Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wanting to use my own car for my practicle test? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hang on...so you've been driving it everywhere but it's only insured for your dad and not for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benjybh)
    Hang on...so you've been driving it everywhere but it's only insured for your dad and not for you?
    yeah loool. i havent been driving it on my own every were..all the time any way, just here and there. :P

ReputationRep:
    1) You can't drive by yourself if you haven't passed
    2) You can't drive without insurance
    3) You can't 'front' your insurance by having your dad insuring your car under his name with you as a named driver.

And people wonder why insurance costs so much these days

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Good luck, I was meant to be doing my test in my own car but it had no seatbelts or wing mirrors (age), so ended up taking my mums car, I did take proof of insurance, MOT cert, V5 logbook (or my mum did lol) don't remember being asked to show them.

Passed 1st time, three weeks after my 17th so proof you don't need these instructors or to be driving one of their cars! The examiner cannot discriminate based on the car you are driving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benjybh)
    1) You can't drive by yourself if you haven't passed
    2) You can't drive without insurance
    3) You can't 'front' your insurance by having your dad insuring your car under his name with you as a named driver.

And people wonder why insurance costs so much these days
    I don't get why people do No. 3, insurance has ALWAYS worked out cheaper with me insuring the car and having parents on as 2nd drivers! Don't know if this is the case for everyone.

Mind you it's coming up to 4 years ago I was 17!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by touran22)
    yeah loool. i havent been driving it on my own every were..all the time any way, just here and there. :P
    its pricks like you that make our insurance so high :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    ive booked it for this Friday.
    How far in advance did you have to book it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Absinth)
    I was just wondering, don't you need those little pedals installed in your car aswell?
    If you need dual controls when you're taking your test, there is something VERY wrong, and you probably shouldn't be taking it.

EDIT: I am aware it is possible to need them, but you shouldn't need them specifically installed if they aren't already there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Porscha!)
    I don't get why people do No. 3, insurance has ALWAYS worked out cheaper with me insuring the car and having parents on as 2nd drivers! Don't know if this is the case for everyone.

Mind you it's coming up to 4 years ago I was 17!
    You already know why people do it and it is quite clear why.. It is obviously cheaper if they front that way, just like it is for me.. Stop trying to brag and get your bit of glory in their, it's boring.. Sigh.. ;//

ReputationRep:
    It's illegal...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktom91)
    its pricks like you that make our insurance so high :rolleyes:
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparxy)
    You already know why people do it and it is quite clear why.. It is obviously cheaper if they front that way, just like it is for me.. Stop trying to brag and get your bit of glory in their, it's boring.. Sigh.. ;//
    Sorry but you are wrong, it wasn't cheaper for me at all (not saying it's not cheaper for other people), my mum actually "fronted" an E36 coupe the other way about two years ago, insured in my name but she was the one who drove it the most (which is what I presume you mean by "fronting") Why because it was £200 p/a cheaper, the car was sold within two months.

What I am "bragging" about exactly?! **** me, I've spent enough on insurance over the past years, to know what is for ME cheapest, thankyou very much.

Theres some jealous people out there, I'll take a guess you drive some FWD piece of **** that you paid over the odds for, awwwww well better luck next time, hey! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Its illegal! You need to be named on the insurance if you are driving it anywhere, even as a learner. It shouldnt cost that much, as its always cheaper as a learner than as a newly passed driver. If you can afford it then how are you going to pay it once you've passed your test!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Porscha!)
    Sorry but you are wrong, it wasn't cheaper for me at all (not saying it's not cheaper for other people), my mum actually "fronted" an E36 coupe the other way about two years ago, insured in my name but she was the one who drove it the most (which is what I presume you mean by "fronting") Why because it was £200 p/a cheaper, the car was sold within two months.

What I am "bragging" about exactly?! **** me, I've spent enough on insurance over the past years, to know what is for ME cheapest, thankyou very much.

Theres some jealous people out there, I'll take a guess you drive some FWD piece of **** that you paid over the odds for, awwwww well better luck next time, hey! :rolleyes:
    I don't drive anything at the moment, hell, I'm yet to pass my test.

Clever **** aren't you? But I've done quotes and it is cheaper for me and all of my other friends to 'front' than to insure it for themselves..

Anyway, what do you mean 'you are wrong' ? I said you know why people do it.. Not 'it is cheaper for everyone to front'..

I have nothing to be jealous over either.. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    And, as has been stated, it's people like you who front their insurance illegally - yes, I reiterate illegally that push everyone else's premiums up so much.

ReputationRep:
    Someone asked about this not long ago. Check here for advice.

Also, how old is your 206? If it's an 02 or earlier registration, it's subject to a safety recall won't be accepted on test unless you can show that work has been done by the garage. Check here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...Test/DG_173035

ReputationRep:
    id definitely recommend taking the test in your own car if you're more used to it. it makes such a difference. saying that, you would have to be insured to drive the car for the test, even if they don't check documents cos its illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparxy)
    I don't drive anything at the moment, hell, I'm yet to pass my test.

Clever **** aren't you? But I've done quotes and it is cheaper for me and all of my other friends to 'front' than to insure it for themselves..

Anyway, what do you mean 'you are wrong' ? I said you know why people do it.. Not 'it is cheaper for everyone to front'..

I have nothing to be jealous over either.. :eek3:

Always amuses me reading posts from people with zero experience on a subject who think they know better than those who do.

Both Porscha! and I deal with insurance in exactly the same way and similarly I've never paid silly prices for car insurance. The most I've ever paid was £800 exactly with Adrian flux on a 3.5 litre MGB GT V8 that I built myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Always amuses me reading posts from people with zero experience on a subject who think they know better than those who do.

Both Porscha! and I deal with insurance in exactly the same way and similarly I've never paid silly prices for car insurance. The most I've ever paid was £800 exactly with Adrian flux on a 3.5 litre MGB GT V8 that I built myself.
    Since when was experience classed as zero experience? Being completely ignorant and ignored the part were I've had multiple quotes myself and all of my friends have tried both sides (parents main, them named -- them main, parents named).. Always been cheaper to front, from personal experience and all of my friends who drive.

Not just the 2 of you, who both only drive classic cars, or old cars.. ;/

ReputationRep:
    Any muppet can pick up the car and say "how much is this please mister?"

Even modern cars... I don't pay that much. My Ovlov 850 was about £480 and my current jag is looking like it'll be around the £500 mark. Ive heard of some people paying £2k for a dull little hatch. Well, if that's what they want to do then fine. The option is definately there to buy a better car and pay less for it. Some of us actually choose to do this.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.