Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Italian or Arabic-urgen descision please help! watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok! Which subject is better to learn:

Arabic or Italian?

Im trying to choose my subjects for durham combined honours
    Arabic takes up two modules and is obv very useful in todays climate, espesh s Id like to have a career in maybe diplomacy or something similar or journalism...

how easy is Arabic to learn for example? Im not expecting it to be easy but would I just fail immediately? It also takes up 2 whole modules

Italian on the other hand I think I would find really easy... im in italy at the moment for a month and have picked it up really quickly becasue I also speak french and have done latin. I woudl also be able to do another module called Italy and the arts which focuses on itlain art and architecture and looks really interestnig. The only problem is the career opportunities it offers...its not as 'special' as arabic, more people can speak it and it is only in one country, whereas arabic is spoken in like 23.

PLease give me advice!!

ReputationRep:
    it mentions nothing about Italian in your sig. Maybe go with your gut and do Arabic?

ReputationRep:
    Both Italians and Arabs speak with their hands anyway.
    Only difference is = Arabs use slapping, kicking, pinching etc. :mmm:

Seriously though, I would pick Italian.
    I speak Arabic and to be honest, have never needed it except for when listening to girls talk **** about me and understanding when my my mom's yelling.

ReputationRep:
    Arabic is hard. Very hard. But it's a fascinating language and culture, and you may find you take to it easily.

Why not take a look at the course books you'll be using beforehand, and see what you think of them? At St Andrews we use Alif Baa and Al Kitaab, but yours may be different.

ReputationRep:
    I think in the long run Arabic is better + more useful.

ReputationRep:
    go for Arabic
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ellie_flower)

Arabic or Italian?

Arabic takes up two modules and is obv very useful in todays climate, espesh s Id like to have a career in maybe diplomacy or something similar or journalism...

how easy is Arabic to learn for example? Im not expecting it to be easy but would I just fail immediately? It also takes up 2 whole modules

Italian on the other hand I think I would find really easy... im in italy at the moment for a month and have picked it up really quickly becasue I also speak french and have done latin. I woudl also be able to do another module called Italy and the arts which focuses on itlain art and architecture and looks really interestnig. The only problem is the career opportunities it offers...its not as 'special' as arabic, more people can speak it and it is only in one country, whereas arabic is spoken in like 23.

PLease give me advice!!
    You have to remember, there are many dialects of Arabic, some easier than others. Classicial Arabic is very hard to learn, and depending where you're from, the pronunciation is also rather difficult. Italian is MUCH easier.

ReputationRep:
    ok while there are obviously loads of benefits of arabic, you're not going to learn enough in 2 modules (as it's very complex and hard and many people aren't fluent after a whole degree - plus there's the whole MSA/dialects thing) for it to be worth it. So I'd say go for Italian which is a relatively simple language to learn and you should come out of it with some conversational skills. Plus, Italy's history is fascinating.

ReputationRep:
    Italian! Beautiful language, can't wait to start a degree in it

ReputationRep:
    Arabic is the worst subject ever
    Dont learn it
    Ive been trying since ages and i still dont know a single word
    DONT LEARN ARABIC, WORST LINGO EVER

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mist786)
    Dont learn it
    Ahhh but you see , some people pick it up better than others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie_flower)

Arabic or Italian?

PLease give me advice!!
    I couldnt tell you if Arabics a hard language to learn because you know I grew up speaking it .... But like you said 'Arabic takes up two modules and is obv very useful in todays climate, espesh s Id like to have a career in maybe diplomacy or something similar or journalism' I think that's a very good reason but on the other hand i myself would absolutley love to learn Italian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vintage <3)
    Ahhh but you see , some people pick it up better than others
    Yeah thats true but even if I tried I wouldnt learn it

ReputationRep:
    Go for Arabic .

ReputationRep:
    Dont learn it
    It's funny I am actually saying this because I'm more into science, but learning arabic language in particular requires a person who enjoys a "good" degree of intellegence .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FZka)
    It's funny I am actually saying this because I'm more into science, but learning arabic language in particualr requires a person who enjoys a "good" degree of intellegence .
    hahahhahhahah
    no comment

ReputationRep:
    Arabic is a cool language, studied it for few years.
    Unless you want to join MI5 or MI6 stick to Italian.

ReputationRep:
    Having spent a year each in Jeddah and Cairo, I can't begin to tell you how difficult a language it is to pick up. Suprisingly, learning to read was simple enough but after two years I couldn't go beyond basic broken arabic. I dunno really, maybe I'm just a little slow :p:

ReputationRep:
    hahahhahhahah
    no comment
    Mmmm... Can you please help me in searching for that hilarious part ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FZka)
    Mmmm... Can you please help me in searching for that hilarious part ??
    there is no hilarious part

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 25, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.