Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    I see religion as part of racism because the race in question can be identified and attacked for thier personal beliefs.

That does not make any sense.

Lets say i hated French people and wanted to make it known. I wouldnt attack a catholic church which is the predominant Religion associated with the French, because then i wouldnt be discriminating against French people I would be discriminating against a Global network of Catholics that includes hundreds of different races.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatP!E)
    well don't the BNP believe in shipping other ethnic minorities out of England because it is not their country? If im mistaken, im sorry, but from that point it seems as if by you wanting to vote for BNP, it shows that you support this - and yes i would consider it offensive to other races and therefore racist.
    It doesn't. It supports the voluntary resettlement of minorities; basically offer them money to leave...something the Spanish and Japanese governments are doing at present. As for white minorities Griffin and his ilk don't care, they are fine with them staying, they would just tighten up immigration from Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iffi)
    racism isnt a disorder or something- one that you're born with, lol. its just a prejudice we all pick up from the influences around us? e.g. frinds, family, news/media- all these things influence us in many ways and could be biased. if the word racist didnt exist, who knows how humans would treat each other? for starters, we would probably stop using the excuse that our enemies are 'racist' towards us? like som many others have said, racism is a form of prejudice and the only way to stop prejudice is by stopping the media from 'brain washing' these ideas.. and just to keep an open mind... never judge a book by it's cover..
    I would actually challenge that racism IS a disorder. Back to science again, we evolved morals and ethics that help us to survive. The capacity to be racist has also evolved but I'm sure if evolution wasn't mindless then it would not have made the brain with the capacity to be prejudice possible, as it decreases the population (KKK & Hitler are obvious examples). Therefore it does seem that the evolution of the ability to be racist is actually unwanted by and against nature, like cancer is unwanted. Therefore I conclude that you shouldn't dismiss the fact is a malfunction in nature and therefore COULD be a disorder.

ReputationRep:
    No. Pretty much everyone is racist they just don't show it due to social pressures and what they think is expected of them by others.

I wouldn't vote BNP though, bunch of idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    That does not make any sense.

Lets say i hated French people and wanted to make it known. I wouldnt attack a catholic church which is the predominant Religion associated with the French, because then i wouldnt be discriminating against French people I would be discriminating against a Global network of Catholics that includes hundreds of different races.
    Yes that does make sense, you wouldnt attack catholics becuase there are to many of them.

You would attack an a minority because there someone you can vent your discontent on.

Religion is a way to attack them becuase it's so visible -it is used as it is one of the tools to show that you dont like them

for example : there goes that zealot what gives him the right to preach in my country ? I no man they preach there garbage all day trying to corrupt us pure Brits. They steel our jobs as well the zealous gits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    No. Pretty much everyone is racist they just don't show it due to social pressures and what they think is expected of them by others.

But that can work both ways. People can be racist purely because of social pressures and what they think is expected of them by others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)

I wouldn't vote BNP though, bunch of idiots.
    Disagreed. We all have the potential to be racist, a little like gravitational potential when we stand up with a floor beneath us. However we are not ALL racist, because a lot of us keep that barrier, or floor, between potentiality and reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5W909)
    I would actually challenge that racism IS a disorder. Back to science again, we evolved morals and ethics that help us to survive. The capacity to be racist has also evolved but I'm sure if evolution wasn't mindless then it would not have made the brain with the capacity to be prejudice possible, as it decreases the population (KKK & Hitler are obvious examples). Therefore it does seem that the evolution of the ability to be racist is actually unwanted by and against nature, like cancer is unwanted. Therefore I conclude that you shouldn't dismiss the fact is a malfunction in nature and therefore COULD be a disorder.
    ok, you could say it's a disorder. But, to avoid the arguments of people who seem to find racism acceptable, i just said it wasn't :confused: :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.white.rabbit)
    Ok i really did think that you were quite clever.....i mean you were criticising me for being a chav..........oh no sorry.....i mean typing like a chav.....

