Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to do Law at university, and am currently studying A2 English literature, history and biology. I dropped the fourth a few weeks after AS.

Biology has nothing to do with Law, and at a university open day they told us that if a subject is totally unrelated to the subject you want to do, they won't care as much if you do badly in it compared to the subjects that have something to do with the subject you're applying for.

The uni I want to go to asks for ABB OR 320 points for Law. If I get AAC, or AAD, the C/D being in Biology, will the uni care THAT much about the Biology grade?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by kiss__this_x)
    I want to do Law at university, and am currently studying A2 English literature, history and biology. I dropped the fourth a few weeks after AS.

Biology has nothing to do with Law, and at a university open day they told us that if a subject is totally unrelated to the subject you want to do, they won't care as much if you do badly in it compared to the subjects that have something to do with the subject you're applying for.

The uni I want to go to asks for ABB OR 320 points for Law. If I get AAC, or AAD, the C/D being in Biology, will the uni care THAT much about the Biology grade?
    They shouldn't.
    They usually specify which one of the subjects they want the low grade in, and it should be the one with the least relevance.

ReputationRep:
    They might not care in general, but Law is a very competative subject at most institutes.
    They may not find it relevant that you had a D in Biology for example, but if they have 150 other applicants with AAA-AAB-ABB etc it might come down to a 'who are they more likely to choose?' situation.

As long as you actually meet the terms of the offer though, (ie if its a points based offer) then it wont matter either way

ReputationRep:
    At AS bad marks don't always matter (I got a C in AS music and got into Oxford to do biochemistry)
    At A2 it's probably more important, it depends though whether it's a points based or grades based offer. Law is a very competitive course remember

ReputationRep:
    I also got a C in AS music and got an offer from Cambridge (while also only having a B at full A level maths) so it is possible that universities may not bother too much about an unrelated subject. However, as said above law is competitive so they may want the grades regardless of what subject it's in.

ReputationRep:
    If the university gives you an offer of ABB or 320 UCAS points, then yes, if you got AAC they would have to accept you as you'd met the 320 points required. If you got AAD however, you would not have got the required points and they wouldn't have to take you - some universites instantly reject candidates who fail to make the grades regardless of how close you are to it, and no one can tell you whether they would or not. If the offer was ABB without any UCAS points attached, then again AAC or AAD would not be meeting the offer. It doesn't matter that biology has nothing to do with law, if they want 3 A2 grades then you need to give them 3 A2 grades or risk your place.

If you're wanting to apply to somewhere with ABB asking offers then you need to ensure that you are predicted at least a B in Biology and then do your uttermost to ensure you achieve a B should you be given an offer. However, you don't know how your AS grades will turn out yet so you might be pleasantly surprised.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.