Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you think London is the most organized city?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    Well I haven't been to many big cities but yeah, I think London is very well organized
    Brits, how do you do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    What do you mean?
    Do you think it's well organized? I also mean companies etc...

ReputationRep:
    Organised in what way? There are hubs of activity i.e. Business - Canary wharf, Entertainment - Leicester Square etc. You could say this is organised. The traffic system is a nightmare, so call that disorganised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Mary)
    Well I haven't been to many big cities but yeah, I think London is very well organized
    Brits, how do you do it?
    It was those lovely Victorians - have a look out for a book called "Building Jerusalem - the rise and fall of the Victorian City."

The building of some of the tube lines (district & metropolitan) are directly underneath some of the main highways. Metropolitan boards were responsible for all the utilities and stuff was co-ordinated. (It never used to be like that).

But it was only because stuff got really bad before then and affected the rich and powerful that they decided to do something about it and spend lots of money procuring the finest minds in the world to come up with solutions.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean? Anyway New York > London :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I think London is an overcrowded mess, but with a somewhat organised system.

I also don't make much sense after 9 pm. Sorri.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    In terms of transport. No, no, no, and another pint of no. In fact nothing is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    Hello baby, i missed u ^^ what you been up to? (remember me? your ex)

ReputationRep:
    More organised chaos, I would have thought.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by lnx)
    Hello baby, i missed u ^^ what you been up to? (remember me? your ex)
    Sigh. Who the **** are you?

ReputationRep:
    Londons transport system is the most organised pile of mess you will ever come across. Over its history there are many times there has been a chance to overhaul the system but in each case NIMBYism ruled so noone benefitted. I think the most recent one was amongst a more organised road network, they were goin to sort out the south circular so is resembled the A406 today. but no, they wernt having that and result - south circulars blocked, and the north circulars blocked.
    The most impressive thing is that even in London there are distinctive rush hours and not a single unending 9 to 5 jam.

ReputationRep:
    Well it exists. Does that count as organised?

ReputationRep:
    When there's less than 2cm of snowfall...perhaps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    Dude, what are you on about? Sorry, I totally disagree. If you dont know how it works which is hard not to if you ask me then maybe. Once you know how to use the transport system it is. I grant I dont know all transport systems but I'd say it has one of the greatest in the world. It is so much better than places anywhere else in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    lol public transport in well not that organised at time, the tube fails to run when its too hot, or too cold what a nice system

another then that it runs well

ReputationRep:
    It's survived up to now, is that organised enough?

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is very organised. The public transport (despite whining) is stupidly efficient compared to any other UK location. Traffic jams are rife but then again there are quite a lot of barmy Londoners driving into work every day.

I find it better than New York, for the record.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    Dude, what are you on about? Sorry, I totally disagree. If you dont know how it works which is hard not to if you ask me then maybe. Once you know how to use the transport system it is. I grant I dont know all transport systems but I'd say it has one of the greatest in the world. It is so much better than places anywhere else in the UK.
    I've lived here all my life. I know how it works, there are always delays, most of the lines are closed over the weekends, etc.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.