Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is it OK for us to live in luxury while people are DYING from poverty? Watch

(Original post by Tzar_Chasm)
    Everyday I'm wracked with guilt. Since when was it acceptable for us to spend money on things we don't actually need, rather than helping people who are dying because of poverty?

Is this not the ultimate humanitarian crime?

People speak of the horrors of war and the Holocaust. But look at ourselves today. We sit back while people are dying in agony. We are evil, evil people. We should do absolutely everything in our power to help these people.

Poverty will be viewed in the same moral outrage as slavery and genocides gone by.

When I discovered the poverty that exists in our would, it was then I lost faith in humanity.
    If you feel this badly about it, why don't you go over there and either live with them in those conditions or try and actually do something about it?

Get a really, really good job. Get a small house and live alone. Use no more money than you need. And every few weeks, go over with your money and build something.

ReputationRep:
    Well first of all if all westerners suddenly stopped consuming other things than the bare necessities of life the world economy would be in deep ****. I'm not denying we live in excess and our consumption driven society is quite insane at times, but making a fullstop at consumption is not going to make poverty go away - it'll only make it worse. If you really were that concerned about poverty and development of LDCs you'd know to boycott certain MNCs that exploit cheap labour, avoid environmental regulations and even use child labour.

Oh, and this..
    (Original post by tom//)
    instead of paying £15 a month for broadband why dont you stop doing that and give it to the third world?

that would be good for everyone, one less _____ off the internet, more food for the hungry. we are all winners :adore:
    I concur!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It is not my fault that other people are poor. If I choose to help them, that's nice of me. If I don't, that's understandable.

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I'm bathing in luxury here. Nice as that would be.

ReputationRep:
    Because life's a ***** and is not fair?

Something a friend of mine once said comes to mind. He'd been given a milkshake to drink only he hated milkshakes. So he binned it. He was immediately told off by someone for being, among other things, very selfish as there were people dying in poor countries. To this, he replied: "What can I do for them? What will that milkshake do for them? Do you want me to take it out of the bin and mail it to those poor dying people?" Made me think.

ReputationRep:
    We cannot help them, while there are corrupt governments. Most of the aid they recieve ends up in the pockets of those 'governing' the country. Sounds alot like socialsim to me.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people in Africa continue to have children when they know they don't have the money, food, or water to provide for them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shrep)
    Why do people in Africa continue to have children when they know they don't have the money, food, or water to provide for them?
    Because they want that at least some of their children to survive for so long that they are able to take care of their parents when they grow old. Also, lack of education.

ReputationRep:
    Its a shame, isn't it?

Making a change is so very difficult that most people believe it is impossible. And what can one little man do on his own? Even if he gives all his wealth to charity the poverty will be pretty much as bad as ever. Its like removing one drop from an ocean.

The challenge is so big we convince ourselves it is impossible. The percieved futility of our actions means we cannot truly reap the rewards of our endeavour and so we do not endeavour at all.

ReputationRep:
    I must say i'm actually quite surprised with the cold and careless attitudes of many of the posts in this thread. I'm not claiming to be holier than thou like the OP, but in all honesty; Do you really not care at all? I fully acknowledge that poverty isn't an easy problem to solve and it will take a lot of effort and willingness to change from the western world in order to make the very poor better off. But the thing that bothers me is that people on here actually say they couldn't care less about the people living in third world countries and just don't give a **** because they're so far away anyway. I bet these people don't realize that they're actually part of the problem. For example the EU subsidies for agriculture (e.g. wheat) and other forms of protectionism that hamper development in LDCs..not to mention the WTO..

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o03awtSlbkY

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who does not give two ***** if people live in poverty? Am I the only one lucky enough not to feel this guilt some people seem to have everyday? Couldn't live with that in my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keepoffthelawn)
    Because they want that at least some of their children to survive for so long that they are able to take care of their parents when they grow old. Also, lack of education.
    Also religion and overpopulation.

ReputationRep:
    There will always be poverty and tbh compared to other people, the rich ect the way i live is pretty standard. However, I can see where your coming from but without the cooperation of governments there's not really much anyone can do even though people try. My opinion anywho.

ReputationRep:
    I give money to charity when appropriate, but it doesnt cross my mind everyday. for the sole reason that it is so distant and in the news and media it is hardly rported on. All they care about is if MJ has died. I mean because of that people completly forgot about veterans day. =/

ReputationRep:
    How does the OP sleep at night :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It isn't really okay. People are horrible and selfish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    People's suffering isn't necessarily immoral.
    Coercing the wealthy to help those in poverty would be far more despicable.
    I think in this case, the ends actually justify the means.

ReputationRep:
    Sell your computer and send the money to these people then.

Don't preach to us if you're not willing to give up your lifestyle/money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    It isn't really okay. People are horrible and selfish.
    Are you horrible and selfish?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.