Turn on thread page Beta

Is it wrong to be racist? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Paying people to leave is hardly going to solve Britain's problems regards minorities. Who would take it anyway...who the **** would choose Pakistan over Britain?
    Depends really on whether they'd trust the government. From what I've seen, a lot of minorities would emigrate as soon as the BNP came to power (which would be a bit silly considering they could wait a while and get financial benefit for doing exactly the same thing).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloem257)
    It actually does have base in law - in the Race Relations Act I think you'll find. And the Equality and human Rights commisson are in fact applying for a legal injunction if nothing is done about it by July 20th.

"Caucasian" = white. This is mentioned in the BNP constitution itself. They employ no Black people or Asian people. So the race of the people is actually quite central to the whole thing.
    Bah, who gives a **** about those pathetic institutions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    Depends really on whether they'd trust the government. From what I've seen, a lot of minorities would emigrate as soon as the BNP came to power (which would be a bit silly considering they could wait a while and get financial benefit for doing exactly the same thing).
    Nah my fellow townsfolk in Bradford seem to rather like benefits, the NHS and whatever else. It would take a lot of persuading to make them move.

ReputationRep:
    It actually does have base in law - in the Race Relations Act I think you'll find. And the Equality and human Rights commisson are in fact applying for a legal injunction if nothing is done about it by July 20th.

"Caucasian" = white. This is mentioned in the BNP constitution itself. They employ no Black people or Asian people. So the race of the people is actually quite central to the whole thing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45CRN...eature=related

Here Griffin goes through why it has no basis in the law when relating to them.

Caucasian does indeed = white, however they employ no non-ethnically British people. It just so happens they cannot employ black and Asian people, because there are no black or asian ethnically British people. They would just as easily reject a white Spaniard or Bulgarian- race is not important in regards to their membership policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    There is differnt and more subtle elements of racism, such as you can be racist to germans etc but you wouldnt think of that as being racist straight away. I dont think everyone is racist but there a certainly varying forms of it thoriughout society.
    I didnt know germans were a race of people, just a nationality. Though i do understand that sentiment.

racism is never a good thing, i cannot understand why people would vote BNP, however it is there choice to make not mine.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how it isn't justified when there are plenty of interest groups up and down the country which only accept people of non-white ethnicity. But, of course, we forget that racism only cuts one way. :rolleyes:
    Am i trying to justify it? I don't think so. This is what I mean, so many of these arguments are based on unfounded speculations. :rolleyes:

Nationalism is an ideal that has been ever-present throughout history. It developed as a mainstream ideology post-Renaissance and took on many manifestations before Nazism corrupted it. Nationalism does not equal genocide. It got Britain through the Second World War, other forms of it inspired the ANC, Ghandi, and other anti-imperial movements. Just because the Nazis happened to have the German nation as their central priority does not mean that every believer in the nation is a Nazi. Get real. LOL.
    Then it maintained many manifestations didn't it? I'm sorry if I stated nationalism in general, I apologise for that, but the extreme nationalism of the BNP is in fact very close to nazism. key word here is EXTREME. believe it or not, not all manifestations of nationalism are good and honourable and inspired Ghandi. I don't think that Ghandi would have been a BNP member personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XmattieX)
    I didnt know germans were a race of people, just a nationality. Though i do understand that sentiment.

racism is never a good thing, i cannot understand why people would vote BNP, however it is there choice to make not mine.
    I can understand and I'm black.

ReputationRep:
    Racism -as I see it - is the direct consequence of ignorance. People see members of a race to possess certain characteristics and then believe that these characteristics are possessed by every member of that race. Somebody who thinks in this way is short-sighted, both not to know of somebody who defies this idea, or to disbelieve that anyone can possibly defy this idea.

You say that a certain race are all "extremists" who "continually suicidally bomb innocent members of the public." This is obviously false, as there isn't not a race in existent comprised entirely of extremist who suicide bomb the public. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're talking about Muslims. I know a person who is a Muslim who is quite moderate in his beliefs - certainly not an extremist - and who has not yet suicide bombed the public. The very existence of this person disproves your idea that all people of a race carry these characteristics.

The real question is though: is somebody belonging to a certain race more likely to possess the characteristics popularly displayed by others in this same group? The answer to that is too complex to muse upon in one post.

It's best - and in my opinion moral - to judge someone on an individual basis rather than a collective one.

