Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Im a 23 year old male and every so often I get really paranoid that I'm going bald. I've been thinking it on and off since I was about 16 / 17. Im not really sure if my hair has really changed much in that time though, I've always had quite a large forehead and my hair at the front is sort of in a 'V shape'.

But it seems like my temples seem quite exposed, more so on the left side. It isn't really noticeable normally, but if I pull my hair back that's when it makes me think I may be losing my hair. The thing is, I think my hair might have just always been this way, I've seen photos of when I was just a kid and it even looks as though the front of my hair was pretty much the same. It's hard to properly tell for sure though as I can't go back in time.

I'm not sure how genetics plays a part in it, but one of my brothers started losing his hair when he was about 17 (he's nearly 30 now), and my other brother who is in his early thirties hasn't really been that affected by it (maybe slightly), most of my dads hair has gone aswell, but his dad never showed any signs of baldness. I don't think that's enough to go by though, does anyone else find them in a similar situation? I don't mind my hair the way it is but I hate the thought of it getting worse!

ReputationRep:
    As a girl, it's something I'll never understand, but I do feel for fellas who bald in their late teens, early twenties. I think the best solution for balding is to shave the rest of your hair off. It doesn't make guys any less attractive, it makes the receding hairline less noticable, and it even suits a lot of fellas (or so I think, all personal taste of course). That might give you more peace of mind instead of looking at photographs of yourself over the years and getting really anxious about it. I bet a lot of your friends and family haven't noticed too much. Most of my male friends (and bf) even compare their receding hairlines! If you can laugh about the situation (and it's going to happen to most fellas at some point in their lives) it'll help.

I have a mate in the same situation and it causes him great distress. To be honest, I can't see the problem. He has his cut long-ish and looks pretty awesome, but no matter how much I tell him, it seems to make no difference to his self esteem.

If you can laugh about it great, but a lot of people can't. If you're hair has been similar since you were 17, then I am sure you are fine. Some people just have different sized foreheads, doesn't mean you are going bald.

Plus, baldness and greyness happens to most of the world, you can't get hung up on things like this. It is like being worried about dying (sort of)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Im a 23 year old male and every so often I get really paranoid that I'm going bald. I've been thinking it on and off since I was about 16 / 17. Im not really sure if my hair has really changed much in that time though, I've always had quite a large forehead and my hair at the front is sort of in a 'V shape'.
    My hairline has receeded too, much more heavily on my right side then the other. Like you I am 23, so it might just be an age thing?
    Nevertheless, it is not that bad and my parents think that I am crazy. Many of my friends haven't picked up on it, but like you I am worried that it will progressively get worse and worse to the point that my hair ends up looking like Jude Laws!!!...and that is the problem.

Do not buzz your hair unless it is very badly receeded/or suits you. On the bright side, you could simply have a mature hairline; to put your mind at rest, google "Michael Owen" and check out his hairline, you will see that his hairline is very asymetric and V shaped (his right temple is sharper then his left temple, and yet despite having a V shaped hairline in his early twenties, it hasn't changed much since his Liverpool days. Carlos Tevez is another footballer with an asymetrical hairline. Many men have it! Next time you go out shopping or whatever, you will notice that most guys have some recession around their temples etc.)

Now, ways to combat it if you do think that you have MPB:

Right a few things first, hairloss or male pattern baldness is caused by DHT which is a byproduct of male testostrione. DHT attacks the hair follcles in the scalp which prematurely causes it to fall out. This leads to baldness.

It is thus widely believed that if you inhibit your natural production of DHT you can slow or prevent further baldness. Incidently, unsurprisingly men that have been castrated do not go bald, but I guess you do not want to go to such extreme lengths to preserve your hair, now do you.

There are prescription drugs out there that inhibits your DHT levels; "Propecia" or "Proscar" is the drug that many balding guys use in order to inhibit it. For regrowth, they also use in combination with propecia, minoxidil (or rogaine) and then a shampoo called Nizorol. Google the "Big 3"; propecia maintains, minoxidil regrows and nizorol has an ingredient called "ketoconazole" which when applied topically lowers DHT on the scalp -- by penetrating the hair follicles on your scalp; it also fights irritation on the scalp. Propecia/proscar has been known to have side effects, in some cases it has speeded up the balding process, and in other cases people have complained about having "brain fog", developed moobs, or becoming impotent. Saying that for many it does work.

With the above in mind, before playing around with your hormone levels, personally I would strongly suggest monitoring your hairline first by using a web cam. Take a few photos of it after every 6 months, and if you see very little recession or no change at all you probably have nothing to worry about. Also, if you have lost a bit of hair it is probably time to take care of your hair. That means invest in a good shampoo - I am currently using revita, and my shredding has decreased to the point that I see very little hair on my pillow in the morning; zero to be precise, and hair products such as wax/gel should be avoided as they clog up your hair follicles. If you must use a hair product, use an organic hair product, one that has aloe vera in it.

Secondly, a good diet is a must. One cause of hairloss is due to a poor diet and a lack of nutrients reaching the hair follicles. So make sure you get your vitamins in.

With the above in mind, hopefully by doing the above, if you are destined to go bald, you can AT LEAST slow down the process rather than aggrevating it. If you wan't to go down the propecia route make sure you consult your GP before doing so, but beware once you start taking the drug you have to be on it for life, otherwise any hair you have grown will just fall out eventually.

ReputationRep:
    brutha you got it hard, chicks won't dig you when you're bold, they'll WIG you. im one funny *******. but brother dont despair, because you dont have hair, because people dont care, but its good of you to share.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeee)
    brutha you got it hard, chicks won't dig you when you're bold, they'll WIG you. im one funny *******. but brother dont despair, because you dont have hair, because people dont care, but its good of you to share.
    Not being funny, but your hairline is receeding around the temples mate by your profile pic...happens to most guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    Not being funny, buy you're hairline is receeding around the temples mate by your profile pic...happens to most guys.
    my hair is perfect, no receeding malarkey going on mr fat hobbit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

But it seems like my temples seem quite exposed, more so on the left side. It isn't really noticeable normally, but if I pull my hair back that's when it makes me think I may be losing my hair. The thing is, I think my hair might have just always been this way, I've seen photos of when I was just a kid and it even looks as though the front of my hair was pretty much the same. It's hard to properly tell for sure though as I can't go back in time.

I'm not sure how genetics plays a part in it, but one of my brothers started losing his hair when he was about 17 (he's nearly 30 now), and my other brother who is in his early thirties hasn't really been that affected by it (maybe slightly), most of my dads hair has gone aswell, but his dad never showed any signs of baldness. I don't think that's enough to go by though, does anyone else find them in a similar situation? I don't mind my hair the way it is but I hate the thought of it getting worse!
    100% me. I keep comparing myself to other guys, for reassurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    Not being funny, buy you're hairline is receeding around the temples mate by your profile pic...happens to most guys.
    Lol :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Shave it off?
    my bf has a bit of a receeding hairline, and so shaves his head....looks hot

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.