Turn on thread page Beta

Is it wrong to be racist? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Last elections i didnt vote but if i did it would have been BNP, since then ive been called racist, i accept somethings i think, sometimes discuss with mates could be interpreted as racism. but am i wrong?

what do you think?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Its not generally socially acceptable in current society no.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion if its considered racist just ignore it everybody is racist or predjeduce in some way like I think all chavs should be shot and political correctness would show thats wrong but it dosen't bother me, most people are carebears these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asian-Oly)
    Last elections i didnt vote but if i did it would have been BNP, since then ive been called racist, i accept somethings i think, sometimes discuss with mates could be interpreted as racism. but am i wrong?

what do you think?
    You dislike people simply because of genetics...is that wrong? I think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion if its considered racist just ignore it everybody is racist or predjeduce in some way like I think all chavs should be shot and political correctness would show thats wrong but it dosen't bother me, most people are carebears these days.
    You think it is purely political correctness preventing the mass-murder of "chavs"? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Asian refers to my half of my body that is chinese, ihave no problem with the chinese as they are not extremists and dont continually suicidally bomb innocent members of the public.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you don't seem to understand why you think BNP are good, your just voting for them.

ReputationRep:
    'Racist' is an overused, misapplied term. The only reason it's so effective in curdling freedom of speech is due to the immense emotional baggage attached to it.

I simply treat it as any other term within a person's verbal ammunition who lacks the capacity provide a credible counter-argument.

ReputationRep:
    Whats wrong with being racist? Everyone is to some degree, just some people are more open about it. You guys are all hypocrites.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I got here so soon. Can we agree what the **** racism actually means in this sense, OP?

Because there are very reasonable ways to interpret the term that would mean *everyone* is racist, and equally there are very reasonable ways to interpret it that reserve the word for a minority of "active" racist people (e.g. those involved in racially-motivated violence and such)

ReputationRep:
    Asian refers to my half of my body that is chinese, ihave no problem with the chinese as they are not extremists and dont continually suicidally bomb innocent members of the public.
    Continually?

ReputationRep:
    I think you can be racist. It's called having an opinion.
    The thing is...voicing your opinion to other "less-tolerant" people is completely different.

EDIT: just like the person who negged me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donnahh)
    Whats wrong with being racist? Everyone is to some degree, just some people are more open about it. You guys are all hypocrites.
    There is differnt and more subtle elements of racism, such as you can be racist to germans etc but you wouldnt think of that as being racist straight away. I dont think everyone is racist but there a certainly varying forms of it thoriughout society.

ReputationRep:
    i woud have voted BNP for there policy to immideatly ban all imergrants

ReputationRep:
    No its not wrong to be racist - its a natural instinct to discriminate. We discriminate by every which way possible; skin colour, hair, earnings, age, sex, type of clothes you wear, shape of nose, tone of voice etc etc.
    However, as humans we overcome those instincts - its one of the things that seperates us from other animals.
    In my eyes, a racist is a lowly piece of sub-human scum that deserves to be put in a cage and treated like an animal.
    If someone is racist towards me, I don't feel offended, I just realise how far below me they are.

edit: sp

ReputationRep:
    A slight generalisation there I think? Not all Asians who aren't Chinese are extremeists and suicidally bomb innocent members of the public. I have Indian, Pakistani, Syrian, Libyan friends who find acts of terrorism such as 9/11 abhorrent. This is the problem with racism - it is wrong because it is founded totally on unproved prejudices. That's all it is, prejudice. So one intelligent person on this thread said that in today's society it is wrong. I shall take it one step further. To anyone with more than 3 braincells and the ability to see past unfounded prejudices yes, it is wrong to be racist.

ReputationRep:
    More than likely, the people that say it is not acceptable are liberal minded.. yet declaring it unacceptable to vote BNP... is not liberal?

Racism is considered Fascist, yet isn't it fascist to call somebody racist?

More on topic: The BNP have some very good policies. It's just their racist ones that give them bad press. I think their immigration policies and EU withdrawal plans(?) could be quite beneficial to the country.

ReputationRep:
    Nooo you're not wrong at all!
    I would have voted BNP, doesn't mean I'm racist. People don't seem to look at the other things they're offering too. For example how they are going to allow the pensioners (who were born and live here and have worked very hard throughout their life in Britain ) access to the NHS System and council housing first instead of the immigrants who just come over and seem to get anything nice that's going even though some poor old dear has been waiting 2 years in a waiting list!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    There is differnt and more subtle elements of racism, such as you can be racist to germans etc but you wouldnt think of that as being racist straight away. I dont think everyone is racist but there a certainly varying forms of it thoriughout society.
    Agreed, but people use the term 'racism' too freely nowadays. I think, generally, that people just associate 'racism' to colour, when infact its nationality and culture etc. too!

ReputationRep:
    i woud have voted BNP for there policy to immideatly ban all imergrants
    Unless you have dyslexia, are blind or have a ****** up keyboard, I really don't see why you fail to spell like decent person. :facepalm:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.