Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My friend had his birthday last week, and I didn't go. Long story short, I promised him I would, but on the same day I lost my bankcard and had NO cash on me (it was a sit-down Arab dinner thing, £20 a head - no cash). I knew he would pay for me if I'd told him, but I didn't want him to because allow it it's his birthday, that's a bit raw...right? So about an hour before I texted him "I'm really sorry, I can't come" blah blah blah, can I see you soon?
    Next day he sends me this really angry text about how it's typical for me to stall on him, how I'm really unreliable, and how he knows that I'm not there for him, etc... which REALLY pissed me off (although may be slightly true..?)

Cut story

I've been away for a few days on a potato farm. I came back 2 days ago, and texted him today at like 5ish "What are you doing..?" etc... he replies "I'm in Twickenham, I'll text you when I'm in Central ok?". Which I didn't reply.

At 9PM he texts me, "You still around?" and I'm like "No. Not now, I'm out with ......" which is true. Ok, bare in mind it's 4 hours after I texted him, he sends me this really angry reply all "Don't bother in the future then, I'm going away tomoz, longlonglong you make plans and break them".

Now he's really angry with me, and I'm like "EXCUSE ME!? I asked you 4 bloody hours ago, what was I supposed to do wait around all night?".

Now he's saying how unreliable I am, blah blah, how I always delay or stall him and he cba with me.

**** that... am I in the wrong here!?
    Argh, I'm so annoyed with him. :mad: :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    To be fair it sounds like you've both made mistakes. Would you may be best calling him and explaining?

ReputationRep:
    Oh and now he's just being an idiot and not answering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    My friend had his birthday last week, and I didn't go. Long story short, I promised him I would, but on the same day I lost my bankcard and had NO cash on me (it was a sit-down Arab dinner thing, £20 a head - no cash). I knew he would pay for me if I'd told him, but I didn't want him to because allow it it's his birthday, that's a bit raw...right?
    I'm sure your friends would rather have you borrow a bit of cash off them and turn up to their birthdays than to cancel on them.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should have told him the truth the first time around about losing your bank card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I'm sure your friends would rather have you borrow a bit of cash off them and turn up to their birthdays than to cancel on them.
    Possibly, but I dunno, borrowing money from someone on their birthday..?

Grr, I dunno. I've been a really awkward ***** with him lately I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I don't entirely sympathise - only because I've been the person whose friends always always let them down (nothing on birthdays, never ring or turn up when they say they will)...

And even though you're busy and you forget about these little incidents over the years, your mate is just going to roll his eyes and think "you don't turn up...again". It all adds up really.

Sounds like there's a bit of miscommunication here, so why don't yous organise yourselves instead of texting at the last minute, and say "meet me at the pub 8pm friday, I owe you some birthday drinks".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    To be fair it sounds like you've both made mistakes. Would you may be best calling him and explaining?
    Who is that girl in the sig? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)
    I think you should have told him the truth the first time around about losing your bank card.

I did. But tbh he always asks me if I wanna go out or whatever and I normally don't, simply because he always calls me at like 10PM ish when I'm either too lazy/sleepy/not dressed, or I have different plans.

I think he takes this not turning up to his birthday as an extension of that, and me not going to it is a massive indication that I don't value his friendship etc...

which isn't true.

Argh, I feel bad now.

ReputationRep:
    Aww What you did wasn't good (I'm sure you would have been able to lend money from someone). But then he expected you to make up for it and prove that you're reliable which is a bit childish. Don't tell him he was being childish though. Apologise. Annoy him with loads of texts and calls.

ReputationRep:
    If you are generally unreliable, I can understand him snapping as he may just think its another excuse. Ive had really unrealiable friends in the past and there honestly comes a point where you cant be arsed with it/them anymore. Having said that, he sounds as though he is being unreasonable on the last point atleast.

Did you actually tell him why you didnt go to his birthday in the end or just tell him that you couldnt go?

Maybe text him again just appologising if he feels you've messed him around but that wasnt your intention at all and that something really did come up on his birthday. Ask him if he wants to do something/get together when hes back.

If he doesnt reply/says no etc etc, well its his loss. Atleast you tried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psycho0101)
    Who is that girl in the sig? :eek:
    I've seen that questions like 10 times today! click on the bloody spoiler!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    Aww What you did wasn't good (I'm sure you would have been able to lend money from someone). But then he expected you to make up for it and prove that you're reliable which is a bit childish. Don't tell him he was being childish though. Apologise. Annoy him with loads of texts and calls.

I didn't know anyone going apart from him :\

(Although yeah, I could have worked something out)

I'm gonna call him tomorrow or something... :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Also do you know if other people cancelled on his birthday or not many people turned up? He could be upset about this.

ReputationRep:
    My friend had his birthday last week, and I didn't go. Long story short, I promised him I would, but on the same day I lost my bankcard and had NO cash on me (it was a sit-down Arab dinner thing, £20 a head - no cash). I knew he would pay for me if I'd told him, but I didn't want him to because allow it it's his birthday, that's a bit raw...right? So about an hour before I texted him "I'm really sorry, I can't come" blah blah blah, can I see you soon?
    Next day he sends me this really angry text about how it's typical for me to stall on him, how I'm really unreliable, and how he knows that I'm not there for him, etc... which REALLY pissed me off (although may be slightly true..?)

Cut story

I've been away for a few days on a potato farm. I came back 2 days ago, and texted him today at like 5ish "What are you doing..?" etc... he replies "I'm in Twickenham, I'll text you when I'm in Central ok?". Which I didn't reply.

At 9PM he texts me, "You still around?" and I'm like "No. Not now, I'm out with ......" which is true. Ok, bare in mind it's 4 hours after I texted him, he sends me this really angry reply all "Don't bother in the future then, I'm going away tomoz, longlonglong you make plans and break them".

Now he's really angry with me, and I'm like "EXCUSE ME!? I asked you 4 bloody hours ago, what was I supposed to do wait around all night?".

Now he's saying how unreliable I am, blah blah, how I always delay or stall him and he cba with me.

**** that... am I in the wrong here!?
    Argh, I'm so annoyed with him. :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I don't think you're in the wrong but you should have told him the truth on his birthday even if it is a little weird.

What did you do on the potato farm?

ReputationRep:
    I did. But tbh he always asks me if I wanna go out or whatever and I normally don't, simply because he always calls me at like 10PM ish when I'm either too lazy/sleepy/not dressed, or I have different plans.

I think he takes this not turning up to his birthday as an extension of that, and me not going to it is a massive indication that I don't value his friendship etc...

which isn't true.

Argh, I feel bad now.
    Tell him how you feel and make sure he knows that you do value his friendship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Examboy*)
    I don't think you're in the wrong but you should have told him the truth on his birthday even if it is a little weird.

Farm potatoes.

Nah, I was joking about that. I went to my grandparents, who live relatively near to one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    Also do you know if other people cancelled on his birthday or not many people turned up? He could be upset about this.
    Erm, I dunno.
    But he really wanted me to be there.

Oh ****, writing this down I feel guilty. It sorta is my fault.
    Argh.

I'm such a bad friend.
    Why did I make this thread?

ReputationRep:
    Erm, I dunno.
    But he really wanted me to be there.

Oh ****, writing this down I feel guilty. It sorta is my fault.
    Argh.

I'm such a bad friend.
    Why did I make this thread?

We all make mistakes. When possible try and call him and apologise and maybe try to arrange something you can do together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Examboy*)

My thoughts Tell him you'll make him fresh chips

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.