But come on seriously......why would Aston from JLS join tsr and name himself the.white.rabbit - seriously........

ofcourse its not him!!!

n why do you find it so hard to believe that i'm not racist......have you not come across anyone else before thats not?
    You never know. It could have been true. His name is Aston, thanks for reminding me.
    I thought Alexandra was better; did you?

Everyone to a degree is racist, whether we realise or not, have you never had thoughts or expressed something racist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    To be fair, necessarily benevolent, there's not a lot of point trying to hold a reasoned argument with you. You spout empty rhetoric, use pseudo-intelligent language to hide the fact that what you're saying is largely baseless, repeat the same propaganda that we've heard time and time again and refuse to believe that you could ever be wrong.

I kind of suspect that you just like being contrary.

Anyway, just to appease you, The Daily Mail article only says white britons in 12 cities in the UK will be the minority. So you've exaggerated the "facts" given by a notoriously right-wing paper that has probably exaggerated them already. And then we're not even taking into account the ambiguity surrounding "indigenous" Britons, and the fact that you claim the issue here is social identity and so forth, and that there are plenty of non-white Britons with exactly the same social values and beliefs as white Britons, who are not counted as indigenous in these articles.

What I'm trying to say is that A) The whole notion is ridiculous, and B) If you had half as much intelligence as you give the impression that you do through your writing style, you'd know this. Which leads me back to the beginning of this post.

Amen to the post above!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr_Dreps)
    Amen to the post above!
    Explain. It was actually nothing but an ignorant personal attack which did little to refute any of my points; instead just dismissing them as 'baseless' because he doesn't want to accept anything that conflicts with what he wants to believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    Yes that does make sense, you wouldnt attack catholics becuase there are to many of them.

[B]You would attack an a minority because there someone you can vent your discontent on.
    Just like any minority. If i was homophobic and decided to attack a gay man who happened to be black, it would not be racist would it?

for example : there goes that zealot what gives him the right to preach in my country ? I no man they preach there garbage all day trying to corrupt us pure Brits. They steel our jobs as well the zealous gits

That would not make them racist though. for example.

Two muslim Omani men are discussing an Omani Christian.

"There goes that infidel, what gives him the right to preach in our country?"
    "I know man, they preach their garbage all day trying to corrupt us pure Omani's. They steal our jobs aswell the infidel *******s".

The characters in the example you gave were discriminating against a man for his religion not his race. Just like the characters in my example.

Now , if they had said:

"There goes that smelly indian guy, what gives him the right to come over here trying to corrupt us pure brits" etc etc....

Racism is discriminating against somebodys race. Not their religion.

I see what you mean about using Religion as a tool. But it is no different than using the persons music tastes as a tool.

But discriminating against the music itself does not make you racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    As for white minorities Griffin and his ilk don't care, they are fine with them staying, they would just tighten up immigration from Europe.
    Non-ethnically British people are all open to make use of the voluntary repatriation policy- white and non-white.

Not tightened up, but stopped. All immigration would be stopped regardless of where it is from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)

Everyone to a degree is racist, whether we realise or not, have you never had thoughts or expressed something racist?

If you are going to make an outrageous claim like that then you have to back it up with factual evidence.

You cannot justify it purely on the fact that everybody you know is a little bit racist. That is absurd.

ReputationRep:
    No-one can claim "everyone's a little bit racist" anyway, because no-one ******* knows what 'racism' actually means. It's one of the most ambiguous terms in the dictionary. I just tend to dismiss the word as a vitriolic, narrow-minded weapon which people use to put others down when they want to adopt a moral high ground/don't want to talk sensibly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Just like any minority. If i was homophobic and decided to attack a gay man who happened to be black, it would not be racist would it?

That would not make them racist though. for example.

Two muslim Omani men are discussing an Omani Christian.

"There goes that infidel, what gives him the right to preach in our country?"
    "I know man, they preach their garbage all day trying to corrupt us pure Omani's. They steal our jobs aswell the infidel *******s".

The characters in the example you gave were discriminating against a man for his religion not his race. Just like the characters in my example.

Now , if they had said:

"There goes that smelly indian guy, what gives him the right to come over here trying to corrupt us pure brits" etc etc....

