The Student Room Group

Why is it OK for us to live in luxury while people are DYING from poverty?

Everyday I'm wracked with guilt. Since when was it acceptable for us to spend money on things we don't actually need, rather than helping people who are dying because of poverty?

Is this not the ultimate humanitarian crime?

People speak of the horrors of war and the Holocaust. But look at ourselves today. We sit back while people are dying in agony. We are evil, evil people. We should do absolutely everything in our power to help these people.

Poverty will be viewed in the same moral outrage as slavery and genocides gone by.

When I discovered the poverty that exists in our would, it was then I lost faith in humanity.

Scroll to see replies

It’s a fair question to ask, but the answer depends on another question, namely: why are some people in poverty whilst others bathe in luxury?
Reply 2
Slavery and genocide are acts of evil which were deliberately committed by humans. Capitalism, colonialism and war has left the world the way it is.

So much of the world has been neglected. We could spend all day arguing about how evil it is and who caused poverty but it's down to Earth to fix it. This is happening.
Reply 3
Governments in poor countries are ***** for a start. Corrupt I think is the word?

Disposable income has only been about for the past century, maybe just a few decades for some. Poverty is everywhere though. Homeless people on the streets (whether they're addicts or not) haven't got the same human rights as prisoners do. There's children in the UK who are probably struck by poverty, whose parents aren't well enough to look after them, who can't read or write...

You'd end up pretty depressed if you thought about it too much. There are people who volunteer here, who annoy the hell out of you on the streets asking you to donate money, when maybe a lot of the people today struggle to make ends meet? Lifestyles differ. This post is awfully constructed, because the issue is just too large, there are too many factors to consider, so I'll be quiet.
People's suffering isn't necessarily immoral.
Coercing the wealthy to help those in poverty would be far more despicable.
The countries that are in need of help are never going to get any better if all of the more intelligent people such as doctors etc... keep coming to "better" countries like the UK. They need to build up their own society and stop running away from it, but I don't blame them because I'd probably do the same thing if I was in their shoes!
Reply 6
instead of paying £15 a month for broadband why dont you stop doing that and give it to the third world?

that would be good for everyone, one less _____ off the internet, more food for the hungry. we are all winners :adore:
Reply 7
You've only just realized this? As little as people like to admit it, moi always comes first. This is why governments put so little effort into stopping poverty abroad. The vast majority of people don't give a damn, and those that pretend that they do, wouldn't really want to lose what they have if thats what it took.
Reply 8
Why are you avoiding the question? I'm asking why you yourself feel your lifestyle is justified.

Stop going off topic.
Tzar_Chasm
Why are you avoiding the question? I'm asking why you yourself feel your lifestyle is justified.

Stop going off topic.

Not meaning to come across as an a**, but after putting all this effort into this thread, are you going to do anything about it?
Reply 10
A mixture of incredible exploitation by the West over the course of History, and problems stemming from that exploitation (corrupt Governments, insufficient institutions, lack of infrastructure). Also, the massive problems stemming from geography - being landlocked, being in a tropical climate, having aggressive neighbours - and finally problems of disease, most notably HIV/AIDS.

However, remember that this is not a zero sum game. Us becoming poorer does not mean that the poorer countries will get richer. Indeed, if anything, our prosperity could very well drive growth in the poorer states.

Such is the cruelty of life.
All creatures are selfish, that includes humans. It takes an extra effort to go out the way and help those who are impoverished and most people cannot be bothered. It's one of those "What if..." questions which are effectively pointless because equality across the world is just completely unrealistic. Maybe in another 1000 years time things will be different. Maybe.
It would take a massive global event to change our current western lifestyles of greed and excess. It took two world wars before women starting being treated more equally in the western world.
Well why dont you help them people because you can.
Personally I dont want to give money to 3rd world countries, i prefer great almond street hospital.
Reply 13
It's not ok, it's just how things are i'm afraid. Just appreciate everything you have.
frankly, i just don't care. sure i'll think about all the children in africa sulkly looking into the oxfam camera but 2 minutes later i will have forgotten. we are a selfish species indeed.
Reply 15
Tzar_Chasm

Stop going off topic.

Well you justify why my lifestyle is not justified then we can continue this pointless discussion which basically amounts to... Who gives a **** about people abroad when your own area/city/region/country is not a utopia, when said place is a utopia I might think about other people in foreign countries that don't effect me, but until then .. meh ... is my opinion on them.
Reply 16
I feel my lifestyle is justified because, honestly, I just don't care that much. At the moment, the main thing to do is to enjoy myself and maximise my lifestyle.

And we cannot blindly blame this on capitalism. Capitalism can help and spread wealth; if entrepreneurs are given the change to expand into these markets, maybe things would be different. Also, just giving charity does not always help those in need.
Dr Zeuss™
frankly, i just don't care. sure i'll think about all the children in africa sulkly looking into the oxfam camera but 2 minutes later i will have forgotten. we are a selfish species indeed.

This really, it hardly crosses my mind at all that other people live in desperate poverty around the world.
Oh for god sake another damn peace junkie thread. I will tell you why its fair to live lives of luxury because for one despite what you might think most of our lives are not lives of luxury compared to the top elite of the country and another reason is alot of us have worked for this and you only live once so why should we dumb ourselves down to the bare necessary things just to help some third world country I would rather enjoy my life now while I have it.
Misplaced priorities: I loved the guy as much as the next TSRian, but if people the world over could unite on more pressing issues like they did over Michael Jackson (please don't destroy me for bringing him up once again :p: ) then I'd call that progress. That's a lot of idealistic mumbo jumbo though - the world simply doesn't work like that.
Also, life is a bit of a lottery: i.e. I just happened to be born here, unlike almost all others in my family. It's sad, but you can't beat yourself up about it - rather, I try my upmost not to take it for granted

Latest

Trending

Trending