(Original post by FZka)
    No wonder you are facing trouble learning it then :p:
    nvm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mist786)
    nvm
    Take it easy :p:

ReputationRep:
    meme si l'italien semble etre plus amusant que l'arabe, l'arabe est plus populaire et utile...surtout quand il y a tant de personnes en europe qui parle l'arabe de nos jours...! C'est plus difficile mais c'est vraiment vaut la peine

(j'adore parler francais :O :O :O )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FZka)
    Take it easy :p:
    now ur just having a laugh :yes:

ReputationRep:
    now ur just having a laugh :yes:
    If you say so :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FZka)
    If you say so :p:
    hahahhahahahahahhahahah :p:

ReputationRep:
    arabic is more useful but italian is surely easier. Shame that I can't speak arabic even though my father is from Syria :P (italian is my mother tongue)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malak7)
    arabic is more useful but italian is surely easier. Shame that I can't speak arabic even though my father is from Syria :P (italian is my mother tongue)
    Intreasting

ReputationRep:
    Go 4 arabic..its smth different. Plus, it will be more useful than italian. Yeah, its tough bt its worth it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie_flower)
    Ok! Which subject is better to learn:

Arabic or Italian?

Im trying to choose my subjects for durham combined honours
    Arabic takes up two modules and is obv very useful in todays climate, espesh s Id like to have a career in maybe diplomacy or something similar or journalism...

how easy is Arabic to learn for example? Im not expecting it to be easy but would I just fail immediately? It also takes up 2 whole modules

Italian on the other hand I think I would find really easy... im in italy at the moment for a month and have picked it up really quickly becasue I also speak french and have done latin. I woudl also be able to do another module called Italy and the arts which focuses on itlain art and architecture and looks really interestnig. The only problem is the career opportunities it offers...its not as 'special' as arabic, more people can speak it and it is only in one country, whereas arabic is spoken in like 23.

PLease give me advice!!
    Probably better to go for Arabic?

Italian is spoken in fewer countries than Arabic.

It depends how fluent you want to be. If you want to be able to pick up on eloquence, and poetry then it can take years like 4+. If you just want to be able to speak it then slang is easy enough to pick up after a year or so I suppose, but seeing as you are intending to go into writing it/journalism then you would require a greater knowledge than merely speaking it.

It also depends how well you can articulate letters/sounds which a lot of English people cannot mimic even after years (it is harder the older you are). Some sounds are rather hard to pronounce even for Arabs. For example there are two 's' sounds. One which is said with the tongues sides touching the sides of the teeth, and one 's' like the normal 's' in English. If you cannot say the two properly then it can be hard sometimes to distinguish. An example could be 'aSeer - This means juice. 'aseer means hard/difficult.

But once you start learning it becomes easier and things generally follow principles, unlike English. Dreamt or dreamed?

ReputationRep:
    Intreasting
    what?:p:

anyway Italian is spoken in a some more countries other than Italy, just not as the main language! ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_language )

ReputationRep:
    what?:p:

anyway Italian is spoken in a some more countries other than Italy, just not as the main language! ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_language )
    I know
    I'd rather speak italian than arabic

ReputationRep:
    I know
    I'd rather speak italian than arabic
    Italian is nicer
    Anyway it sounds silly when people hear my name and they speak to me in arabic and I can't understand anything lol, that's one of the reasons I'd like to learn arabic. I was born in Italy, my mother's italian and I'm currently living just with her but I feel arabic is part of my heritage as well.
    Before starting to learn arabic I should improve with my english

ReputationRep:
    Italian is nicer
    Anyway it sounds silly when people hear my name and they speak to me in arabic and I can't understand anything lol, that's one of the reasons I'd like to learn arabic. I was born in Italy, my mother's italian and I'm currently living just with her but I feel arabic is part of my heritage as well.
    Before starting to learn arabic I should improve with my english
    I have an arabian name but i have no idea how to speak the language but my english is great cuz i'm half british

ReputationRep:
    we are similar then, except for the fact that you're half british and I'm half italian (and my father is half Syrian half Turkish :p:)
    I'm off to bed now, good night!
    (And sorry for the off topic, OP)

ReputationRep:
    we are similar then, except for the fact that you're half british and I'm half italian (and my father is half Syrian half Turkish :p:)
    I'm off to bed now, good night!
    (And sorry for the off topic, OP)

hahahahha good night

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.