Racism is discriminating against somebodys race. Not their religion.

I see what you mean about using Religion as a tool. But it is no different than using the persons music tastes as a tool.

But discriminating against the music itself does not make you racist.
    Its a matter of opinion, I believe that using religion as a took to terrorise is racist, you see it as discrimination- which to there is much difference between as your still being inherently hostile. Imo religon is a visible tool which makes it racist because your attacking them for your beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    Several things are worrying to me on this thread:

Firstly, the insistence by many people that claiming you are not in fact racist is 'absurd', 'ridiculous', or worst, 'hypocritical'. It is simply not true to say that everyone has a little bit of racism in them somewhere; this totally ignores the efforts of people throughout history who have fought against racism and prejudice. I have never found it intrinsically in my nature as a human being to view people from other races, classes, or social backgrounds as inferior to me; rather, I have found it to be part of my nature to be, from the earliest age I can remember, utterly replulsed by those who do hold these views. Even if what you're suggesting is true - that humans naturally hold some prejudices (and are therefore all a little racist) - this doesn't preclude people from identifying these prejudices, realising that they are morally unjustifiable, and then seeking to eliminate them from their thoughts and action. It just completely misses the point to say that such people are racists.

The second bizarre thing is many people seem to think that the fact you hold a certain view and are entitled to hold a certain view renders it justified. Ending a post with 'it's my right to ignore those PC *******' simply doesn't address the issue. It is indeed your right, but nevertheless, your view may be wrong, or immoral, or whatever.

Finally, quibbles about the definition of racism are tending to cloud the issue and sidetrack the debate. To put the precise defintion of what a 'race' is aside, I think it is fair to say that the word racism can be used to denote discrimination against/ feelings of superiority towards a group because of their race, nationality, skin colour, ethnicity or other associated concepts. Although the differences here are subtle and complex, there is no need to muddy the waters of this discussion with semantics. I accept that there is a real difference between race etc. and religion, though discrimination against the latter may be a thinly-veiled attack on the former. Discrimination against Muslims in this country, for example, provides an example of where attacking people of a certain religion is also strongly associated with the ethnicity, culture and national background of those people. When people attack Muslims, they tend not to do so because they have read the Quran and find themselves to vehemently disagree with what it says. On the contrary, they tend to attack the people of that religion, i.e. the people of a certain background, rather than the specific content of the religious teachings.

ReputationRep:
    yes
    prejudiced? no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by statics)
    Finally, quibbles about the definition of racism are tending to cloud the issue and sidetrack the debate.
    Surely in formal debate the very first step is to define terms, or else the whole exercise is utterly futile. We've seen as many different understandings of "racism" in this thread as there are replies.
    The definition of racism should have been dealt with at the start, or should at least be mentioned briefly at the start of someone's post. Us all simply saying "yes", "no" and "YOU ******* SCUMBAG!" gets us nowhere. We're all talking about different things. And, sadly, 99% of us don't really recognise that as important.
    If you look on TSR many, if not most debates, exist solely because people fail to agree what they're even talking about. For example, all the "do you like skinny girls" or "are musclez good?" kind of thread. What the **** is skinny, how muscley is muscley? It's all just ********.

You included your own definition of racism - one that is reasonable (like many others) but not the same as many other people's. It also unforutunately used another ambiguous term - "discriminate". Quite what that means, I don't really know.

By the first part of the definition - feeling superior to other races - I am not a racist. However, I do believe in general inherent differences between races, accross a range of things. That makes me a racist by other people's view. Or, I also am happy to use words like "gook" and "******". I've been told that uttering those words is what makes a person racist.
    As has been mentioned, "racism" truly is one of the most poorly defined concepts around today. Indeed it's probably the most differently-understood "issue of today". Everyone knows it's "bad".... but what actually is it?
    omg I don't know, but it's definately bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    That's because we are IN Britain, so the immigration of people into Britain is the thing that most affects us. If we were in Australia, I'm sure we could discuss the immigration of British people.

so if we stop people moving out of Britain then we won't need all the immigrants coming in and then people can stop complaining about it!!!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.