Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Sorry in advance, for this question - I realise there is an awful lot of information to help out there, not least of all on this site, but I am pretty terrible at making head or tails of it. I am an English student entering my third year, and I have been considering making an application for a Social Anthropology masters.

From the looks of it, SocAnth would only be funded by the ESRC if it was a research degree wather than a taught masters. But as I would be coming from outside the discipline, it seems that I would not be eligible to take a research masters without first having a bachelors or taught masters in Anthropology at many (perhaps all?) universities. Does this really mean that it would be impossible for me to get funding for a taught masters in SocAnth, at least from the funding council?

Thanks in advance for any knowing replies, and apologies if this turns out to be a silly question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dann)
    Hello,

Sorry in advance, for this question - I realise there is an awful lot of information to help out there, not least of all on this site, but I am pretty terrible at making head or tails of it. I am an English student entering my third year, and I have been considering making an application for a Social Anthropology masters.

From the looks of it, SocAnth would only be funded by the ESRC if it was a research degree wather than a taught masters. But as I would be coming from outside the discipline, it seems that I would not be eligible to take a research masters without first having a bachelors or taught masters in Anthropology at many (perhaps all?) universities. Does this really mean that it would be impossible for me to get funding for a taught masters in SocAnth, at least from the funding council?

Thanks in advance for any knowing replies, and apologies if this turns out to be a silly question.
    Yeh looks like it, you might want to consider the Career Development Loan option instead.

You may be able to get funding for a taught masters under the 1+3 schemes for anthropology even with an undergraduate degree in English. It would be a stretch to successfully sign up now for a masters and PhD in a subject you hadn't formally studied before though.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I assume you want to take this Masters onto a PhD? If you don't then stop reading now, as there is no way you'll be funded for the masters alone through the ESRC, if you were to get 1+3 funding (masters+PhD) then drop out, they may make you reimburse them.

The degree you have is only part of the story for getting funding. I know English Lit students with funded PhDs in Celtic Studies (AHRC), and economics grads doing PhDs in history (albeit economic history). Apply for it anyway, because they'll look for a number of things- one is how what you've studied in English is related to what you wish to research, another is your academic record to date and suitability to do said research, third is the project proposal (very important) and fourth is references (also important). If you can tick (or excel) in all of those boxes, and they think the project sounds worthwhile, and that you are the student to do it, then you might well get funding. They won't write you off because of your degree, but you will have to work harder to prove to them you'll make a better candidate than a current SocAnth graduate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    You may be able to get funding for a taught masters under the 1+3 schemes for anthropology even with an undergraduate degree in English. It would be a stretch to successfully sign up now for a masters and PhD in a subject you hadn't formally studied before though.
    From what I understood though, the 1+3 schemes run on the proviso that the 1 year is research led, not taught. And unfortunately I'm not eligible for such a course.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Dann)
    From what I understood though, the 1+3 schemes run on the proviso that the 1 year is research led, not taught. And unfortunately I'm not eligible for such a course.
    The 'research led' is a misnomer. It's a taught masters on research, so in the case of mine, 6 modules on quants/quals/research process/disciplinary methods etc. There's no reason why you couldn't do that from another discipline since it's taught basically from scratch.

Edit: I've added a section to the wiki guide that deals with this question in full:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...our_background...

(Original post by Dann)
    No- the 1 year can be taught. Some of my friends are doing this - but economics not anthropology. IlexAquifolium's post is useful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.