ReputationRep:
    as long as you dont actually really hate a specific ethnic group simply because they are asian/black/whatever then a few 'racist' jokes and stuff are fine i think people are too touchy these days..other ethnic groups have jokes at the expense of white people why not the other way round..not harming anyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Economically they are not - they have more in common with the Greens than the Tories on many economic matters. Look at the below link.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/extremeright

"It's muddled thinking to simply describe the likes of the British National Party as "extreme right". The truth is that on issues like health, transport, housing, protectionism and globalisation, their economics are left of Labour, let alone the Conservatives. It's in areas like police power, military power, school discipline, law and order, race and nationalism that the BNP's real extremism - as authoritarians - is clear. "
    Believe it or not, political ideology is not solely determined on economic beliefs. Social factors are inherent too - hence why the political compass you referred to eveolved from a simple horizontal axis (economic) to a 4-point spectrum (incorportaing social)

ReputationRep:
    We are all from the same species no matter what our backgrounds are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asian-Oly)
    i woud have voted BNP for there policy to immideatly ban all imergrants
    UKIP? Conservative?

Flippin' 'eck.........and you're half Chinese. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moghul)
    UKIP? Conservative?

The Tories nor UKIP would ban all imergrants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XmattieX)

No what I meant that thos who have entered Britain have suffered from inhernet attacks for being the national enemy, such as there shops were attacked during world war one and two by mobs of hundreds and sometimes a few thousand British people. Some contempories argue that this is a racist attack as it aimed a immgrant minority ethicity. It goes to show that you dont have to a black ethinicty to suffer racism.

ReputationRep:
    Believe it or not, political ideology is not solely determined on economic beliefs. Social factors are inherent too - hence why the political compass you referred to eveolved from a simple horizontal axis (economic) to a 4-point spectrum (incorportaing social)
    Er yeah thanks for proving my point

ReputationRep:
    UKIP? Conservative?

UKIP want to stop immigration for 5 years, and I can't see them having a strong policy on illegal immigrants.

Under proposed tory policy,if it is successful,immigration will only fall by 27%. Their policies are pretty weak on illegal immigration aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Am i trying to justify it? I don't think so. This is what I mean, so many of these arguments are based on unfounded speculations. :rolleyes:
    No. I'm trying to justify it. You're trying to show it's something negative.

Then it maintained many manifestations didn't it? I'm sorry if I stated nationalism in general, I apologise for that, but the extreme nationalism of the BNP is in fact very close to nazism. key word here is EXTREME. believe it or not, not all manifestations of nationalism are good and honourable and inspired Ghandi. I don't think that Ghandi would have been a BNP member personally.
    I'm sorry but I don't see the BNP ordering their non-existant paramilitary wing to pillage synagogues, threaten voters into voting for their party, distributing copies of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, promising Lebensraum, and justifying dictatorship. Neither do I see any evidence pointing to the prospect of them forcing Muslims, Blacks, Jews and gays into concentration camps and murdering them on an industrial scale. The UAF on the other hand (replacing POTEOZ with leftist verbal diarrhoea and the ethnic minorities in the camps with anyone who disagrees with them)...........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    No what I meant that thos who have entered Britain have suffered from inhernet attacks for being the national enemy, such as there shops were attacked during world war one and two by mobs of hundreds and sometimes a few thousand British people. Some contempories argue that this is a racist attack as it aimed a immgrant minority ethicity. It goes to show that you dont have to a black ethinicty to suffer racism.

i knew what you meant, and i completely agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    UKIP want to stop immigration for 5 years, and I can't see them having a strong policy on illegal immigrants.

Under proposed tory policy,if it is successful,immigration will only fall by 27%. Their policies are pretty weak on illegal immigration aswell.
    Either way, both Parties possess quite stringent views on immigration and this, coupled with relatively rigid immigration laws in general, would have an exponentially dampening effect upon the subject matter overall.

The OP, like many others, seems as if he is ill-informedly opposed to immigration, hence the ambiguity in the nature of his responses.

ReputationRep:
    Either way, both Parties possess quite stringent views on immigration and this, coupled with relatively rigid immigration laws in general, would have an exponentially dampening effect upon the subject matter overall.

The OP, like many others, seems as if he is ill-informedly opposed to immigration, hence the ambiguity in the nature of his responses.
    The facts speak for themselves on these matters- a 27% cut in immigration makes little difference to overall trends, and neither does a 5 year ban alongside a weak illegal immigrant policy.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.