Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wanting to use my own car for my practicle test? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I've bought a Peugeot 206 LX model 5 doors for myself to practise my driving skills with. i bought it around 1 week ago and have been driving it every were.

So far ive taken 4 lessons with my instructor and he says im ready to take my test. ive booked it for this Friday.

What i want to know is can i take my car for the test? I know i need to buy a little mirror for the examiner and i already have L plates.

the car is insured under my dads name, Fully Comprehensive, however it's not insured unde rmy name...yet.

Can i take this car for my test? will they ask for proof wheather the car is insured under my name aswel?

Thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by touran22)
    Hi. I've bought a Peugeot 206 LX model 5 doors for myself to practise my driving skills with. i bought it around 1 week ago and have been driving it every were.

So far ive taken 4 lessons with my instructor and he says im ready to take my test. ive booked it for this Friday.

What i want to know is can i take my car for the test? I know i need to buy a little mirror for the examiner and i already have L plates.

the car is insured under my dads name, Fully Comprehensive, however it's not insured unde rmy name...yet.

Can i take this car for my test? will they ask for proof wheather the car is insured under my name aswel?

Thanks guys.
    they won't ask for proof, well they didn't for me, but i dunno if i would risk it. over £3000 for driving without insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can. I did my test in my dad's car to day. Failed it, but that isn't the point :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ND6)
    they won't ask for proof, well they didn't for me, but i dunno if i would risk it. over £3000 for driving without insurance.
    ohh ok. £3000 is how much they asked me to pay for side insurance with my dad (direct line..every were else was like £5000+)

ReputationRep:
    ohh ok. £3000 is how much they asked me to pay for side insurance with my dad (direct line..every were else was like £5000+)
    ahh right lol, i probably would risk it then if you really want to take it in your own car! I don't know the car but if it's a beast then they might check.

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering, don't you need those little pedals installed in your car aswell?

ReputationRep:
    You have to be insured to drive it, but it doesnt have to be in your name for you to use it for the test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ND6)
    ahh right lol, i probably would risk it then if you really want to take it in your own car! I don't know the car but if it's a beast then they might check.
    lool. Its not a beast...yet. Do you think its appropriate to tint the windows and take it to the test?

im planning to tint them on wednesday buti was thinking it might hinder my driving on the dayas you cant see as well obviously?

ReputationRep:
    Providing you get insured on it and get the mirror that the driving instructor sticks on the windscreen you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    You can do the test in your own car, I did.

I wasnt asked for any proof of insurance or anything when I did my test, just the standard photo ID etc.

And dont tint your windows before you go, you might land some prick instructor who will see a young guy with a flashy looking car and find any reason in the book to fail you.

ReputationRep:
    You can get provisional insurance for £80 a month on anything from Collingwood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absinth)
    I was just wondering, don't you need those little pedals installed in your car aswell?
    no.... hopefully people taking their test wont be that bad (a generalisation i know...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shrep)
    You can get provisional insurance for £80 a month on anything from Collingwood.
    really? anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dougiemacs)
    no.... hopefully people taking their test wont be that bad (a generalisation i know...)
    You'd be surprised! :eek: (not me).

ReputationRep:
    I took my test in my own car. As you say you do need one of those little mirrors for the instructor and the L plates. You do need to be insured on the car though. I don't think driving without insurance will go down well. I also think that the driver who is with you in the car must be insured too, so I was advised when I made my booking on the phone. Not quite sure why, it could be because they advise that someone else drive home even if you pass.
    All the requirements will be online, or you could ring the DVLA http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...vers/index.htm
    Good luck with your test

ReputationRep:
    really? anything?
    Any car that's in an insurance group less than 16 I think if you want to be arsey about it, but the point was that it would cover his.

ReputationRep:
    Do you really not? I took my first test and failed, the examiner used the dual controls..

Have another test booked but for a date my instructor can't do...so technically I can use my parents car?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absinth)
    Nope

Took my test in my own car and passed first time so good luck OP!

ReputationRep:
    lool. Its not a beast...yet. Do you think its appropriate to tint the windows and take it to the test?

im planning to tint them on wednesday buti was thinking it might hinder my driving on the dayas you cant see as well obviously?
    no no no, don't do it, i got told not to wear a hoody to the test, they are really stereotypical and would see u as a boy racer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ND6)
    no no no, don't do it, i got told not to wear a hoody to the test, they are really stereotypical and would see u as a boy racer.
    ahh man. i hope i pass first time then! lol.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.