... I made and have been vindicated time and again with the decision, that being nice to idiots, doesn't make them learn. And given the hundreds of idiots that pour onto here, and the few I manage to beat out of it, it has been worthwhile.

Free lessons, information and more from someone like me, is gold to aspirationals like you.

ReputationRep:
    Long long long ago... I made and have been vindicated time and again with the decision, that being nice to idiots, doesn't make them learn. And given the hundreds of idiots that pour onto here, and the few I manage to beat out of it, it has been worthwhile.

Free lessons, information and more from someone like me, is gold to aspirationals like you.
    I'm not an idiot.

I may not be able to convey myself incredibly well through the medium of TSR, but I'm not an idiot.

Did you never ask questions when you were younger?

ReputationRep:
    His Mum was walking the Dog when the Dog became friends with an Analyst from MS. They go talking about how she was trying to get his son some Work experience and that is how he got it.

The way the article is written (i.e written by mathew aged 15 and 7 months) and the way the papers are talking about it is as if kids his age are retards.

This generated interest because it is something that is different, not because it is the best peice of work, and as always the papers need something to write on and have made it out as if he is prodigy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    His Mum was walking the Dog when the Dog became friends with an Analyst from MS. They go talking about how she was trying to get his son some Work experience and that is how he got it.
    hehe, it's an easy life for some!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.